Doubts about your own art?

SacredCoconut

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Have people here had doubts if the art they train is there right one for them?

I train karate in nice place and its fun, but still i'm person that normaly doubts his decisions. I did not even try other ones as it had lot of thing i liked from taekwondo (did when i was younger) and i'm interested in japanese culture.

There is already lot of posts about doing different arts, but still id like to know if i decide to try other arts how/when should i do it and did others feel this way in beginning. (Yeah i know its close to my own post as well)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Best time to do it? Before you start serious training, I would think.

Go to as many different schools as possible. Try them all. See which one fits you best. Because it's not the style so much as the instructor, and if the class doesn't feel like a good fit, it probably isn't the right one for you.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Nope, never. I could not possibly be happier with my choice. Isshin-Ryu suits me right down the ground, and I also am incredibly grateful to be training where I do; my instructors are without a doubt, the best I've ever seen at it. I'm a very lucky man and I know it. I wish everyone could have the kind of access to instruction that I have. The only thing that could be better is me; I'm not the best possible student, but I keep trying.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Deciding on an art and school is not unlike finding the right pair of shoes. Are the shoes you want available in your area? Do you like the way they feel? Do you like the way they look? Are you buying them to run in, play tennis, or go into combat?

Yes it's best to sort this out early on otherwise you are just pouring effort into something that ultimately will get changed. Just so you know any of them can be great or utter crap depending on the teacher and depending on you. Doubting your art is in many ways doubting yourself.

OP
S

SacredCoconut

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Doubting your art is in many ways doubting yourself.
I'm alweys doubting my self :S. One reason i made this thread is because i'm not sure if im just doubting too much.

Meaby instead of just thinking about it, i should just go try/see some other classes?

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had these sorts of doubts when I first started and maybe for the first year. 20 years later I believe in my art, my school, my teacher, and myself. My training has saved my life, it works.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Had doubts for a few months when I was 14/15 and a few of my close friends left the school for various reasons, that was about it. Despite the negative feelings many people who haven't practiced it have towards it, I have no doubts about my art at all.

GrandmasterP

Green Belt
Reaction score
Do as much as you can whilst you can, old age and decrepitude tends to put a spoke in the wheel.
I miss training Pakua but the QiGong keeps me mobile-ish.

J W

Green Belt
Reaction score
Can you elaborate on the doubts you are having? Do you doubt the quality of instruction you are receiving? Do you doubt that your particular style would be effective in a fight? Or maybe you just doubt that it is the best fit for you? How long have you been training at your current school, anyway?

I think how you deal with this doubt depends on what exactly it stems from. You may be able to discuss these doubts with your instructor. Maybe taking some intro classes at other schools will help.

Is there another school or style that you are interested in trying, which is causing this doubt in your current school/style? If you find yourself often wondering whether another path would be better for you, then you may just have to go and try it. Nagging doubts might not leave you alone until you have some idea what the other road has to offer.

Personally, I did find myself having doubts about the art I was training in a couple years ago. I began to think that the training methodology wasn't really what I was looking for. I decided to try something else, and it turned out to be a much better fit for me.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've trained in a few different systems, for years in each, and ultimately walked away from them when I realized they were not the best fit for me. It happens, you should listen to your inner voice if you are not sure about something. Part of the process is finding what is the best fit for you and that can take some time to figure out. You can spend lots of time in something, thinking it's the best thing since sliced bread, and then suddenly realize you just don't want to do it anymore, it doesn't fit anymore.

OP
S

SacredCoconut

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Im only white belt, don't realy have problem with instructions and i don't think i even need to use it in fight. Its just that i'm not sure if the art is the right one for me. I trained taekwondo for about year when i was younger thats only other school i have been to.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think doubting decisions is just normal for some people, and it has its advantages. Ive always been like that, and as happy as I am with my instructor and club, there will still be times where I will question things. If I trained in something that had no striking I would question whether striking is necessary, and if I trained in something that had no ground game I would question if thats the right way to go. Questioning things just means you are keeping an open mind. If you are questioning quality of instruction or these sorts of things, well thats a different story.

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
Im only white belt, don't realy have problem with instructions and i don't think i even need to use it in fight. Its just that i'm not sure if the art is the right one for me. I trained taekwondo for about year when i was younger thats only other school i have been to.

The real question I would have is what is your doubt? Is it centered on your mindset? Level of comfort? Interaction with other students? Instructors? Try to center in on your doubts and then see if it is something that be addressed with your instructor. If it cannot be addressed personally or with your instructor than maybe it isn't the right style for you. Their is absolutely no shame in moving to another system that find more suitable.

Martial arts is really all about the journey and no people ever follow exactly the same path.

Enjoy the journey.

PoolMan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
There must be other schools/styles in your area. Try them all out. See if you can sit in on a few classes. Maybe they will let you try a class or two for free. Talk to the instructor about what you want/need. You will find something that works for you. When you do, work your @$$ off. The doubt will go away.

On a seperate note, whenever I doubt something or am afraid of something, I take it head on. I go after it and master it until there is no more doubt and/or fear. A philosophy that has worked wonders for me

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When I found out the

- TKD roundhouse kick has more detail than the longfist roundhouse kick, I replaced my longfist roundhouse by the TKD roundhouse kick.
- MT roundhouse kick has more reach than the TKD roundhouse kick, I replaced my TKD roundhouse by the MT roundhouse kick.

If I can find better replacement for my MT roundhouse kick, I'll replace it too. I always look for better way to do the same thing. To me, the word "style" has no meaning at all. We only live once and we deserve the best.

Last edited:

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
The first art I became a sifu in I knew had some holes in it. I looked for something that didn't have those holes.

It isn't so easy for a beginner to know if a system or school is for them or not. Much of that decision takes experience. Then once the experience is gained, many do not want to lose thier position or rank in order to train at a place more fitting for themselves. All I can suggest is if you have doubts, address them with your instructor. If they are not answered to your satisfaction, find an instructor that can answer them.

MikeBielat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Maybe since this is a public forum, you could maybe list out some things that are important to you and we can help direct you to a style that might best fit what you are looking for.

Unfortunately, the art, teacher, dojo and atmosphere all should be taken into consideration to make your learning as enjoyable as possible so keep that in mind as well.

OP
S

SacredCoconut

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Most doubts come from the stances which feel meaby little unnatural and id say my instinct tells me to evade/misdirrect and kick instead of block and punch (i know there are kicks and this may have somthing to do with the TKD i trained). With this i alredy feel like im saying TKD would be better so meaby i should give it a try again.

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
I dont know if i would call it doubt, but more like confused feelings. I know that the combatives im doing now, are fully appicable to real world self defense and i love learning the differnt sequences and combinations as well as the ground fighting. Problem is, while i enjoy it i also want to learn TKD, and dont know of a way to practice both. I can only afford one MA class.

Latest Discussions