ed parker and bruce lee

drummingman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i have read that bruce lee studied with ed parker of american kenpo fame.does anyone know what bruce took for those lessons and put into jkd?

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Based on all the books I have read about Bruce Lee, he incorporated any extra training into his method of fighting. He tried to learn all he could about other styles and their restrictions and "holes".

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
Many of Bruces students came from Ed Parkers pool of Black belts so to speak. I am sure they both took a little something from their experience with knowing each other. PEACE

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To my knowledge, Lee never formally trained with Parker; however, Ed Parker did introduce Lee to many martial artists at one of his tournaments (Long Beach Int'l or something...I can't remember off the top of my head).

There may have been a sharing of knowledge on both sides, but one was never the instructor of the other.

Cthulhu

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Many of Bruces students came from Ed Parkers pool of Black belts so to speak. I am sure they both took a little something from their experience with knowing each other. PEACE

I have seen picture of Dan Inosanto training at a Parker school before he started training with Bruce Lee.

AoG

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To my knowledge, Lee never formally trained with Parker; however, Ed Parker did introduce Lee to many martial artists at one of his tournaments (Long Beach Int'l or something...I can't remember off the top of my head).

There may have been a sharing of knowledge on both sides, but one was never the instructor of the other.

Cthulhu
Actually, although not formal, Bruce Lee did work with Mr. Parker. From my understanding, Bruce was easily sweepable and Mr. Parker helped him with this problem.
Sean

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Lets think several of Parkers students gave up Kenpo to learn what Bruce was doing. Second Bruce put his own trwist to his concept of training. Parker and Lee perhaps exchanged ideas But that may be all there was to it

Rook

Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually, although not formal, Bruce Lee did work with Mr. Parker. From my understanding, Bruce was easily sweepable and Mr. Parker helped him with this problem.
Sean

This is problematic in that there are an aweful lot of people that claimed they were the ones responsible for various skills that Bruce developed. Since Parker and Lee had met, I wouldn't find it hard to believe that they trained together (Inosanto says as much)... but I doubt the stories that Lee's weaknesses were patched by anyone in particular.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is problematic in that there are an aweful lot of people that claimed they were the ones responsible for various skills that Bruce developed. Since Parker and Lee had met, I wouldn't find it hard to believe that they trained together (Inosanto says as much)... but I doubt the stories that Lee's weaknesses were patched by anyone in particular.
I didn't say he fixed the problem. I just know that was a lesson gone over and discussed. An issue if you will.
Sean

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
Lets think several of Parkers students gave up Kenpo to learn what Bruce was doing. Second Bruce put his own trwist to his concept of training. Parker and Lee perhaps exchanged ideas But that may be all there was to it

Yes, some of Parker's students went to train for a little bit with Bruce Lee. Many of those students also came back to Parker.

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
And also some students from the other schools went back saying they were teaching JKD and were expelled from further learning. Parker was right in his ways As was Bruce in his. Good thing back then was that several of the old timers gave each other respect as they still do today. I think Parker and Lee respected each other Bruce was a new twist to the Martial Arts in the 60s as little was taught from the Gung Fu side. And Bruce did make a big dent on how we look at the M/A And Parker helped to expose the M/A at an early time will be remembered But both led there own path We have to do the same Learn what we will And make it ours

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've heard all kinds of stories saying that such and such instructor from such and such system taught/fixed/trained Lee some technique or another. I take all those stories with a grain of salt. A salt lick size grain.

Cthulhu

Brian Jones

Blue Belt
Reaction score
OK, to a point. Sure some are going to try to cash on on Lee's fame. But he was human, and he didn't come to America at 18 or 19 and know everythign about the Marital Arts. I odn't think it diminshes anything to say someone helped him, or taught thim something.

Brian Jones

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
OK, to a point. Sure some are going to try to cash on on Lee's fame. But he was human, and he didn't come to America at 18 or 19 and know everythign about the Marital Arts. I odn't think it diminshes anything to say someone helped him, or taught thim something.

Brian Jones
Sure Bruce learned from others or was suggested on change to get where he went. Bruce first learned that Just Wing Chun and his size aginst American students he must change He did that very fast. Lees Fame should be over looked Only What Lee exposed As its called Jun Fan or JKD Should be trained As a workable concept Of a M/A Not because money can be made off of his name. But some like money more Often those do not make the better instructors do they. You have to Lets say Love what you do Or at least like it very much to push your self towards a goal Of learning Not just about Money. Look at Bruce As Man and a guide and learn from what he set out to show with his Art. Then its your No name but yours.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've heard all kinds of stories saying that such and such instructor from such and such system taught/fixed/trained Lee some technique or another. I take all those stories with a grain of salt. A salt lick size grain.

Cthulhu
Makes the Kool-aid taste a bit salty.

Atlanta-Kenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I asked this particular question to a well know American Kenpo female 6th degree black belt who grow up in that area. She basical knows everyone and if she doesn't the peole that she knows, knows them. Anyhow, she informed me that for a period of time Bruce Lee actually lived in Parkers house. I have studied both arts and the motion is very simlar. So, as to who taught what or who was better or knew more. Well, that is simply stupid. Both were very good but I do think that Parker was ahead of Lee in some ways and I think Lee's JKD was very ahead of his time s well. So, thank you Ed Parker and thank you Bruce Lee for training together. You both left us enough material for a lifetime.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I asked this particular question to a well know American Kenpo female 6th degree black belt who grow up in that area. She basical knows everyone and if she doesn't the peole that she knows, knows them. Anyhow, she informed me that for a period of time Bruce Lee actually lived in Parkers house. I have studied both arts and the motion is very simlar. So, as to who taught what or who was better or knew more. Well, that is simply stupid. Both were very good but I do think that Parker was ahead of Lee in some ways and I think Lee's JKD was very ahead of his time s well. So, thank you Ed Parker and thank you Bruce Lee for training together. You both left us enough material for a lifetime.

Very well said! :asian: Why quibble over who said/did more or less and how they influenced the future? Doesn't matter--we benefitted from them. Thank you.

- Ceicei

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, some of Parker's students went to train for a little bit with Bruce Lee. Many of those students also came back to Parker.
Dan Inosanto, Larry Hartsell. Jerry Poteet, Steve Golden. All JKD instructors that left Parker as black belts and didn't go back and still teach JKD. I'm sure there are more and I don't know of any that left Bruce to go to Ed. Anyone have any names?

Latest Discussions