The problem here is you not blocking lol.
Some times this is the only option. It would be my first choice if I had the cash to spend that much on a mouth piece but would be acceptable in the event that there was no other alternative.
I did block. With my head
And, thereās not much alternative. My dentist rattled off several good over the counter names. But if the shock doctor oneās not long enough, itās going to be hard to find one that is. I figured if it takes me buying 3 or 4 different ones to get the right fit (at $30 a piece), $100 is probably cheaper. And Iām done with it.
The manufacturer offers cheaper and more expensive ones, but I the one I got struck the right balance. It was upper-middle end. His nephew is an amateur MMA fighter, and he got one a step or two above what I got.
I look at the justification of the cost 2 ways - 1. A Shock Doctor or the like costs about $35, and a replacement one from my dentist will probably run about $50* and 2. $100 is a lot cheaper than potentially needing dental work.
*I think the biggest cost of the thing is the dentist taking time out to have me bite the tray, and the manufacturer making the mold from it. They sent me the mold of my teeth. I think when itās replacement time I send the mold to them and they make a new mouthpiece. And so long as I donāt lose the mouthpiece, Iām pretty sure itāll last several years. It seems very durable.
Edit: Just to add...
I wasnāt thrilled about spending $100 on a mouthpiece. I mean, come on... itās a mouthpiece. Once I tried it on, the price didnāt bother me at all. It just feels right. Kind of hard to explain. It was one of those times that I thought āwhy didnāt I do this sooner?ā Iād absolutely hate to wear a regular one again if I had to; itās that comfortable. But yeah, $100 aināt cheap.