the hammer principle

Zaose

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It's basically a principle of aligning your lead hand elbow forward at your opponent's face and firing from there. "Dropping the Hammer" is when your hand "falls" into that alignment and fires in a smooth action that is non-telegraphic, past and powerful.

The Wed. night group has some guys who are really good at it, I hear.

Zaose

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Perhaps you are just joking - but winging the elbow is telegraphic and ruins the structure of the punch. If you have proper alignment and structure, then this is natural enough. Works for me, anyway. :)

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Think of it as a slight drop of the hand right befor you strike. Knid of a relaxed movement. You may only drop a quater of inch or a inch Do not really worry about lineing any thing up.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Think of it as a slight drop of the hand right befor you strike. Knid of a relaxed movement. You may only drop a quater of inch or a inch Do not really worry about lineing any thing up.
The drop is in the shoulder; of course, the hand is attached.
Sean

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I guess we could go very indept on the subject. Better to just do it and let it happen rather then use the concept as a structure to body movement. Its like the idea of using your hip to gain power But other body parts kick in to. Much easyer to say put your hip into it. Rather then break it all down

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Best not to study body mechnics? I beg to differ.
Sean
I was not saying do not understand your movements Just do not over indulge the movements. Forarm drop is right for The hammer concept. And The rest of the body movement kicks in as you strike . First step is forarm forward motion hip rotation and foot pivot. then retraction or continued motion depends on what you do next.

joeygil

Green Belt
Reaction score
From what I understand the concept behind the hammer princible is to reduce the opposing muscle group (bicep) tension.

Holding your arm up while in bai-jong, requires tensing your bicep. If you punch direclty from there, you have to fight the tension in your bicep as your triceps extend your arm.

With the hammer drop, you relax the bicep just before firing the punch, negating any resistance from it.

Is that the jist of it?

simplicity

Green Belt
Reaction score
Bob Bremer two weekends ago drop the Hammer Principle on me. He also taught it to me and everyone else at the WNG Camp in Las Vegas, NV. The ideal is the hand moves before the body and it drop down, just like hitting a nail with a hammer. The hand leaves the eye site, for a second until its to late for you to pick it up, the next thing you know is you just been hit in the forehead, LOL.......Crack-CA-Pow!

Take "IT" Easy,
Sifu John McNabney

joeygil

Green Belt
Reaction score
Bob Bremer two weekends ago drop the Hammer Principle on me. He also taught it to me and everyone else at the WNG Camp in Las Vegas, NV. The ideal is the hand moves before the body and it drop down, just like hitting a nail with a hammer. The hand leaves the eye site, for a second until its to late for you to pick it up, the next thing you know is you just been hit in the forehead, LOL.......Crack-CA-Pow!

Take "IT" Easy,
Sifu John McNabney

Out of curiousity, what range were you guys starting at? Were you at medium/boxing range already? Or was long footwork required to get close enough to punch, say if you started at long range, outside where you can comfortably punch?

I'm trying to figure out the best body mechanics for this. I'd assume it would go with a push shuffle.

Latest Discussions