Teaching techniques to the handicaped

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you are an instructor How do you go about teaching the handicapped/
I would like all instructors to commit from there experences.
Examples: how do you teach the blind person who wants to learn Arnis. how do you train the polio victum that wants to learn TKD, or the older person that suddenly decieds to learn judo ?
How many have students with ASHD in class, or someone that is mentaly retarded (no disrespect inteended , Do not know politicly correct term these days)
Lets toss around helpful ideas maybe we all can help each other with this one. I know that those with many years teaching must have incountered problems in the past that they worked out
Shadow:asian:

B

Battousai

I have had some limited experience teaching someone in a wheelchair. (My instructor loves teaching handicaped people, so I was introduced to it a little bit). From what little I know, people in wheelchairs have a great advantage when dealing with jujitsu techniques. Their low center of mass allows them to be able to do hard throwing techniques easier then the average biped, in some cases techniques that normal people can't do at all. There are certainly advantages to what appears to be a disadvantage...
Something really cool about wheelchairs is that mean people like to grab them and try to mess around and push the supposed helpless person around. A simple uraken strike to a hand grabbing a metal part of the chair will break bones. Fun stuff :)

T

tigerstorm

I have done some informal teaching with a handicapped child who had serable palsey. It was informal because I wasnt of teaching rank at the time, but I think that the handicapped person has more to gain from martial arts than the average person. I know this isnt much about how to teach them but lets address the fact that the little boy who walked into our school stood with the aid of braces and to make a long story short was able to develpo his body enough so the next winter he was snowboarding. I think they main thing to understand when you teach this person is to set goals for them that would be as hard as reaching black belt for an unhindered person. In the case of this child with braces our goal was that he stand on his own on one leg for 15 seconds. Sounds easy when you can stand on your own to begin with, his first day though I think he made it somewhere around 2 seconds. Im happy to say he did at his best reach almost 30 seconds on one leg. I guess my only advice is to structure the teachings to and around the ability or disability of the student that your teaching.
Tigerstorm

OP
tshadowchaser

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
when we opened the school, a few years ago, our junior class had ten students. Of the 10, seven had some type of learning disability. It was a challange to keep their attention and to get everyone doing the same thing.
we where able to get a great deal accomplished some nights by haveing a faster paced class. Never letting them get boared. If we saw someone drifting (metaly) we would speak to them(asking questions about what came next or just makeing them check their stances).
Most drifted away for one reason or another (baseball, family matters, just didn't want to study) but we still have two of them in class. They have progressed to the point where we can have them help instruct the newer students( we watch closely and give hints on what the new person is doing or not doing right).Positive attitude and the responsibility of training others has helped these two have a better attention span.
whats great is going shoping and running into one of these kids ( even the ones who didn't stay) they all bow , no matter where they are. and the smiles on their faces is worth more than anything else.
Shadow

Shotochem

Purple Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I think is is a great thing to be abl to bring MAs to the disabled. I was wondering how you would train a child with ADHD
my son has it and it was very difficult to get him to focus in class (he is 81/8yrs old). He is very bright and actually has above average intelligence and he is fairly athletic so he physically able to do the drills. Any suggestions I would like to have him start training with me again. ( He used to take Shotokan classes with me before)

OP
tshadowchaser

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shotochem,
The first thing is to get him to go back to where you study and watc again. If he shows an intrest get him on thee floor or train him yourslef for a while. The method of constantly keeping him involved, changing what you are teaching , and constant movement mayhelp to keep him paying attention.
Find the one thing that seems to spark him,(dose he like kicking the bag, useing sticks, etc.) give him time to do whatever he likes doing then tell him its time t do something else for a little while. Or do it the other way tell him he can kick the bag but first you would him to do the first moves of a kata or the next three moves . Reward him for doing well by haveing him help teach or have him remind you how to do something.
Just some suggestions. Hope they help a little.
Some of the other instructors must have encountered this befor what did you guys/girls do?

Shadow

T

tunetigress

As a Martial Artist with a disability I feel compelled to jump in on this thread. Very few 'able-bodied' people can possibly imagine the drive and determination necessary for a disabled person to get involved, and stay involved, with normal physical and /or sporting activities. I'd like all instructors out there to know that although your disabled students may not be able to perform each and every technique exactly the same way YOU were taught to do it, they will do everything they can to do what you are teaching them, to the very best of THEIR ability. Working with the disabled requires a very individualized approach to instruction. Not all instructors are open-minded enough to adjust their teaching to accommodate persons who do not fit into the image that they have in their mind of the type of student they want in their school. ( One of my former instructors being a prime example of such behaviour.)
I would also like to point out that there are hundreds of 'legitimate' disabilities that do not involve wheelchairs. The inability to walk is a 'visible disability,' and one of the very few which garners any recognition, accommodation, or respect. Children with a 'learning disability' and people like me with a respiratory disability, suffer from 'invisible disabilities,' and it is very demeaning to be trying your hardest , yet still not be 'good enough,' or 'work hard enough' to conform with someone's judgements put upon you because, in their opinion, you 'look just fine' to them! Instructors who devote their time to enriching the lives of the disabled can expect to have their efforts rewarded a hundred-fold for their troubles. I would go to the ends of the earth for an instructor who was willing to focus on my ABILITIES, and allow me to develop at my own pace to become the Martial Artist that I know I can be. (Hey GD, are you getting any of this???? LOL!) Kenpo continues to be my life-line, and I will study it because I love it. When an instructor stands in my way, I will get a new instructor. Plenty of them out there. :asian:

OP
tshadowchaser

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For some reason the area I live in has many disabled people.
we have had more than a few come in wanting to learn, or so they said. Unfortunatly to many of them had the greatest disability, that being the "I can't do that"syndrom. Getting past that threshhold may be the hardest part of training. When the student says I'll try my best I'm doing it to the best of my ability, they win my respect.
changeing a technique to accomadate(sp) a student who is trying is not that hard in most cases. No it may not look exactly the same because it is not. But it can be as close as possible and as effective as the body will allow
Shadow

T

tunetigress

The 'I can't do that' syndrome is a result of the constant barrage of 'you can't do that' and 'don't hurt yourself' and 'are you sure you are well enough?' ( etc etc etc ) comments that disabled people must contend with day in and day out. Other people are continually passing judgement on the disabled, often as a misplaced form of 'support' and 'advice.' After I was disabled , friend after so-called friend, had an opinion to share with me about my attempts to continue to train, and, heaven forbid, compete! No-one EXPECTED me to be able to continue with Kenpo. No one can figure out how I could possibly be ABLE to do so. Thankfully for me, I am older than dirt, and have no-one's expectations to live up to other than my own. Many disabled people have spent a lifetime living up to the very low expectations of the people they must deal with on a daily basis. A good M A instructor has a lot to offer a disabled person, but perhaps not in the old, more traditional manner, and certainly not in the way most of you would EXPECT. Any enhancement to the 'quality of life' of a person like me by a person like you, is a gift that will have lasting value, and not to be taken lightly.

V

VampyrSoul2000

Now.... do I put my two cents or so in this thread or not? Since most know who I am now and my handicap, and my feelings on things.

You are only as handicapped as you want to be. I am there every night. I admit most nights I hurt too damn much to do anything, but I give it a shot.

As, for dealing with other, treat them no different as anyone else. Yes, you may have to go a tad easier on them, but out on the street, no street person will. Don't insult them by going really easy on them. It doesn't do them any good.

Pop may disagree or not, but it's my feelings on it. For the most part I don't ask for special treatment. Just let me do what I can and let it go at that. I know my limits. And so will anyone else with a disability.

V-Soul

Shotochem

Purple Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
shadow, in response about my son, I can only teach him as much as I know Ive only been training for 2 years. He started a year before I did. He is fairly athletic and extremly flexible ( he does gymnastics). He knows most of the basic techniques and a few katas. I just cant get him to behave in the dojo without it interfering with the learning in the class. I even tried lining up next to him for drills and kata this helped for a while. I guess I will have him practice with me at home 15min at a time when I can hold his attention. Maybe at some point I can try taking him to train in class again Im trying not to push him.

OP
tshadowchaser

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We have a young man (8 ?) in class at this time who will be working out one minute and laying on the floor watching everyone else the next. Or he may do a form then just walk off to bang sticks on "BoB". It is a job keeping him doing what we are doing. Some nights he is with the rest of class all night some nights minutes after he comes in his mind wonders off.
I have seen nights when nothing seemed to be able to reach this young man He only went deeper into his own world the more we tried to reach him. It is a hard battle and we are lucky to have a small class so we can work with him on a one to one bases most of the time (if we have to). He is an excellent student most of the time and will helpothers when he knows the techniques, He seems to enjoy helping others.
I have no "quick fix" answere but we have noticed that if he only comes once or twice at the most a week he dose better.
My best wishes to you Shotochem and to your son. If you ever want to E-mail me just to sound off or vent frustration it's ok my email is available through my profile. Keep all of us on the forum informed of what seems to spark your sons intrest and what holds his attention.
Tunetigress Those of us old souls don't know how to give up thats why we are in the arts. Your dedication to learning should be an inspiration to all
Shadow

Shotochem

Purple Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Shadow, You just described my son exactly. I thank you for your kind words and advice. We will not give up its just too much fun:) :)

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
First, what does ADHD stand for?

We have a kid in kenpo, he's a purple belt that will do some of the things that you described tshadowchaser (you big kitty), but for the most part, the instructor treats him like everyone else.

:asian:

OP
tshadowchaser

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Has not even one of you taught the blind.
No stories or helpful ideas to share.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A one-page article in the 28 August 2000 issue of Newsweek discusses teaching mentally and physically handicapped children as part of a more general article on children taking the martial arts.

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by tshadowchaser

Has not even one of you taught the blind.
No stories or helpful ideas to share.

I never have taught any one with any type visual imparements.

Have you?

:asian:

OP
tshadowchaser

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes I have. I do not wish to be the only poster on the thrad with all the people registered there must be someone out there who has had 'challanged" students, besides me.
As has been stated befor the area I live inhas way more than seems to be a normal amount of handicapped people. If I was one to belive in such things I say don't drink the water (and mean it). Jst far to many blind, deaf, crippled peole around here.
Shadow

Latest Discussions