Don't tell them you know martial arts

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So if some guy tackles me in a parking lot, and starts trying to turn my face into hamburger, but instead I'm able to choke him out with a triangle or whatever from my back with him on top of me, I'm in the clear right?
No one has suggested otherwise.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well ... I've seen plenty of people who claim to be teaching self-defense demonstrating stomps to the head of an incapacitated opponent. Some Kempo instructors are particularly guilty of this.
Can I just clarify. Many of the styles teach a sequence of moves that you might perform in a particular scenario. The simplest of these might be 360 defence of Krav and the other end, the bunkai of a kata like Suparenpei.

So, the first move in Krav to defend against a downward slash with a weapon is 'bursting' or a simultaneous strike to the wrist and neck. If you connect it's game over. If it fails, you overhook the arm and drive the knee repeatedly into the lower abdomen. If that connects it's likely game over but if it fails and we need more we start hitting the back of the neck, assuming he has bent over from the knees. Strikes to the back of the neck or skull with the forearm are likely to knock him down but if they haven't I'll give him a knee in the face. He is a real tough sucker if he hasn't gone down by now but I'm up to the arm lock and disarm at this point. If that fails I'll take him to the ground and kick to the back of the neck.

Against an untrained attacker just how long will he remain a threat? The chances of getting all the way through to the stomp are practically zero.

Similar with karate bunkai. You do the first technique and hopefully it is game over. If not you go to the second and so forth. It is only after a failed technique that you proceed.

Aikido is the same. Something as simple as kote gaeshi is only performed in theory if the punch to the head, inherent in the technique has failed.

What I am saying, in a very roundabout way, is that the 'finishing' technique of a stomp is the last technique in a a sequence of techniques. Hopefully the conflict has resolved well before that, even though the sequence is practised to its conclusion.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So if some guy tackles me in a parking lot, and starts trying to turn my face into hamburger, but instead I'm able to choke him out with a triangle or whatever from my back with him on top of me, I'm in the clear right?
The ultimate decision would be up to the states attorney's office but in my opinion you would be ok provided you released the choke when he no longer was a threat. Basically you can't claim your defending yourself when your no longer in danger.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Considering the situation discussed earlier about being slapped, if some guy tried to slap me I would do what the Bible says and turn the other cheek. If he tried something else such as if he tried to punch me or if he charged at me I would take proper action to neutralize him. To just stand there and let him do it flies in the face of common sense.

Yeah great answer. The bible is a great book to slam into someones cheek. Very sturdy books them!

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score

I would have to say good for her. Anyway had this happened in the USA she should not be charged or get in trouble but unfortunately that might be the case in some places. She had choked him out and as its been said on this thread choking somebody can be seen as deadly force. Sexual assault is not something, however, that should not be taken lightly and men can be victims too. In cases of sexual assault a would be victim should use any means to stop the attacker up to and including deadly force, as sexual assault is a serious matter, and they shouldn't get in trouble for it.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wanted to expand on my first answer but it's too late to edit. Taking this back to the original question I think this scenario is a time you definitely want to tell the police and Lawyers all about your training and skills. If I were to choke someone out through my lawyer talking for me I'd explain all my training in the use of chokes, I'd explain the difference between blood chokes and air chokes, I'd explain how I've used chokes 100s of times in training or tournaments, I'd tell them I've been choked out a few times and know the effects, I'd be as detailed as I could about my training including ranks and any tournaments I've done. I'd explain how badly I could have hurt the person and why I didn't. So yeah in this case I'd definitely tell everyone about my training.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wanted to expand on my first answer but it's too late to edit. Taking this back to the original question I think this scenario is a time you definitely want to tell the police and Lawyers all about your training and skills. If I were to choke someone out through my lawyer talking for me I'd explain all my training in the use of chokes, I'd explain the difference between blood chokes and air chokes, I'd explain how I've used chokes 100s of times in training or tournaments, I'd tell them I've been choked out a few times and know the effects, I'd be as detailed as I could about my training including ranks and any tournaments I've done. I'd explain how badly I could have hurt the person and why I didn't. So yeah in this case I'd definitely tell everyone about my training.

That might not be the smartest thing to do. "Anything you say can be used against you." You might want to exercise your right to remain silent.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That might not be the smartest thing to do. "Anything you say can be used against you." You might want to exercise your right to remain silent.
So when you are justified in your actions and you can explain your actions you would conceal your side of the case and allow the prosecution to have a field day. Remind me never to consult with you for legal advice.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
So when you are justified in your actions and you can explain your actions you would conceal your side of the case and allow the prosecution to have a field day. Remind me never to consult with you for legal advice.

Any explanation of my actions and mention any fighting background I've got would be done through my lawyer.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
PhotonGuy, He did say it would be done through his lawyer. You should really take time to read things thoroughly before responding.
And my reply was supporting what ballen posted.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
PhotonGuy, He did say it would be done through his lawyer. You should really take time to read things thoroughly before responding.
Alright, my bad. Anyway, if my lawyer wanted to share information about my martial arts background with the court I would trust in his experience and judgement.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Alright, my bad. Anyway, if my lawyer wanted to share information about my martial arts background with the court I would trust in his experience and judgement.
If you don't trust your lawyer, you're paying the wrong lawyer.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jeez, photonguy... how often do you need a lawyer???

Well as it is I do know a really good lawyer who is licensed to practice in my area and when I get around to it I will see him about filing a lawsuit against this guy who conned me. Aside from that I am looking for a good lawyer in Missouri to press charges against these police officers who planted false evidence on me.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Jeez, photonguy... how often do you need a lawyer???

You can get carry insurance. I am not sure if that would also be SD insurance.

But it can cost you if you mess it up. And the process is not fair from a laymans viewpoint.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well its interesting how young people are being charged as adults for physical confrontations. Some people such as pgsmith have pointed out that young people are naive and that they think they know more than they do. If that's so than they should be able to use that as a defense in court, "Im young, I didn't know better. After all being young and all I think I know more than I do so I didn't know this was wrong," yet more and more people who are under the ages of 18 or 21 are being charged as adults, such as in this case.

In The Spotlite Six Teen Girls Gang Beat 16-year-old for YouTube Video

Latest Discussions