90 year old man still teaching Judo

B

Baytor

This is really cool.

http://www.davesdaily.com/out.php?id=1770&url=http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/ap/20041201/ap_on_fe_st/geriatric_judo

90-Year-Old Man Still Teaching Kids Judo
Tue Nov 30, 8:21 PM ET
http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/ad...ry2&u=/ap/20041201/ap_on_fe_st/geriatric_judo

LINCOLN, Neb. - Paul Owen turned 90 this week, and he's still getting his kicks from judo. "I don't know what keeps me young," Owen said. Maybe it's the kids he teaches at John Roseberry's Sho-Rei-Shobu-Kan Martial Arts Center in Lincoln.

Owen, a fourth-degree black belt, easily keeps up with his exuberant students between ages 4 and 12. He instructs them on throws, holds, kicks and other basic movements.

Owen picked up the sport at age 40, taught for almost 40 years and then went on hiatus because he couldn't compete as he had in the past.

"I guess I thought I was too old," he said.

So for a decade, Owen stayed away from the downtown dojo where he taught hundreds of judo novices. He decided to resume teaching the sport he loved two years ago.

Two weeks ago, Owen received a plaque to commemorate his 50 years of judo. Lincoln police Capt. David Beggs, Owen's student 30 years ago, said Owen does a great job working with the young students.

Owen picked up judo after being invited to a class at the University of Nebraska in the 1950s. He became friends with John Roseberry who eventually started his own dojo.

"I was a student and a teacher," Owen said.

Roseberry said Owen has always had a knack for judo. He'd hold his own at the few tournaments he attended, even though he was in his 50s.

Outside the dojo, Owen exercises three times a week. He runs on a treadmill, rides a bike and lifts weights to keep his muscles toned.

"The guy is phenomenal," Beggs said. "I hope I'm still alive at the age he is."

___

Information from: Lincoln Journal Star

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's very cool he is able to still put the gi on and train. :asian:

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Right f'ing on!!!

I'm taking this one to the dojang tomorrow night!!

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Terrific! I enjoyed that article very much! I hope I stay in martial arts forever 'til I croak. (Musing--I wonder if the "other side" has martial arts? :idunno: )

- Ceicei

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wow. 90? Wow. He must be in phenomenal shape for that age to be able to keep moving. A noteworthy benchmark for us all to work toward.

Thanks, Baytor.

:asian:

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is very encouraging for us all. Teaching keeps his body and his mind active and gives him longevity. Plus it gives him purpose in living. We could all strive to follow him. For myself, though, I think I would have to switch to a more on the floor regimen. We had a 70 yr. old in class last year against his doctors orders too, he went for about nine months (didn't do any jumping) then had back trouble and finally stopped. TW

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My hat is off to the gentelman. This gives me hope that I will not get to a point in the near future where I can no longer train and teach. The man deserves all the fame and reconistion that can be given him. :asian:

OP
V

Vadim

Wow....That is an extraordinary accomplishment. My hats off to the man.:asian:

-Vadim

OP
A

auxprix

Don't act so surprised! Us Judoka are a tough bunch afterall! I've had three senseis over the age of 65.

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
wow thats cool isn't the grand pa or great grandpa of graices very old he still does it to i belive this was 2 years ago i think he is still alive

Seigi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I hope to be that good when i'm 90?

Awesome, what an insperation!!!

:whip:

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just reinforces what I believe:

Age is no excuse. I'll still be practicing Tae Kwon Do when I'm 90, I'm convinced of it. I'm thinking about requesting my arms be in either knife hand block or high block position when they put me in the casket.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
And yes, I believe there is martial arts practice in heaven. If Heaven is about being able to continue doing what makes you happy, it stands to reason that I should be able to continue practicing Tae Kwon Do in Heaven.

Latest Discussions