Drill 1 step 1 punch 1000 times

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I realize I quoted you and answered this before but I was reading "Philosophy of Martial Arts" from Shen Wu and this paragraph is very applicable to this type of training

Philosophy of Martial Arts
Yup, it boils down to quality over quantity.

Now there is an argument to say that a greater quantity of high quality is better than a lesser quantity of equally high quality. This is true, but conditioning and fatigue then becomes a deciding factor.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Have you ever drilled "1 step 1 punch" 1000 times non-stop? Please share your experience here.

For example, to repeat XingYi Pi Chuan 1000 times (about 500 meters) non-stop.

I'm not a fan of drilling something 1000 times

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Beng quan turn is very similar to the dragon kick
When you do your Pi, do you

- inhale when you right fist go out as Tsuan, and
- exhale when your left palm go out as Pi.

or

- inhale and exhale when you right fist go out as Tsuan, and
- inhale and exhale when your left palm go out as Pi?

If I use the

- 1st method, my breathing will be slow. I don't generate much power in Tsuan. My Tsuan is only used to set up Pi.
- 2nd method, my breathing will be a bit faster. But I can generate power in both Tsuan and Pi.

In other words, do you like to consider Pi as 2 moves (Tsuan and Pi), or just Pi?

Just wonder which way do you prefer?

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of drilling something 1000 times
I just started to do this in 2018. I try to compare which drill I can do 1000 times and which drill I can't and find out why. For those drills that I have hard time to repeat 1000 times, may be my body is not relax enough. One thing that I have found out is 1000 kicks non-stop can be bad for the knee joint.

I did 1000 XingYi Pi Chuan non-stop yesterday. This morning when I waked out, I felt a lot of energy on my body. I felt that I'm 30 years old again. I just finished today's 1000 XingYi Pi Chuan 10 minutes ago. I also feel great right at this moment. Starting from today, I'll use 1000 punches (about 42 minutes) as my daily warm up exercise before I start my regular training.

Last edited:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
When you do your Pi, do you

- inhale when you right fist go out as Tsuan, and
- exhale when your left palm go out as Pi.

or

- inhale and exhale when you right fist go out as Tsuan, and
- inhale and exhale when your left palm go out as Pi?

If I use the

- 1st method, my breathing will be slow. I don't generate much power in Tsuan. My Tsuan is only used to set up Pi.
- 2nd method, my breathing will be a bit faster. But I can generate power in both Tsuan and Pi.

In other words, do you like to consider Pi as 2 moves (Tsuan and Pi), or just Pi?

Just wonder which way do you prefer?

I was taught natural breathing and piquan can be thought of as many as 3 moves, however I look at it as 1

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've done 1000 front kicks - 500 with each leg, if that counts.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yup, it boils down to quality over quantity.

Now there is an argument to say that a greater quantity of high quality is better than a lesser quantity of equally high quality. This is true, but conditioning and fatigue then becomes a deciding factor.
When fatigue hits there is a greater risk for injury. Been there. Done it. Got hurt and learned my lesson. Fatigue will kill quality to the point of there being no benefit to doing the drill. If I can't do one rep. correctly because of fatigue then I'll stop. I'll train if I'm tired because I just need a breather but with Fatigue stuff just stops working the way it should.

However I do have fun doing push ups to the point of fatigue. I guess I get a kick out of my not being able to push off the ground. I push but nothing happens. lol.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I wonder what types of injuries the Rockettes often get. They kick 1200 times a day.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I was also taught "natural breathing" too. I just coordinate my punching speed with my breathing and not the other way around.

I had a xingyi shifu who got annoyed with us all in the class one day. We were all drilling PIquan and all exhaling on the strikes. He told us all if you can only strike with power on exhale that he would hit us right right after we exhaled because we had no power until we inhaled so we could exhale, and if he attacked after exhale, coordinating our breath would be rather difficult to mount another strike with power. From then on it was all natural breathing tied to all striking.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I wonder what types of injuries the Rockettes often get. They kick 1200 times a day.
Just found my answer "Rockettes frequently suffer knee injuries, but neck injuries are also a concern ever since they started wearing a tight, heavy hat with reindeer antlers that light up. "We call it the vise," one dancer said." Source: The Sweat-Soaked Life of a Glamorous Rockette

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I had a xingyi shifu who got annoyed with us all in the class one day. We were all drilling PIquan and all exhaling on the strikes. He told us all if you can only strike with power on exhale that he would hit us right right after we exhaled because we had no power until we inhaled so we could exhale, and if he attacked after exhale, coordinating our breath would be rather difficult to mount another strike with power. From then on it was all natural breathing tied to all striking.
Your XingYi teacher is correct. You want to have air in you lung as long as you can. In long fist, we have a sections breathing training. We can divide our breath maximum into 7 parts. We train how to inhale full, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, ..., 1/7 and exhale full. 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, ...,1/7.

But the XingYi breathing is "short inhale, long exhale" which is different from the natural breathing.

- The short inhale make sense. When you swim, you also use "short inhale" because the time period that you can inhale is short. When you fight, you want to get air in your lung ASAP between punches.
- The long exhale also make sense. When you are under water, you want to hold your breath in your lung as long as you can. When you fight, you also want to keep air in your lung as long as you can.

Last edited:
OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just found my answer "Rockettes frequently suffer knee injuries, but neck injuries are also a concern ever since they started wearing a tight, heavy hat with reindeer antlers that light up. "We call it the vise," one dancer said." Source: The Sweat-Soaked Life of a Glamorous Rockette
Train MA and cause permanent injury makes no sense. I once did sit up and hurt my low back for 2 months. After that, I would never push myself beyond my limitation.

I only train "shin bite" on my right leg. 3 days ago, I decided to balance both my sides. After I used single head to train my right leg. I used single head to train my left leg. Last night when I took a bath, I realized that I had a bit bump on my left foot instep. I must forgot that I had the same big bump on my right foot instep when I was young.

Last edited:

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I realize I quoted you and answered this before but I was reading "Philosophy of Martial Arts" from Shen Wu and this paragraph is very applicable to this type of training

Philosophy of Martial Arts

Great article, so true. Conscious awareness of what you're doing changes everything.. and it's funny, as you really ingrain the technique within you, it becomes more natural and flows without the need for conscious attention, so then it frees up your attention to focus on the subtler aspects of the technique, and allows your attention to go deeper and you can learn a help of a lot more...

I was also taught "natural breathing" too. I just coordinate my punching speed with my breathing and not the other way around.

That's a really cool insight... I like that, and I'll remember that :D

When fatigue hits there is a greater risk for injury. Been there. Done it. Got hurt and learned my lesson. Fatigue will kill quality to the point of there being no benefit to doing the drill. If I can't do one rep. correctly because of fatigue then I'll stop. I'll train if I'm tired because I just need a breather but with Fatigue stuff just stops working the way it should.

Hehe yeah true... quality slips so much at that point of fatigue. And I guess it depends. In one respect, quality slips and it does become pointless to drill quantities in that state, as you not only teach yourself bad habits but also put yourself at much greater risk of injury.

And on the other, some methods purposely put you in that fatigue 'zone' so that you work on the ability to perform great technique when it 'counts', like if you were in a real feral, exhausting fight and needed to draw on that, it can develop your ability to stay focused and able to still do good technique in a crazy fatigued state.

Then other methods push you to that place for totally other reasons other than technique development hehe which has its place at times ;)

Orange Belt
Reaction score
How do you feel about your knee joint after that? Many TKD guys have knee problem when they get old.
To be honest my knee was fine, where I really had a strange "pain" was my hip lol.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you drill "1 step 3 punches" 1000 times, you may hurt your arm joints. But if you drill "1 step 1 punch", since your body is pushing your arm, it will put less pressure on your arm joints. In other words, to drill "1 step 1 punch" can be like to put your arms behind your back and just use your body to punch. I think there is a big difference there.
Agreed, to an extent. It’s still repetitive use of the joints, and takes some building up to. A person in their 20’s might be able to deal with that kind of strain from the start.