Which workout will give you better health benefit?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
How are you healing up?
Very nicely, thank you for asking. I don’t know how long it takes for everything underneath to fully knit back together so I’m taking it a bit easy, especially when it comes to things like kicking the heavy bag, especially roundhouse kicks with the instep/shin. Just not doing that at all yet. But I’m training again, feeling good.

Attachments

• 75CB4E4A-C93C-47FC-917C-91922EA4EF7C.jpeg
    75CB4E4A-C93C-47FC-917C-91922EA4EF7C.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 43

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very nicely, thank you for asking. I don’t know how long it takes for everything underneath to fully knit back together so I’m taking it a bit easy, especially when it comes to things like kicking the heavy bag, especially roundhouse kicks with the instep/shin. Just not doing that at all yet. But I’m training again, feeling good.
About 6 weeks for full healing. You're doing the right thing by being gentle with it. Right now it can tear open again, and secondary closures are always problematic.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dirty dog has it right. 6 weeks. I always go with a little extra time, as Dirty dog also expressed, the second go around almost always comes with issues. Looks good, sword and shark bite scars are up there on the cool scale. I assisted on a white shark bite to surfer torso about 10 years ago, his surfboard is hanging up in the local brew pub minus the missing chunk. Anyone with a shark bite scar drinks free there. Lost Coast Brewery. Maybe if you bring the sword…

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Dirty dog has it right. 6 weeks. I always go with a little extra time, as Dirty dog also expressed, the second go around almost always comes with issues. Looks good, sword and shark bite scars are up there on the cool scale. I assisted on a white shark bite to surfer torso about 10 years ago, his surfboard is hanging up in the local brew pub minus the missing chunk. Anyone with a shark bite scar drinks free there. Lost Coast Brewery. Maybe if you bring the sword…
Yeah, I’m thinking of giving it a full two months before I begin hitting the bag on that area, and even then start easy for a fair while. Even now, kicks with the heel or ball of the foot, i can feel that it isn’t yet fully together. I just feel that shock go through it, so I’m keeping them light and low counts. Footwork and stance work feels pretty good, but I’m keeping the intensity lower than it had been. Trying to pay very specific attention to how it is feeling.

I joke that I didn’t stab myself on purpose simply to have the experience. But at the same time I now have some bragging rights. An A-grade sword wound delivered by a genuine sword. I just gotta come up with an alternate story that doesn’t involve giving it to myself…

If I head up in that direction, I’ll bring the sword and look for the brewery. 😁

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I’m thinking of giving it a full two months before I begin hitting the bag on that area, and even then start easy for a fair while. Even now, kicks with the heel or ball of the foot, i can feel that it isn’t yet fully together. I just feel that shock go through it, so I’m keeping them light and low counts. Footwork and stance work feels pretty good, but I’m keeping the intensity lower than it had been. Trying to pay very specific attention to how it is feeling.

I joke that I didn’t stab myself on purpose simply to have the experience. But at the same time I now have some bragging rights. An A-grade sword wound delivered by a genuine sword. I just gotta come up with an alternate story that doesn’t involve giving it to myself…

If I head up in that direction, I’ll bring the sword and look for the brewery. 😁
The story needs to involve one or more of the following options: Ninjas, Terrorists, Dinosaurs.

One of my grandkids whacked his head on a piece of furniture. Minor wound and a shiner. Made him late for school. I sent a note to his teacher saying he'd been injured saving us all from a home invasion by alien ninjas. I included my phone number. Teacher called. She thought it was hilarious. Excused his tardiness.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
With the footwork we (in NGA) typically train, it’s more of an issue. We use a lot of sliding steps for trait purposes, and they become problematic if you’ve never trained on uneven surfaces or with grippy shoes to learn how they adapt.
In SC, for some training, we also need a flat surface that we can slide backward.

Lin-hip-throw-solo.gif

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The story needs to involve one or more of the following options: Ninjas, Terrorists, Dinosaurs.

One of my grandkids whacked his head on a piece of furniture. Minor wound and a shiner. Made him late for school. I sent a note to his teacher saying he'd been injured saving us all from a home invasion by alien ninjas. I included my phone number. Teacher called. She thought it was hilarious. Excused his tardiness.
Shel Silverstein.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
However this may explain why a gentleman who sent me a video of his teacher, from Taiwan, doing 5 elements, appeared to me to have no power. It was much softer than what I've learned.
Some Xing Yi people believe that they can reach to An Jing, or even Hua Jing without going through the Ming Jing training. It's like most Taiji people who believe in soft and don't believe hard is necessary.

IMO, the Baji training is the same as the Xing Yi Ming Jing training. You have to sweat first before you can relax.

Last edited:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Some Xing Yi people believe that they can reach to An Jing, or even Hua Jing without going through the Ming Jing training. It's like most Taiji people who believe in soft and don't believe hard is necessary.

IMO, the Baji training is the same as the Xing Yi Ming Jing training. You have to sweat first before you can relax.

Which is why I only did the Xingyiquan 5 elements forms, including staff. I think many people move on way too fast in virtually every style. Xingyiquan is not immune to this need for speed. As for taijiquan, sadly I must agree. My taijiquan shifu once told me that if trained properly internal styles and external styles end up in the same place. They just come from different directions

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

Excellent! If each member adds a word or phrase in turn we can come up with a whopper.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Which is why I only did the Xingyiquan 5 elements forms, including staff. I think many people move on way too fast in virtually every style. Xingyiquan is not immune to this need for speed. As for taijiquan, sadly I must agree. My taijiquan shifu once told me that if trained properly internal styles and external styles end up in the same place. They just come from different directions
Mine said they were two halves of the whole.

Latest Discussions