Eight Week Session - Worth it?

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have not trained in a little over a year now. Personal reasons, nothing at all to do with the school or instructors. I cannot speak highly enough about the school I was training at. (SPM)

Anyway, I have been interested in Krav Maga but the nearest school is too far for me to attend. There is a school in my town offering an 8 week Krav Maga course. Classes are only once a week, so 8 classes. Is it worth it? Seems like it could do nothing but cover the basic of basics and my interest lies in really training the system. But, if I could come away with some quick and effective techniques....

I've attached the PDF flyer for the course.
What are your thoughts? Worth it or waste of time and money?

Attachments

• $CKM Flyer new sessions.pdf
    505 KB · Views: 308

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm personally not a fan of short courses nor seminars. I feel that you don't have enough time to really learn the material well, and neither do you develop the long-term relationship with the instructor to get the ongoing corrections to really solidify the material.

If you are thinking about switching over to krav maga, this might be a good way to give it a test spin. Otherwise, in my opinion, I just don't see it as worth the time nor money.

I know a lot of people will disagree with me, and say that you should study with anyone and everyone you can. All the power to them. But I disagree.

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Tough call...$100 bucks seems steep to me. BUT...Would be nice if you could network and see whom else may have taken the course previously and get their take on it....

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The only problem I can see JD is this what is being covered, if it is truely Krav Mega then they start off with great SD techs that can be used immediately. With that being said there is so many that took a weekend seminar and now try and teach this style, more info is need for making the right decission.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I am not a big fan of short courses or seminars either and $100 does seem a bit steep for an hour but it was a short course that got me into CMA and gave me the opportunity to find out more about it and find other teachers so it could have some benefit.

If you want it go for it, we're not there and you are so it is ultimately your call

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You don't know until you try. If you have not trained in a year, maybe this will light a fire off the ambers, that are enviously still lit. Once a week for 8 weeks is not intrusive, and may be fun. The fact of the matter is, you can network, get a feel for something you are interested in, and perhaps begin to get back into training, if not there then somewhere.

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good points everyone. Thanks for the feedback. :asian:

I agree with the short course train of thought, though I have been interested in Krav Maga. It may be a waste of time and money if all I'm gonna get is the 8 hours with no place to follow up. I'll think about it. I wanted to get your opinions as the only time I've done short courses have been one day seminars sponsored my first school with guest instructors in complimentary arts.

I'd like to explore some other arts too, but not really sure what I'm interested in, except like I said, the Krav Maga peaked my interest.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
may I ask, what has been interfering with your regular training, and do you wish to get back with your school again? If so, would that not be the best way to spend your time and money?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well...if it were me, I wouldn't chose it for myself.I've trained with a lot of folks that can see material and pick it up right away, either just from a demo or from a brief explanation. My hat is off to them, but I am not that good at picking up material so for me, $95 for a 1 hour group class is ridiculous.

That being said...that is me, making a training decision for myself. But this is your training. If you feel that it interests you and it would be worth it to you, that is the best reason to do it. :)

But be careful. The man behind Commando Krav Maga has already gotten in to trouble in the UK for making claims that he wasn't able to back up.

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello JT!

How are you? Have not heard from you in awhile and sorry to hear that you stopped training in SPM. Well, I can say that Commando Krav Maga is not Krav Maga from what I have heard. I would stay away. He is the guy who promotes people to instructor in a weekend. STAY AWAY!

Now, if you wish to train in Krav Maga, then, research them. I am an Instructor with the International Krav Maga Federation (IKMF) and it is considered to be the leading source for Krav Maga. Other respectable organizations are Krav Maga Federation (KMF), Krav Maga Worldwide (KMWW), International Krav Maga Association (IKMA).

Here is a KMWW school in your area:

http://www.powkickboxing.com/

Go check them out.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's a chance to dip your toes into another system, and get yourself back into training.

But at $100 for 8 hours of instruction (1 hour a week, for eight weeks)... That's not a lot of training for the bucks. You'd almost get a better exposure in a good weekend seminar...

I also kind of suspect that they'll be encouraging at least taking the "repeat the session" option... if not pushing their regular schedule and billing...

And I'd look at the instructor; as noted, Krav Maga is one of the big things of the moment, and lots of people are getting quick certifications...

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Edit...never mind

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I love what I've seen of KM and I love seminars. I try to take away one or two useful things from any seminar I attend. More than two, bonus ... but you can only absorb so much, and you need somewhere to train to consolidate your new techniques.

In Commando Krav Maga, you will learn:

&#61623;&#61472;
To defeat any attacker, even when they

have a weapon such as a gun or knife ...... mmm!

&#61623;&#61472;

To control or immobilize your opponent

immediately - regardless of size. ..... mmm!

&#61623;&#61472;

To execute crucial, straightforward

moves that can save your life. .. ok sounds reasonable.

&#61623;&#61472;

To become devastating in hand-to-hand
combat! ............. yeah right!

I'm blown out of the water! In 8 hours, for $800, I can do what they claim? I must have wasted years of my life, and a pile of cash!
icon11.gif

There's a saying somewhere about "If something seems to good to be true .....!"
I think I would be investing my hard earned elsewhere, where people don't make such extravagant claims. :asian:​

kior

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Save your money. 'Commando Krav Maga' has no relation to krav maga, it's a scam organisation trading off on the name and is basically judo/jiujitsu but with more combat trousers! You can become certified as an instructor with a 3 day course!

As already mentioned I'd recommend finding a legit school in your area and training there. It's a great system if you can find good teachers.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I love what I've seen of KM and I love seminars. I try to take away one or two useful things from any seminar I attend. More than two, bonus ... but you can only absorb so much, and you need somewhere to train to consolidate your new techniques.

I'm blown out of the water! In 8 hours, for $800, I can do what they claim? I must have wasted years of my life, and a pile of cash!
icon11.gif

There's a saying somewhere about "If something seems to good to be true .....!"
I think I would be investing my hard earned elsewhere, where people don't make such extravagant claims. :asian:​

Actually I think I read the flyer wrong the first time. I think I was reading it as $95 each week, but after reading through it again it looks like $95 for each 8 week session.

Which is still a wee bit pricey. Market rate for a martial arts school here is $100/month and for that $100 you can train 6 days a week if you want.

But still...$100 for 8 week sessions may be an interesting thing to do. I still have my doubts about the organization, but its not a huge loss if Jade tries it and finds it to be bunk.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Actually I think I read the flyer wrong the first time. I think I was reading it as $95 each week, but after reading through it again it looks like $95 for each 8 week session.

Which is still a wee bit pricey. Market rate for a martial arts school here is $100/month and for that $100 you can train 6 days a week if you want.

But still...$100 for 8 week sessions may be an interesting thing to do. I still have my doubts about the organization, but its not a huge loss if Jade tries it and finds it to be bunk.
I mis-read the flyer too. My mistake, sorry to get all upset.
icon11.gif
$95 is probably reasonable if the content is good. Then you can keep practising, if you need to, for $60.
I still think the claims are over the top. Could I really be all that for just $95? I don't think so!!
icon10.gif

Sorry about shouting in the previous post. I had edited the text on my screen but that was obviously lost on transmission. :asian:

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello JT!

How are you? Have not heard from you in awhile and sorry to hear that you stopped training in SPM. Well, I can say that Commando Krav Maga is not Krav Maga from what I have heard. I would stay away. He is the guy who promotes people to instructor in a weekend. STAY AWAY!

Now, if you wish to train in Krav Maga, then, research them. I am an Instructor with the International Krav Maga Federation (IKMF) and it is considered to be the leading source for Krav Maga. Other respectable organizations are Krav Maga Federation (KMF), Krav Maga Worldwide (KMWW), International Krav Maga Association (IKMA).

Here is a KMWW school in your area:

http://www.powkickboxing.com/

Go check them out.

Save your money. 'Commando Krav Maga' has no relation to krav maga, it's a scam organisation trading off on the name and is basically judo/jiujitsu but with more combat trousers! You can become certified as an instructor with a 3 day course!

As already mentioned I'd recommend finding a legit school in your area and training there. It's a great system if you can find good teachers.

I mis-read the flyer too. My mistake, sorry to get all upset.
icon11.gif
$95 is probably reasonable if the content is good. Then you can keep practising, if you need to, for $60.
I still think the claims are over the top. Could I really be all that for just $95? I don't think so!!
icon10.gif

Sorry about shouting in the previous post. I had edited the text on my screen but that was obviously lost on transmission. :asian:

Yeah, it's $95 for the eight weeks. After hearing about "Commando" Krav Maga from these posts I doubt I'll follow through. I wanted to get a taste of Krav Maga and since there are no schools teaching the actual system near enough to me to investigate, I wondered if something like this would be worth checking out.

Unfortunately, since the school hosting the courses doesn't teach the system, and it doesn't appear to be given by a guest instructor, it's probably bunk and most likely a marketing tool to get people interested in Krav Maga to join their school instead.

I will think on it though. If I go for it and it's bunk, it's bunk. 95 bucks is not too huge a loss (I'd never pay that per class, lol!) I guess it would be an interesting experience either way, though I'm leaning against it now.

Thanks everyone! :asian:

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, it's $95 for the eight weeks. After hearing about "Commando" Krav Maga from these posts I doubt I'll follow through. I wanted to get a taste of Krav Maga and since there are no schools teaching the actual system near enough to me to investigate, I wondered if something like this would be worth checking out.

Go to Krav Maga Worldwide's website. They have many locations around the US.

http://www.kravmaga.com/

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Go to Krav Maga Worldwide's website. They have many locations around the US.

http://www.kravmaga.com/

Agreed. If it does interest you, take a look around. I was looking around some local school web sites trying to find the contact info for someone I had recommended in the past, and was (pleasantly) surprised to see at least two of them that offered Krav Maga.

Latest Discussions