Does Your Martial Art Teach Self Defence?

Does Your Martial Art Give You Self Defence Skills?

• I consider my Martial Art gives me adequate skills to defend myself.

• I consider my Martial Art should be adequate for me to defend myself.

• I think my Martial Art might help me defend myself.

• My Martial Art does not give me enough skills to defend myself.

• I don't know.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In the 1st day of my beginner class, I'll teach how to deal with

1. any punches,
2. front/side kick,
3. roundhouse kick,
4. single leg and double legs shooting.

I believe those 4 attacks are the most common attacks that everybody will have to face in their lifetime no matter what style that they may train later. After that 1st day, I would like to concentrate on offense instead of defense.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the 1st day of my beginner class, I'll teach how to deal with

1. any punches,
2. front/side kick,
3. roundhouse kick,
4. single leg and double legs shooting.

I believe those 4 attacks are the most common attacks that everybody will have to face in their lifetime no matter what style that they may train later. After that 1st day, I would like to concentrate on offense instead of defense.

You should skip the defensive and concentrate on offense.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You should skip the defensive and concentrate on offense.
I don't like to train defense at all. If I'm good at countering leg lift throw (Uchi mata) but nobody ever uses it on me, that will be a big waste on my training time. I just want to let my new guys to understand what kind of problem that they may have to face such as:

- boxer's punch,
- TKD guy's front/side kick,
- MT guy's roundhouse kick,
- wrestler's leg shooting.

After they have a basic understanding that they will have to deal with people from other styles and not just from their own styles, they will have open mind about the word "style" even if they may not be able to learn how to deal with those problems on day one.

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
Chris Parker.

I think I vaguely understand what you are talking about in regards to the Kata. That the attacks are not realistic but merely generic representations of violence to train on. My sensei said something similar when I asked. My question is, typically, when in the training(rank level to make it easy to reference) do arts such as ours, actually start training against modern attacks such as quick retracting jabs, and cross's and other such attacks? I think it is referred to as Jissen Goshinjutsu/Shinken Gata.

I understand that as a beginner, that wont likely happen for a long time, im guessing some time in the Dan level. Which kinda makes me feel awkward as I have had those kinds of attacks(ok some, not weapons and such) thrown with force at me and have experience dealing with them. I feel for the lack of a better word, "itchy" to get to that part of the syllabus. You don't have to answer this If you don't want to, if its to private, I understand, but ill ask any ways. If you didn't know me, and I showed up at your dojo and signed up as a rank beginner. About when do you introduce modern combat defenses and applications?(such as a typical mma/kickboxer striking style, or maybe karate stuff, or any other modern thing)

I guess, my gut tells me, that at some point. Arts that use Visual representations of violence in there paired kata, and drills, need at some point introduce and work off of more realistic attacks.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why should I care about "comprehensive understanding of martial arts" if self-defense is not included in the training?

Well, what do you want to learn? Martial arts or self defence? Why should you care about self defence if you're learning a martial art?

The point is, you can actually get a good basis in self defence in a weekend. That's all. And most of it isn't anything to do with fighting techniques (I've noticed that your posts seem to indicate that you're really only focused on fighting, nothing else... which is cool, really, but it's just not the same as either self defence or martial arts, really). To take two examples, I taught a Women's Self Defence course about a year ago... it ran over two three-hour sessions, held a month apart. The last hour or so of the second day was the only time we dealt with physical techniques and attacks. My Chief Instructor was in Melbourne to present a workshop on self defence late last year... it ran for 3 hours as well, and only the last 20 minutes or so had any physical techniques. If you want to learn self defence, fine... and you don't need any "comprehensive understanding of martial arts"... but, if you want to learn a martial art, you need to actually look to the martial art.

First off I consider what we do in IRT a Martial System or Science of training and not an art form. In the area of "self defense" I think Instinctive Response Training really prepares a practitioner. Particularly having an understanding of the awareness, avoidance, legal issues of self defense, violence in many forms including social and asocial violence. These same skills have been taken overseas by military personnel and they have appreciated having them. They have also been used in mma cage matches with lots of success. There is some cross over!
I'd argue that a martial system, or martial science is the same (at heart) as a martial art, when the origin of the term is looked at... but that said, it sounds good. There's the question of what is the system, and what is auxiliary knowledge, but I'll cover that in a bit. I would say that the usage in non-self defence environments doesn't mean anything in terms of self defence, but I think that's been mentioned already.

I think when you look at "martial arts" in a broad term we tend to try and pigeon hole them into very specific areas. This is totally understandable but we also need to understand that there is a lot of cross over between the areas of sport, self defense, military usage, etc. I have known Tae Kwon Do practitioners that have utilized their skills sets for sporting competitions and also self defense. I have also known more than a few whose primary training while in Korea was Tae Kwon Do. (a few even used the techniques in conflict) So while they studied a form of Tae Kwon Do that was considered an art and geared towards sporting methods they used it in several areas.

I don't think there's been any question about there being any cross-over (real or potential). The question was about whether or not you (the practitioner of x-system) felt that it gave you the skills needed for self defence (from K-man), and whether or not martial arts, designed for a different context and application should be seen as being the same as self defence (from myself).

Pekiti Tirsia Kali is a Filipino Martial System that is utilized by several Filipino military units. It is taught in a format that is really effective at transferring the skills needed to military personnel. It is also a world class martial system that is very, very effective for self defense. Many of the practitioners here in the states have a law enforcement background and make sure that their students know about awareness, avoidance, self defense law, etc. It has also been used in some sporting competitions and they spar.

Again, the question is whether that is part of the system, or part of the schools...

Lets look at Kenjutsu. (generically of course as there are many different systems) Initially it was for martial or military conflict primarily as a back up weapon. Over time as swords became less used in military conflict the skill sets are used less and less in a military setting and instead practiced to retain a system or used for physical, spiritual, mental enlightenment. Now, would you really use kenjutsu in a violent self defense situation. Probably not and certainly not as your first choice! However, if you have a shinken by your bed stand like some people I know and someone broke into your house and was entering your bedroom you might grab it and use it for self defense. Is it a self defense system.... probably not but is there some potential to use it in self defense? Absolutely! Since bladed weapons are still used the skills, knowledge you would have in that department might be very valuable. Particularly the movement and getting off line that is taught!

Not sure I'd agree with your history on kenjutsu there, Brian... and if you had a shinken by your bed here, well, you'd be arrested as well. Not exactly legal, you see. Additionally, you'd need to be able to justify using such a lethal response... and simply saying "they broke in" doesn't cut it in all areas... (ha, "cut it"... I see what I did there...). Oh, and Kenjutsu is fairly removed from smaller blade usage that would far more likely be encountered, so the applicability is lowered again.

Let's look at Judo. Judo derives from jujutsu and has become a modern Olympic sport. As such it is now a sporting martial system. Yet, Judo is and would be a great system for self defense. Throwing people to the ground is simply devastating! So once again we have cross over!

And, again, there hasn't been any question of cross over being there or not (and again, not sure I'd really agree with that take on Judo's history either...).

The current Reality Based Self Defense systems that are all over the place on many levels resemble a martial art or as I would prefer a martial system. They have curriculums from striking, to grappling, with weapons, etc. What they have added in effectively is awareness, avoidance, understanding of violence from social to asocial, etc. They are typically geared to function in the hear and now and also designed to function as Chris mentions some times in a certain geographical area. (the laws, rules of self defense do differ from nation to nation, or state to state) They are filling a need with a segment of society that does not want geographical trappings from a martial art or people who are not interested in wearing a martial uniform. (ie. karate uniform, etc.) Most RBSD still require you to come to class regularly and participate in physical skill sets that you have to regularly practice or they diminish in effectiveness. There are of course RBSD curriculums that are weekend seminars, etc. and while that fills a need it simply is not the most practical way to learn and maintain physical skill sets.

It's not just the laws changing from one location to another that needs to be understood, it's the changing culture as well. That's probably more important than the differing laws, when it comes down to it. And the reason they can work over a weekend course is that they're not about maintaining physical skills... they're about introducing a different approach to the martial art training you may already have, or be doing. Very few RBSD systems are designed as stand-alone approaches.
Bottom line there is simply cross over between sporting, civilian and military usage with martial systems. What changes quite often is the rules of engagement. However, some things never change like being aware of your surroundings, avoiding unnecessary conflict when applicable (think military here or civilian), understanding the rules of engagement whether from a military perspective or a civilian self defense perspective. I would add also from a sporting angle here as well as you need to understand the rules of whatever martial sport you train in. Lots of cross over!

Sure, there's cross over... but that's far from saying that one equals the other. There's cross-over between baseball and golf, between soccer and basketball, but they aren't the same at all.

I think we as martial practitioner's need to make sure that no matter what system we train in as a citizen of our country we should understand our state/country self defense laws. How to be aware and avoid violence. What kinds of violence are out there and what are the precursors both voluntary and involuntary to violence!

This is really just common sense kind of stuff. Not rocket science!

Nah... in my Kenjutsu, Kyudo, Iai etc the only laws I need to worry about are those that dictate what I can carry where... and what licences I need to have (as well as how to get them). My classical Jujutsu isn't even concerned with that at all. Look at things like some of the Shinden Fudo Ryu Jutaijutsu waza... or the Kukishinden ones... where you basically get grabbed, so you break the other guys neck or back.... not really concerned with any form of legality in my state there. My self defence training, on the other hand... there, it's essential.

Interesting opinion. And may I ask what your source data is to make such a sweeping statement? Last I checked, our school specializes in self-defense. Actually it is our sole purpose. And we include kata, bunkai, history as well as flinch response, OODA loop, gross motor skills, realistic applications that have been documented to work in real world altercations, escape and evasion, de-esculation, verbal judo, applicable SD laws, first aid/self aid, weapons and improvised weapons, psychological and physiological reactions to stress and adrenaline dump (such as fight or flight, tunnel vision, auditory exclusion, loss of dexterity in extremities etc) and the list goes on.

Although many schools do teach self-defense, or teach it incorrectly, we cannot lump everything under one blanket. There are still martial arts schools that teach self defense as a comprehensive subject.

There's quite a distinction between a school that specializes in self defence (in a way, so does mine... at least in our modern approach) and a martial art that deals with it. From all accounts of Kong Soo Do, it's an amalgam of Okinawan, Japanese and Korean approaches to karate-based systems... none of which were designed for Western social violence. So, while I don't doubt that your school provides such things, as does mine, a separation needs to be recognized between the teachings of the art and the teachings of the school.

Chris Parker.

I think I vaguely understand what you are talking about in regards to the Kata. That the attacks are not realistic but merely generic representations of violence to train on. My sensei said something similar when I asked.

Well.... yes and no, actually. The attacks need to be realistic, but they aren't realistic attacks... they are, however, representations of realistic attacks... or, representations of forms of violence... or situations... or none of the above, instead being tactical structures in a far more symbolic form, designed to teach lessons rather than even be practical or combatively effective methods. It depends on the kata, the system, the section of the system, and so on.

My question is, typically, when in the training(rank level to make it easy to reference) do arts such as ours, actually start training against modern attacks such as quick retracting jabs, and cross's and other such attacks? I think it is referred to as Jissen Goshinjutsu/Shinken Gata.

Jissen means "real fight", Goshinjutsu means "self defence art", Shinken means "true sword"... these terms are used by different organisations, but don't necessarily mean modern usage/application (aside from Goshinjutsu... although that is also not always the case. Judo's Goshin no Kata, for example, is quite dated by todays standards with regards to what it's designed against). Shinken Gata is a common enough term in the Bujinkan, with other organizations using other preferred terminology.

But, to the point... when do you start training against modern attacks? You don't. They're not part of it. Look, you're training a traditional system where the methods come from a different country from hundreds of years ago. Expecting them to therefore deal with modern forms of violence is nonsensical. It'd be like, when learning Latin, to ask when you're going to learn modern Italian. You're not.

That said, especially in the Bujinkan, there's no telling when your instructor might decide to change things, or apply them in any other form. But there's nothing in the methods of any of the Ryu that deal with modern Western violence... why would they?

I understand that as a beginner, that wont likely happen for a long time, im guessing some time in the Dan level. Which kinda makes me feel awkward as I have had those kinds of attacks(ok some, not weapons and such) thrown with force at me and have experience dealing with them. I feel for the lack of a better word, "itchy" to get to that part of the syllabus.

There's no such part. You're making a common mistake, which is to assume that all martial arts deal with the same problems... they don't.

You don't have to answer this If you don't want to, if its to private, I understand, but ill ask any ways. If you didn't know me, and I showed up at your dojo and signed up as a rank beginner. About when do you introduce modern combat defenses and applications?(such as a typical mma/kickboxer striking style, or maybe karate stuff, or any other modern thing)

At my school? Day one. Each class is split into three main sections (with a couple of additional ones, such as the warm-up/ukemi, intro, and study period), which are Traditional Taijutsu (from the Ryu-ha), Buki (Weaponry, commonly traditional, with a few modern ones thrown in), and Modern Self Defence. As you can see, it's distinctly separated from the traditional martial art side of things... because, although the martial art side informs a fair portion of the self defence, they are really quite different.

I guess, my gut tells me, that at some point. Arts that use Visual representations of violence in there paired kata, and drills, need at some point introduce and work off of more realistic attacks.

Why?

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
Chris I don't have time for a detailed response right now. I ask because many in the Bujikan advertise that they teach something that can be used in self defense. I also drew my conclusions from something I have been hearing. That the system in the bujinkan is Alive and addresses new things using existing techniques, instead of adding new ones.

ILL post more later, off to work now lol

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, what do you want to learn? Martial arts or self defence? Why should you care about self defence if you're learning a martial art?

The point is, you can actually get a good basis in self defence in a weekend. That's all. And most of it isn't anything to do with fighting techniques (I've noticed that your posts seem to indicate that you're really only focused on fighting, nothing else... which is cool, really, but it's just not the same as either self defence or martial arts, really). To take two examples, I taught a Women's Self Defence course about a year ago... it ran over two three-hour sessions, held a month apart. The last hour or so of the second day was the only time we dealt with physical techniques and attacks. My Chief Instructor was in Melbourne to present a workshop on self defence late last year... it ran for 3 hours as well, and only the last 20 minutes or so had any physical techniques. If you want to learn self defence, fine... and you don't need any "comprehensive understanding of martial arts"... but, if you want to learn a martial art, you need to actually look to the martial art.
You have used the following 3 terms.

- MA,
- self defense,
- fighting.

Here are clips from my class.

Will you be able to tell whether those guys are doing MA, self defense, or fighting? Maybe I can understand your definitions better this way.

Last edited by a moderator:

wimwag

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The first thing Sensei told me was "In here, what you will learn is a brutal street level style of defense. You will only be successful if you train hard and keep an open mind. I cannot teach you if you come into class with a closed mind." Coming from training in a style that primarily taught sparring sport, I am very pleased with the improvement in my hand to hand skills.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Chris I don't have time for a detailed response right now. I ask because many in the Bujikan advertise that they teach something that can be used in self defense. I also drew my conclusions from something I have been hearing. That the system in the bujinkan is Alive and addresses new things using existing techniques, instead of adding new ones.

ILL post more later, off to work now lol

Honestly mate, that's marketing rhetoric. Many, many martial arts claim to be teaching self defence, but barely do anything related other than some lip service. There can be a belief that "these techniques work in this context, therefore they'll work in a completely different one that it doesn't actually deal with or address"... When it comes to the Bujinkan itself, the idea of it being "alive" (which is actually a bit different to the "aliveness" concept of Matt Thornton, for the record) is taken from Hatsumi's focus on constant henka (variation), and his preference for never performing the same technique twice (or, at least, never the same way twice), as well as an early comment attributed to Hatsumi in Hayes' first book, where he criticised Koryu arts as being "stuffy, museum pieces", whereas what he was teaching was a "living art" (small point, Hatsumi might be right on a small number of cases, but is rather incorrect for a larger range of the arts he's criticising).

The Bujinkan is constantly adding "new" techniques... or at least, it's fairly common to come up with many new techniques based off the original. Hatsumi, for instance, will often take a single technique, then go off on an exploration of one or another aspect of it... and then go off on an exploration from there... and so on. That leads to a whole mess of entirely "new" techniques, often completely unrelated to or recognisable as being from the original. Other times, he'll simply start with some concept or idea, not necessarily anything from any of the actual material at all, and then go from there (I've seen this far more with his weaponry methods).

You have used the following 3 terms.

- MA,
- self defense,
- fighting.

Here are clips from my class.

Will you be able to tell whether those guys are doing MA, self defense, or fighting? Maybe I can understand your definitions better this way.

Well, it doesn't look anything like self defence (there's no real attack, no real sense of distancing for a real attack, no understanding of set-up, no awareness, and so on), it looks like simply learning a basic technique... which could lead into martial arts, or could (potentially, although it's not that well suited) be applied in self defence... but here, it's just a fighting technique. And, if I'm to be blunt, rather poorly done in most cases. Very bad control, no balance, poor positioning of the hips, overly muscled, and brutish. Of course, I don't know how long these guys have been training, but if they're relatively new, they're doing things way too fast, which is leading them to miss all the subtleties that makes it effective, and if they're more experienced, they need to slow down until they can do it properly.

The first thing Sensei told me was "In here, what you will learn is a brutal street level style of defense. You will only be successful if you train hard and keep an open mind. I cannot teach you if you come into class with a closed mind." Coming from training in a style that primarily taught sparring sport, I am very pleased with the improvement in my hand to hand skills.

Ha, yeah... to be honest, he's wrong. For the record, I'm a big fan of Shorin Ryu... it's a fantastic system, powerful, direct, effective, strong, and more. "Brutal"? Eh... what I do is more brutal. "Street level style of defence"? Not any modern, Western streets, no. I'm not saying he's lying... I'm sure he believes what he said.... but it's again more of a marketing speech. And, honestly, it's a good thing that it's not really a "brutal street level style of defence"... because brutal tends to be overkill, which takes you from "defence" to "assault". So it's a great system... it has many, many benefits... and is certainly full of very applicable principles and mechanics (once again, I think Shorin Ryu, along with many of the Okinawan systems, is fantastic, very down-to-earth in it's approach, no mess, no fuss... kinda love it)... but an objective viewpoint can be beneficial. I certainly agree with your instructor about going in with an open mind, of course... I'd say that applies to all arts.

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
Chris, im trying to reconcile the notion of training on unrealistic attacks. Its apparent that it works, based on all the stories I have heard from other BBT members and my sensei regarding people who have used it to defend them selves in real situations.. Im just still trying to figure out how? Case in point catching a punch and into a wrist lock takedown. Aikido gets picked on for this, and BBT has this to some extent that i have seen from the higher ups. (please reference my PM)

I get my issue is, I am still thinking of a fight with a trained mma fighter. Your not going to catch a jab, its never going to happen. However, i don't really think people jab on the street. Not in the videos of street fights i have seen. Maybe a cross as its got a different energy and is more committed.

It apparently works, and i need to figure out how. The only way to do that is more training.

K man Can you chime in on the Aikido punch catching wrist lock stuff? I would love to know the hows and why of your styles reasoning on that.

I have a hunch about what it is possibly about, but I cant verify it till later in my training.

Spinedoc

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Chris, im trying to reconcile the notion of training on unrealistic attacks. Its apparent that it works, based on all the stories I have heard from other BBT members and my sensei regarding people who have used it to defend them selves in real situations.. Im just still trying to figure out how? Case in point catching a punch and into a wrist lock takedown. Aikido gets picked on for this, and BBT has this to some extent that i have seen from the higher ups. (please reference my PM)

I get my issue is, I am still thinking of a fight with a trained mma fighter. Your not going to catch a jab, its never going to happen. However, i don't really think people jab on the street. Not in the videos of street fights i have seen. Maybe a cross as its got a different energy and is more committed.

It apparently works, and i need to figure out how. The only way to do that is more training.

K man Can you chime in on the Aikido punch catching wrist lock stuff? I would love to know the hows and why of your styles reasoning on that.

I have a hunch about what it is possibly about, but I cant verify it till later in my training.

Well, not K-Man, but I can chime in a little on Aikido. You can't catch a fast moving, trained punch, that's not possible. No credible Aikidoka I know of, will make that claim. However, you can still deflect that energy, redirect it and set up your wrist technique at the end of the motion, when they are off balance and committed.

Not every Aikido technique even involves grabbing a wrist, in fact, a lot of it doesn't. It's blending and re-direction of their energy and using the third leg concept, not grabbing.

Better yet, as my sensei says, you just get out of the way. He describes someone trying to punch you as trying to get to the other side of you...his advice? "Oh, so you want to go over there? Okay, let me help you"

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
Spinedoc, The thing is, every aikido training video has the wrist lock as a finisher in many sequences. Heck I even saw a OLD video of Ueshiba teaching a class, and the famous wrist lock take down was prevalent there as well. You to set up the wrist technique at the end of the motion. I just don't see how. You had me up to that point. Move and deflect work on just about everything, I know that from past experience. The jab is so incrediably fast that I don't really think it is possible to catch it as its coming back. You have to be really good for that I guess.

There is a aikido place over a hour away. Maybe ill drop by someday and pick his brain.

Spinedoc

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Spinedoc, The thing is, every aikido training video has the wrist lock as a finisher in many sequences. Heck I even saw a OLD video of Ueshiba teaching a class, and the famous wrist lock take down was prevalent there as well. You to set up the wrist technique at the end of the motion. I just don't see how. You had me up to that point. Move and deflect work on just about everything, I know that from past experience. The jab is so incrediably fast that I don't really think it is possible to catch it as its coming back. You have to be really good for that I guess.

There is a aikido place over a hour away. Maybe ill drop by someday and pick his brain.

Here's an example using kaitenage. This is just deflection and re-direction. When I was younger and in the Navy, I saw this work on someone. Had no idea what art it was at that time, or what it was called, but now, I realize that it was an aikido practitioner using this kaitenage. Guy punched hard at his head (drunk, navy party, young guys, girl involved...nothing more need be said) and this guy used this technique so fast it was a blur (or it was my own alcohol laden eyes making it look like a blur) and he sent the guy into a wall so hard that it knocked him out....ended the fight in about 1.5 seconds.

There's no wrist grab here.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score

I have been working on something similar against a DLT , a slightly different set up but containing the same movement between 0:14-0:16 in the video, interesting how something can be used against two different types of attacks with just a little modification.

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
That was a good clip. I loved that deflection he used. I wonder if it exists in BBT? What is it called?

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have been working on something similar against a DLT , a slightly different set up but containing the same movement between 0:14-0:16 in the video, interesting how something can be used against two different types of attacks with just a little modification.

The bogus thing about this stuff is that a person is not always going nicely roll forward.

Spinedoc

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The bogus thing about this stuff is that a person is not always going nicely roll forward.

The guy I saw in real life didn't roll forward...he went flying into a wall and landed on his head....hence he was out of the fight.

Those "nice" rolls are to protect you as uke. It allows nage to actually perform the technique without hurting uke. In a real life application, it won't look as pretty and will probably hurt the person.

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score
The guy I saw in real life didn't roll forward...he went flying into a wall and landed on his head....hence he was out of the fight.

Those "nice" rolls are to protect you as uke. It allows nage to actually perform the technique without hurting uke. In a real life application, it won't look as pretty and will probably hurt the person.

Understood. However, there is good chance they slam into you, both going to the ground. Also, you may not get them to fall forward, either. My point is that it is a good technique but there are other likely outcomes that should be considered. After doing hapkido for a long time, I realized that I lived in a bubble where footwork, failing, grabbing can be expected, because my classmates shared a common way of moving.

Spinedoc

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Understood. However, there is good chance they slam into you, both going to the ground. Also, you may not get them to fall forward, either. My point is that it is a good technique but there are other likely outcomes that should be considered. After doing hapkido for a long time, I realized that I lived in a bubble where footwork, failing, grabbing can be expected, because my classmates shared a common way of moving.

Of course, and we practice some of that too....Kaeshi Waza techniques. We just worked on one where nage would attempt to apply shihonage and uke would spin out of the shihonage....so now what....?? Well, we practiced taking them immediately into yonkyo......One technique doesn't work? Okay, move into the next one, and it should flow seamlessly.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
there is good chance they slam into you, ...
In the throwing art, there is a very important principle and that is, "you need to give your opponent plenty of space to fall." In other words, you need to move your body to be out of your opponent's moving path. Most of the time, you will use "wheeling footwork" by

- move your back foot forward,
- move your leading foot backward, and
- spin your body.

In Chinese MA, this move is called "neck mopping". When you use this move, if your opponent

- yields, you borrow his forward momentum and throw him forward.
- resists, you borrow his backward momentum and throw him backward.

This clip is an example that your opponent refuses to be pulled forward so you throw him backward instead.

This clip show how the general "neck mopping" is trained.

http://www.56.com/u43/v_NjU5NTg2NzI.html

This move also work well with a knee strike to the face/chest, foot sweep the leg, ... It's interesting to see that all throwing arts may share the same principle even the name used may be different.

Latest Discussions