Don't teach Judo if you don't know Judo

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I can teach Judo. I saw someone do it once. Looks pretty easy.

I have no doubt. :)

And coming from a karate background, I bet you can hit the floor harder with you head than he could, with that kneeling, over the shoulder throw. As I learned throws, we seldom went to our knees, but if we did, we usually had our opponent on his way over as we were doing it, increasing his speed to the floor, not trying to drag him with us.

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
He probably thinks Kuzushi has something to do with rice and fish.....

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
we seldom went to our knees, ...
Agree! The "shoulder throw" does not require you to drop your knee. Even if you want to get low, you can just drop one knee and that will be enough. IMO, the moment that you have dropped both knees, you lose your mobility right there.

IMO, it's difficult to move his right arm out from the under hook position to the shoulder throw arm control position. What if his opponent uses his over hook to lock that right arm?

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree! The "shoulder throw" does not require you to drop your knee. Even if you want to get low, you can just drop one knee and that will be enough. IMO, the moment that you have dropped both knees, you lose your mobility right there.

IMO, it's difficult to move his right arm out from the under hook position to the shoulder throw arm control position. What if his opponent uses his over hook to lock that right arm?
The drop seoi nage is not the same mechanic as a shoulder throw. Seoi nage is a sacrifice throw, where you use your full weight to drop them down (connect to uke, sacrifice all weight, direct uke). We have a throw that uses similar principles, but we only go to one knee (using a pivot to add a circular element that makes up for the lesser sacrifice).

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That was very amateur. He has no tsukiri, no kuzushi, and he leaves himself open for basic counters multiple times. You should break the balance of your opponent in osoto gake/gari, not break your own balance.

There is too much space during his seoi nage as well. His technique is relying on strength and speed instead of positioning and timing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was very amateur. He has no tsukiri, no kuzushi, and he leaves himself open for basic counters multiple times. You should break the balance of your opponent in osoto gake/gari, not break your own balance.

There is too much space during his seoi nage as well. His technique is relying on strength and speed instead of positioning and timing.

I would have thought almost any level of competition would have cured these kinds of errors.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Too much talking there. Yellow alert just for that. Speaking is for the ones who does not know how to do. Or the beginning of some techniques (so the receiver and public get hypnotised)... :)

I like to see, first. Then slower. Then the main points and principles. Good training and personal advice will fix the rest.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What's remarkable is that he does actually have 21 fights as a professional and 9 wins. It's not a high level of professional success, but usually you need some legitimate skill to get that far. Maybe he's really athletic or really tough or can hit hard. He certainly doesn't have the takedown expertise I'd expect from an experienced pro fighter.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

It's a wrestling throw I've used countless times. Set up right and executed right, it's very difficult to counter.

Like everything, it's easy to say "just do X." Like everything thing, if you know it's coming, it's easy to counter.

And if done right, you don't land on both knees nor a single knee; you actually land on your side while rolling through a bit.

I could go on, but instead I'll let someone else show the throw...

Watch it up until at least 3:00 or so to fully appreciate it. An actual wrestling coach showing an actual wrestling throw. Who would've thunk it?

Edit: A few times he kind of pauses and somewhat lands on his knees. It's because he's talking and demonstrating. You'll see a few times where he throws it very smoothly without pause.

Last edited:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's remarkable is that he does actually have 21 fights as a professional and 9 wins. It's not a high level of professional success, but usually you need some legitimate skill to get that far. Maybe he's really athletic or really tough or can hit hard. He certainly doesn't have the takedown expertise I'd expect from an experienced pro fighter.
Can you say tomato can...

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too much talking there. Yellow alert just for that. Speaking is for the ones who does not know how to do. Or the beginning of some techniques (so the receiver and public get hypnotised)... :)

I like to see, first. Then slower. Then the main points and principles. Good training and personal advice will fix the rest.
I agree with everything except the comment about talking. When I watch a video that's instructional, I want explanations. I want them to point out key aspects, where weight shifts are, etc. That helps ensure I don't miss something because they do it differently than I do.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a wrestling throw I've used countless times. Set up right and executed right, it's very difficult to counter.

Like everything, it's easy to say "just do X." Like everything thing, if you know it's coming, it's easy to counter.

And if done right, you don't land on both knees nor a single knee; you actually land on your side while rolling through a bit.

I could go on, but instead I'll let someone else show the throw...

Watch it up until at least 3:00 or so to fully appreciate it. An actual wrestling coach showing an actual wrestling throw. Who would've thunk it?

Edit: A few times he kind of pauses and somewhat lands on his knees. It's because he's talking and demonstrating. You'll see a few times where he throws it very smoothly without pause.
He called it an arm spin, but it looks like a poorly executed drop seoi nage. None of the actual activation of an arm spin in it, so far as I could see.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I would have thought almost any level of competition would have cured these kinds of errors.

Not if his opponents are all of similar skill.

I'm not trying to come off as an arrogant, arm chair sensei. Anyone can point out flaws in a technique on video. No one is perfect. It's just that he is missing key aspects of the techniques he is teaching.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not if his opponents are all of similar skill.

I'm not trying to come off as an arrogant, arm chair sensei. Anyone can point out flaws in a technique on video. No one is perfect. It's just that he is missing key aspects of the techniques he is teaching.

I would have thought anyone resisting would have shown him the essential error in that leg sweep. The drop seoi nage he can get away with so long as the opponent isn't very skilled, or he only uses it when they're already off balance. I can only assume he never uses the sweep in competition.

And, yes, he's missing key aspects. I'd say he's missing the key principle of one of the techniques (confusing the arm spin with a drop seoi nage, using the movement of the latter and the proper execution of neither), and in the other shows a poor understanding of the basics of structure and control (which goes way beyond that one technique).

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Mma can be a bit different in that regard because there are so many elements. Same as the suggesting that the striking used by some fighters is a bit primitive. And yet they still knock people out.

I would have to see a fight to make a real judgement on the guy.

And look he may be crap.

You also can't defend takedowns as well in a MMA fight as you could in a grappling only.

Latest Discussions