Dynamic punch

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A couple of steps back, just before the end in that form?
Yes at 1:03. That's the one for the big punches. We also have one for our linear punches as well.
Charge punch at 0:56
Linear strikes while moving backwards at 1:10

A lot of the techniques in the system factor in being on the receiving end of a forward aggressive attack. My personal observations is that the natural responses to a forward pressing attack is to
1. Travel backwards in a straight line,
2. To turn and run or to turn your back on the opponent and cover
3. To kneel and cover

The techniques seem to use these 3 things as feints. You've actually seen me use one against my brother where I turn my back to him, which encourages him to do a front kick, which I then exploit using a low sweep.

A charging opponent will look for you to do 1 of the 3 and to exploit you. So you give him what he's looking for and then exploit him before he can exploit you. The down side about charging for too long is that you are 100% focused on the charge and attacking. There is no thought of defense, and it looks like the techniques try to exploit that. I'm pretty sure that other systems do something similar, but they may be so caught up in Forms Performance that they really don't think about it.

Patience

White Belt
Reaction score
One thing that I don't understand is why this kind of footwork and punching combo doesn't exist in any MA form? I would love to create a form that contain this footwork and punching combo.

dyr93Qs.gif

Ten No Kata has a similar sequence in both directions, oi tsuke going "up" the pattern and then gyaku tsuke coming back down the pattern. There are several color belt kata that have 3 sequential step/punch combos, or step/shuto or step/block in them. There's no rule that you ("you" meaning "a person") must step/punch, pause, step/punch, pause, step/punch every time. Why not also practice them without pausing in between, with the focus being fluidity and maintaining effectiveness as you increase speed. Or create your own kata or movement practice. :) It won't be on your next test, but thinking about bunkai that stem from kata, or how you would incorporate this type of movement into a kata, can't help but improve your practice.

Last edited:
OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Why not also practice them without pausing in between, ...
The question is "Should your training be exactly the same as your fighting?"

IMO, during training, you try to coordinate your hand with your foot. Without it, you may lose your "body unification". This is why you should coordinate punch with your foot landing. This way, you can generate maximum power.

Of course in fighting, you may want to achieve more speed and give up some of your power, the body unification rule can be violated.

Latest Discussions