Which drill can give you better "health" benefit?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you train this XingYi Pi Chuan drill 1,000 times daily vs. you train this long fist kick punch drill 1,000 times daily, which will give you better "health" benefit?

Your thought?

Last edited:

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you train this XingYi Pi Chuan drill 1,000 times daily,

vs. you train this long fist kick punch drill 1,000 times daily,

which will give you better "health" benefit? Your thought?
Do you want a Chinese medicine opinion, a Western medicine opinion because they will differ, what defined better health benefits?

Piquan has a specific method in being applied your question to put in another words is "which produces better health benefits the mind or the body?"

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do you want a Chinese medicine opinion, a Western medicine opinion because they will differ, what defined better health benefits?

Piquan has a specific method in being applied your question to put in another words is "which produces better health benefits the mind or the body?"
Which training can make you "live longer" that you will have better chance to see your 100 years old birthday?

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Which training can make you "live longer" that you will have better chance to see your 100 years old birthday?
Again do you want a Chinese medicine opinion or a Western medicine opinion.
Do you understand what internally xingyiquan is doing and trying to do?
If you are only looking at the external surface of each then xingyiquan would not be accurately described as xingyiquan.

If you are looking to live a long life stop looking to live a long life.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Again do you want a Chinese medicine opinion or a Western medicine opinion.
Do you understand what internally xingyiquan is doing and trying to do?
If you are only looking at the external surface of each then xingyiquan would not be accurately described as xingyiquan.

If you are looking to live a long life stop looking to live a long life.
I'm interested to hear other people's opinion (such as yours). My personal opinion is not important here. I don't mind if you bring in the "internal" discussion here. If you prefer one over another, I would be interested to know your opinion.

Last edited:

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you apply the theory of extending life they are both the same. Movement does not matter as much as theory.三宝 From a Chinese medicine opinion is what matters in what contributes to long life.

From a Western medicine opinion, both result in same both are cardiovascular, stretching, etc etc.

My only opinion in piquan in relation to health from a Chinese medicine opinion and Western medicine opinion is the 经络 for the lungs follows exactly with piquan rise and fall. So you are following the arm channels.
From a Western medicine opinion the raise and lowering of the arms, chest, back expands the lungs and muscles. So I would recommend piquan for someone with strengthen the lungs followed by san ti shi and stance training qigong if I was focusing on piquan lung type of health benefits.

If I was strictly aim to live to 100 and more then I might recommend other daojiao practices.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm not sure either of these drills done "1,000 times daily" would be the best thing if your sole concern is to be healthy and live to a very old age. At first glance, the second clip looks to me like better all-round exercise. But honestly, taking time for a nice brisk walk in fresh air every day would probably be better for you. :)

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm not sure either of these drills done "1,000 times daily" would be the best thing if your sole concern is to be healthy and live to a very old age. At first glance, the second clip looks to me like better all-round exercise. But honestly, taking time for a nice brisk walk in fresh air every day would probably be better for you. :)
Again, I'm not sure which one is better:

- 3 miles running,
- 3 miles fast walking,
- 3 miles slow walking,
- 1,000 hip throws,
- 1,000 Pi Chuan drills,
- 1,000 kick-punch drills.

One kick-punch drill that I like is:

- right back fist
- left side kick
- double hands pull
- right front kick
- right palm strike
- right/left wrist lock
- right side kick
- left back kick
- right front kick
- right hammer fist
- right/left arm block
- right straight punch.

I just don't have enough energy to drill it 1,000 times.

Last edited:

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The person who taught me

- XingYi passed away when he was 78.
- Long fist is 91 years old and still going strong today.

For "long life", this fact means a lot to me.
Well a lot of things influence a person's health and long life from diet to genetics or from a Chinese medicine opinion the xingyiquan guy just had to much sex:D
So if some guy was 100 and smoked would you smoke too?

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Again, I'm not sure which one is better:

- 3 miles running,
- 3 miles fast walking,
- 3 miles slow walking,
- 1,000 hip throws,
- 1,000 Pi Chuan drills,
- 1,000 kick-punch drills.

One kick-punch drill that I like is:

- right back fist
- left side kick
- double hands pull
- right front kick
- right palm strike
- right/left wrist lock
- right side kick
- left back kick
- right front kick
- right hammer fist
- right/left arm block
- right straight punch.

I just don't have enough energy to drill it 1,000 times.
What you don't realize is none are better or worse if applying 三宝。 if you do not understand this principle than it doesn't matter.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you train this XingYi Pi Chuan drill 1,000 times daily vs. you train this long fist kick punch drill 1,000 times daily, which will give you better "health" benefit?

Your thought?

Nether are healthy, at a thousand times a day every day, you are more or less guaranteed to sustain a repetitive strain injury

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Do people understand 三宝 always live longer? How will you prove that?
If you understood it you wouldn't ask me.
Do not care if other people believe it, not interested in proving it either. You asked a question I gave you from a Chinese medicine opinion and a Western medicine opinion.

If you are looking for a long life stop looking for a long life. If you don't understand this concept than you dont get it. If you don't understand san bao I'm not going to explain it. The saying goes finger points to moon not hold your hand and point it to the moon

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'll tell him that if he doesn't smoke, he may be able to live till 200. There is a good reason that old people all quite smoking and drinking.
Or he may eat bad rice and die and say man if he only didn't eat rice he would live to at least see tomorrow.

Mou Meng Gung Fu

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Your thought?

I can't give a professional opinion on this, as I don't practice either of those forms. But from a layman's perspective, the long fist kick punch drill looks like it requires more flexibility and stamina. Therefore, in my opinion the long fist kick punch form is probably more beneficial for your health and longevity, assuming you have no medical issues. I could be wrong.

Last edited:

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I can't give a professional opinion on this, as I don't practice either of those forms. But from a layman's perspective, the long fist kick punch drill looks like it requires more flexibility and stamina. Therefore, in my opinion the long fist kick punch form is probably more beneficial for your health and longevity, assuming you have no medical issues. I could be wrong.
The reason you think this is because you are seeing the external and not understanding the internal that is being done in xingyiquan. The reason the movement is slower is because the 意 is moving the 气 which moves the body. In other words in Xingyiquan mind and body go as one. Most people can do Ma bu horse stance for 20 minutes but hardly anyone can do San ti shi stance for 10 minutes. It is easier to do a squat using external muscles, it is much harder to squat using relax internal muscles.

My comment is if you understand the foundation of the three treasures than both forms will produce health benefits in line with that theory. It does not matter the movement so much as long as it follows theory.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The reason you think this is because you are seeing the external and not understanding the internal that is being done in xingyiquan. The reason the movement is slower is because the 意 is moving the 气 which moves the body. In other words in Xingyiquan mind and body go as one. Most people can do Ma bu horse stance for 20 minutes but hardly anyone can do San ti shi stance for 10 minutes. It is easier to do a squat using external muscles, it is much harder to squat using relax internal muscles.

My comment is if you understand the foundation of the three treasures than both forms will produce health benefits in line with that theory. It does not matter the movement so much as long as it follows theory.
I find this interesting but with the Chinese symbols and strange use of words, somewhat difficult to understand.

can you explain what is an external muscle and what's an internal muscle, I though all muscles were internal, as in, inside the body, or do you mean external muscles are in the arms and legs and internal are the core muscles. A horse stance is always going to require both to support its self.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions