Does a martial art ever change in your eyes

J

jjmcc

Martial arts are now available to the masses around the world so do the martial arts available stay the same. I know the history and principles stay the same but the way they are taught changes. So what is your opinion on this?

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Of course the method of instruction changes with each new instructor. Each person has their own individual style of teaching(natch), and also the things they learn from their own personal studies/experience are reflected in their teachings on a concious or subconcious level. So gradually over the years new ideas/methods are incorporated and old ideas/methods are either shelved or become traditions.
Becoming a master in your chosen art often requires you to discover new ways of doing this move, technique, form, kata ...whatever! Recent GMs like Ed Parker and Bruce Lee for example took their chosen arts to a different level and created their own unique styles. Before GM Parker there was no EPAK Kenpo Karate.
So yeah, it changes.
On a personal level? For me (JKDI) it constantly changes because I continually learn new stuff (new to me anyway) so my growth as a MA continues to this day.

:asian:

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Martial Art the system never really changes, the instructor may teach a technique a little different. Every instructor try's to add a little bit of there self into there particular style.

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
True a punch is a punch and a kick is a kick but the way you do them may change through out time....maybe not much but it will change....as people do.
Phylosophies and Ideas will change...great masters will die off....Disgruntaled Martial Artists that thinks everyone but himself and his teachers are wrong will either learn to grow up or eventually die off as well.

But a great man once said

"IF DEATH IS A DOOR WAY, TIME IS A WINDOW, I'LL BE BACK."

OP
T

Tidy_Sammy

I would imagine that each instructor does things slightly differently, thus there can be some minor changes.

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The body mechanics of martial arts will alway be the same, regardless of style or influences. What is under constant change are ways to apply those body mechanics to defend one's self. The philosophy and guiding pricniples are dictated by the times in which we live. Some things never change, such as humility, honor, and self discipline. Things that may change are those affected most by society, such as what are acceptable means of defending yourself.

The more things change the more they stay the same.

Just my thoughts.

-Josh-

OP
J

jjmcc

YouAgain said:
A punch is always going to be a punch, and a kick is still a kick.
If a punch is still a punch and a kick a kick then why do so many people choose to study different martial arts because all the techniques are different which means a punch in one art is very different from a punch in another

OP
J

jjmcc

So it sounds like everyone is saying to a certain extent that the principles stay the same but the art always changes through time.

OP
F

Fbettincourt

I think the arts change through time because the times change. If you lived near the water (lake, river or ocean) then using implements such as the oar would have been practical since they were readily available. If you moved to a mountainous region, the only oars you would probably come across would those that you brought with you.

People use to travel on horseback, now they travel by car and plane. Spears, etc would not work well. When gunpowder came into play, warfare changed.

All martial arts masters of the past, IMO, did not change their arts, but the approach changed. What worked yesterday my not work today, so they researched how to make it fit.

Using NFL football as an example, the game is not the same today as it was 30 years ago. This is due to changes in the personell, equipment, training methods and strategies. Basic strategies stay the same...put the ball in the endzone. The salary cap structures have also formed the league to change its approach. Nothing stays completely the same. That is just the way life is.

peace!

FB

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Martial arts change because times and requirements change. Tae Kwon Do now is not the same as it was 30-40 years ago, for the most part. Tae Kwon Do years ago was designed to save your life, make you a stronger person, and help defend the Korean nation. As a result, technique and thinking was geared toward power and strong concentration. The tournament mindset prevalent today has resulted in necessary changes in thinking as pertaining to how technique is executed and your mindset.
You cannot effectively win tournaments if your technique is designed, and you train, to focus power and defend yourself. If you want to be a tournament champion, you must change your technique and thinking to reflect your goals. If you are not interested in tournaments, or not serious about them, there is no need to change, and you can continue to practice traditional martial arts.
Even within our organization, technique is executed in different ways, depending on the teaching styles of the Instructors. Some students are more tournament oriented, and this is reflected in their technique and fighting style. Others are more traditional, and their technique and power show this.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
Martial arts change because times and requirements change. Tae Kwon Do now is not the same as it was 30-40 years ago, for the most part. Tae Kwon Do years ago was designed to save your life, make you a stronger person, and help defend the Korean nation. As a result, technique and thinking was geared toward power and strong concentration. The tournament mindset prevalent today has resulted in necessary changes in thinking as pertaining to how technique is executed and your mindset.
You cannot effectively win tournaments if your technique is designed, and you train, to focus power and defend yourself. If you want to be a tournament champion, you must change your technique and thinking to reflect your goals. If you are not interested in tournaments, or not serious about them, there is no need to change, and you can continue to practice traditional martial arts.
Even within our organization, technique is executed in different ways, depending on the teaching styles of the Instructors. Some students are more tournament oriented, and this is reflected in their technique and fighting style. Others are more traditional, and their technique and power show this.
An interesting thing I read in Chuck Norris' new autobiography (title escapes me) was that when he was in Korea and got his black belt, they gave him a lapel pin to signify that he was a TSD black belt in public. He said there were some people that came up to give them a hard time but when they saw the pin they ran like hell. That is how respected the black belt was back in the day. It tells you what the street punk's experiences must have been with black belts and what the typical black belt was capable of back then. My how things have changed.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I get the same feeling whenever I drive by a typical strip-mall or commercial martial arts school (what style doesn't matter).

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
I get the same feeling whenever I drive by a typical strip-mall or commercial martial arts school (what style doesn't matter).
Agreed. 12 Year old black belts inspire laughter not fear.

OP
T

TimBreuning

IMO, Martial art does change over time.

I took up karate in 1978 and many has things changed since then. Uchi uke is no longer started by putting fist to opposite shoulder, age uke is not (that much of) a circle, soto uke is not a "phone" style block, etc...

A week ago I attended a training where the new syllabus was being introduced. Not only was a lot of new techniques included, but also other things - senkutsu dachi is still the same stance, but you no longer keep the back leg stretched all the time. After you delivered your punch/block/kick, you might as well keep the leg just a little bend (spelling: bent??), as it will enable you to move faster onwards and won't smash your knee over time.
As people change, MA does too.

/Tim.-)

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
As mentioned, all arts change-they evolve over time. Martial artists themselves evolve as their understanding of their respective art matures with the passage of time. If the art or the artist does not evolve, it is because one or both of them have died.

Miles

OP
D

daddyslittle1

they do change.Not only the art changes,but so do the attitudes

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Fbettincourt said:
I think the arts change through time because the times change. If you lived near the water (lake, river or ocean) then using implements such as the oar would have been practical since they were readily available. If you moved to a mountainous region, the only oars you would probably come across would those that you brought with you.

People use to travel on horseback, now they travel by car and plane. Spears, etc would not work well. When gunpowder came into play, warfare changed.

All martial arts masters of the past, IMO, did not change their arts, but the approach changed. What worked yesterday my not work today, so they researched how to make it fit.

Using NFL football as an example, the game is not the same today as it was 30 years ago. This is due to changes in the personell, equipment, training methods and strategies. Basic strategies stay the same...put the ball in the endzone. The salary cap structures have also formed the league to change its approach. Nothing stays completely the same. That is just the way life is.

peace!

FB
These are close to the same sentiments/discussions/views that I share with many people many decades, many times.