Is JKD the way bruce intended?

Jelik

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Dancing Dragon said:

"We asked Bruce about this and he said, "Why should I teach someone to beat me?" It was true. Why should he spend all his time developing his personal style and then give it away to someone else who might one day challenge him."

This is a much better way to have put my long winded example earlier ;-)

Cheers.

Dancing Dragon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Jelik. It's because he seemingly left the art incomplete is why JKD should have died with him. His philosophies and ideas still live on, but the art itself should have been laid to rest in my opinion. I also remember in the book called "Jeet Kune Do", part of the Bruce Lee library, it states "Of my art--gung fu and jeet kune do--only one of 10,000 can handle it. It is martial art. Complete offensive attacks. It is silly to think almost anyone can learn it. It isn't really contemporary forms of the art I teach. Mainly that which I work with--martial attack. It is a smooth rhythmic expression of smashing the guy before he hits you, with any method available."

And from that I believe that regardless of what he intended, no one can ever duplicate his ability, but I'm happy that those he taught took his teachings and developed their own styles. But I don't think they should label it Jeet Kune Do, because it's Bruce's art, and he never taught every secret.

Latest Discussions