Dynamic punch

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In another thread, we use the term "dynamic punch". It seems to me that this term may be foreign to some people.

You can have

- 1 step 1 punch.
- 1 step 2 punches.
- 1 step 3 punches.

You can also have many steps 1 punch. Your opponent is moving back. You move in to cover the distance. When you do that, you are using dynamic punch.

Here is an example of the "dynamic punch". I like this kind of mobility training.

Your thought?

dynamic-punch-1.gif

jukado1

Orange Belt
Reaction score
An attempt to do what Bruce Lee called "The Straight Blast", A much better example was the Vitor Belfort vs Wanderly Silva MMA match, This gentleman needs to work on 1, Hand speed, 2. Footwork, He is trying to get better but he needs more training.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
An attempt to do what Bruce Lee called "The Straight Blast", A much better example was the Vitor Belfort vs Wanderly Silva MMA match, This gentleman needs to work on 1, Hand speed, 2. Footwork, He is trying to get better but he needs more training.

the hand soeed needs to match his foot speed, other wise the punch will arive before he gets to the the target, and that would be silly

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One thing that I don't understand is why this kind of footwork and punching combo doesn't exist in any MA form? I would love to create a form that contain this footwork and punching combo.

dyr93Qs.gif

EdwardA

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My sifu used to tell me to switch arm swing...when walking around, wherever. 1. Where the arm is opposite the leg, and 2. Where the arm is same as the leg. Just switch back and forth. ...or while doing laps.

Haha, I never cared that it looked a little odd.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you have that clip, I would like to see it too. I always like those kind of fast forward attack. If I can collect 20 of this kind of drills, I'll be very happy.

Here is one that I like.

Adam-dynamic-punch-1.gif
Unfortunately it was not in the forms I had posted in the past. I was also asked by my group to not post videos on the internet, so I can’t show them to you. But it exists in three of the forms that I know, and probably in some of the forms I have not learned, although I don’t remember specifically, as I have not seen those forms in a while.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Any chance it's in one of the forms videos you've posted before?
Sorry, it was not in those clips, and I had to take them down. I was asked by my group to not post videos on the internet. I’m not even certain that they had seen that I had posted those. But I was making videos for my own reference and was asked to not put them on the internet.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was also asked by my group to not post videos on the internet, so I can’t show them to you.
Could you explain the reason behind this?

If people make video available on the internet, since that video is already in the public domain, I see nothing wrong to reference those video here.

Of course if a video is not on the internet, it just doesn't exist.

In another thread, I suggest people to record their video when they are still young. The day when we are older, we just can't do as good as when we were young. The day when we are all gone, those video will be the only thing that we have left on earth. It may be the only thing that people can still remember us.

I like to post those video that the person has already passed away. This way, someone can still be benefited from that person even if that person is already gone. I'm pretty sure that person will be happy for me to do that for him when he lies down in his grave.

As long as a person's video is still on the internet, that person is still alive among us.

When a

- geese flying over, it's sound will remain in the sky.
- tiger dies, it's skin will be hung on the wall.
- MA person dies, his video will still exist on the internet.

Bruce-Lee-kicks.gif

Last edited:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Could you explain the reason behind this?

If people make video available on the internet, since that video is already in the public domain, I see nothing wrong to reference those video here.

Of course if a video is not on the internet, it just doesn't exist.

In another thread, I suggest people to record their video when they are still young. The day when we are older, we just can't do as good as when we were young. The day when we are all gone, those video will be the only thing that we have left on earth. It may be the only thing that people can still remember us.

I like to post those video that the person has already passed away. This way, someone can still be benefited from that person even if that person is already gone. I'm pretty sure that person will be happy for me to do that for him when he lies down in his grave.

As long as a person's video is still on the internet, that person is still alive among us.

When a

- geese flying over, it's sound will remain in the sky.
- tiger dies, it's skin will be hung on the wall.
- MA person dies, his video will still exist on the internet.

Bruce-Lee-kicks.gif
Sifu doesn’t like to share material with people who are not a part of our group. I need to respect his desires and not post things where they are available for just anyone to view. If we were to meet privately and have a private discussion I think it would not be a problem to share some stuff to compare and contrast, but leaving it available for the general public is something he doesn’t want us to do.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sifu doesn’t like to share material with people who are not a part of our group. I need to respect his desires and not post things where they are available for just anyone to view. If we were to meet privately and have a private discussion I think it would not be a problem to share some stuff to compare and contrast, but leaving it available for the general public is something he doesn’t want us to do.
Sorry! Since I'm the oldest in my system, nobody can tell me what I can do or can not do, sometime I just forget that others may still have to respond to their teachers.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For the same discussion in another forum, someone asked:

A: When will you use this skill.
B: To chase your opponent when he is moving back.
A: If your opponent is moving back, he doesn't want to fight you, why do you still attack him?
B: ...

What should be B's answer to A?

Last edited:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
For the same discussion in another forum, someone asked:

A: When will you use this skill.
B: To chase your opponent when he is moving back.
A: If your opponent is moving back, he doesn't want to fight you, why do you still attack him?
B: ...

What should be B's answer to A?
I think your MMA video clip was a good example. It was clearly an active engagement. The guy charging had his opponent reeling backwards, and he just kept driving forward to overwhelm the fellow. That is what it is for.

So to answer A.: you use it as an explosive drive to overwhelm the enemy.

B: I wouldn’t chase with it if the enemy is actively running back and not reeling like the MMA video shows. If you chase and never catch him, he might figure out your pattern and counter you. You need to charge when you can really rock him. I figure that three or four steps is about the limit because if you haven’t caught him by then, it’s time to do something else before he figures you out.

If he is moving back, that does not automatically mean he does not want to fight you. He could be looking for an advantageous way to engage. You need to read the situation. Sure, if he is retreating and does not want to engage, then I would not chase him.

jukado1

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The question was asked, Why chase a retreating opponent, One reason I would continue to attack is in a Real fight they Attacked me, I'm 76 years old and in lousy shape, Unless you consider round a shape, This is someone willing to damage another human being. When I started training in 1959/60 my instructor told me there were 2 rules in fighting, 1 Win. And 2 try to be as humane as possible. If someone is willing to harm a fat old decent person they have given up their rights as a human. And anything that happens to you is your fault, At this time and place Rule 1 is win, Rule 2 is make sure they will Never be able to hurt anyone else.

EdwardA

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Notice the two blocks during and after the 2nd kick. Right hand up, then down. Maybe one with the 3rd one also, but the vid is cut.

I always thought practicing that way is important. I guess most people do?

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Latest Discussions