Dit Da Jow

If I used the words ā€˜forearm’ and ā€˜knee’, you’d realise I’m a muggle!

Next time you’re chatting about an inner knee pain to someone, slip in ā€˜medial collateral ligament’ and jaws will drop and people will admire you!
No they won’t.
 
Major issue, thought not the only one, I have lower back problems. Lumbar vertebrae 2,3,4,5.

issue, frequent lower back pain. Hurts to move.

Issue, I can't bend over very far without falling or hanging onto something. Some time I need a cane to walk with, but not always. Frequently have to get on floor in order to pick something up.

Issue, Pain in the back of thighs and calves. Hard to walk. Doctor says source of pain is lower back.

General issue, loss of strength-cause old age.

General issue, Loss of endurance, tire quickly-cause old age

There are others, but, you get the idea.
 
On the flexibility, lack of, I did order this:

Plum Dragon Herbs Flexibility Liniment | Topical Herbal Holistic Herb 4 oz. Bottle​


61GS-amgQUL._AC_SL1500_.webp
 
I also ordered a container of Tiger Balm - Red. Currently using Icey Hot and Ben Gay. Offers some relief, not a whole lot. Also Tyenol.


039278200300_a.webp




Also, get shots at a local pain clinic. These seem to work well for awhile.

All things considered there are people my age who are worse off.

I consider the glass to be half full.


thanks.
 

Attachments

  • 039278200300_b.webp
    039278200300_b.webp
    88.6 KB · Views: 65
DDJ "Each of the DDJ’s I’ve recommended are available as dried herb packs in either half-gallon or full gallon sizes and are surprisingly inexpensive. All you need then is the cheapest 100 proof unflavored vodka (not gin, whiskey etc– just plain vodka because it is the purest form of alcohol and water). You want 100 proof vodka because it’s 50% alcohol and 50% water– both key solvents for the herb’s magical properties." Did some one mention Clark Stanley's Snake Oil Liniment, Hamlin's Wizard Oil Company and Kickapoo Indian Medicine Company





Bottle of Ho Family Dit Da JowA bunch of years ago, a new coach I was working with sustained a minor soft tissue issue (peroneal tendon, as I recall) and I offered him some dit da jow to help ease the pain and ease his recovery. Next thing you know, half of my team was being told to use the stuff. It’s fantastic, yet hardly anyone in the endurance sports community knows about it. It’s time to let the cat out the bag.

Dit da jow is a form of Chinese liniment commonly used in martial arts. Forget about what you know about liniment, balms, and embrocation– all of which smell like Ben-Gay and leave your body with an itchy-icy-hot feeling. Traditional dit da jows (DDJ) are nothing like that. First, very few if any have methyl salicyclate (oil of wintergreen) that gives western liniments their characteristic smell. Instead, they use traditional Chinese medicine principles and ingredients to open up pathways, balance energies, and restore Qi. All esoteric eastern medicine aside, they also work damn well to increase blood flow while reducing inflammation.

More than you wanted to know
 
Major issue, thought not the only one, I have lower back problems. Lumbar vertebrae 2,3,4,5.

issue, frequent lower back pain. Hurts to move.

Issue, I can't bend over very far without falling or hanging onto something. Some time I need a cane to walk with, but not always. Frequently have to get on floor in order to pick something up.

Issue, Pain in the back of thighs and calves. Hard to walk. Doctor says source of pain is lower back.

General issue, loss of strength-cause old age.

General issue, Loss of endurance, tire quickly-cause old age

There are others, but, you get the idea.
I am doubtful that jow will help you with this, even if you manage to get a quality product, which I am skeptical if it is a commercial product.

Jow is meant to be applied to forearms and hands, before and after training that involves clashing limbs with partners, hitting sand bags, etc. The idea is that the jow will aid in preventing injuries that might happen as the limbs clash, and helping heal the minor bruising that is inevitable, to heal more quickly. In addition, it is supposed to help condition the limbs so that they can withstand such beating more readily, without building callouses on knuckles and such. Some formulas might be more intended for healing actual injuries, but I suspect what would be more fruitful is a visit to a good chiropractor, if you haven’t already done so, and it likely would require a series of visits if this problem has been in place for some time. If Jow helps in this process, I think the effects will be slow and subtle, and would be mostly supplemental to other treatment, such as chiropractic.

Otherwise, lots of stretching.

If the injury is beyond chiropractic, if the spinal disks are damaged or deteriorated, jow isnt gonna help you. It won’t hurt (unless you are allergic to some ingredients, in which case it might give you a rash) but you might be looking at back surgery. Get a medical diagnosis.

It’s important to understand the limits of a treatment. Jow isn’t a magic elixir that can just heal you of all of your ills.
 
Last edited:
Ordered myself a little pot of red tiger balm. Gonna try it on a small, unobtrusive piece of skin to make sure there's no allergic reaction as recommended
 
"...people will admire you!"

And wonder what country you are from.

Ordered myself a little pot of red tiger balm. Gonna try it on a small, unobtrusive piece of skin to make sure there's no allergic reaction as recommended
Once I injured my upper left rhomboid muscle and moped about it during class. My Sifu got a big jar out and pulled a rolled up package out of it that smelled like a radioactive sewer. It was a roll of cloth with green and black sticky goo painted thick on it. He cut a section and peeled the cloth apart and stuck it to my back. He said, ā€œnow get back to workā€. It felt cold like icy hot for a few minutes. After about 10 minutes it got so uncomfortable hot that I believed it was blistering my skin. He told me to leave it on until the next day. After two hours the area felt numb. The next day it came off and left a dark brown stain that lasted a week. I don’t know if it helped but I never moped about my aches and pains in front of Sifu again.
 
Once I injured my upper left rhomboid muscle and moped about it during class. My Sifu got a big jar out and pulled a rolled up package out of it that smelled like a radioactive sewer. It was a roll of cloth with green and black sticky goo painted thick on it. He cut a section and peeled the cloth apart and stuck it to my back. He said, ā€œnow get back to workā€. It felt cold like icy hot for a few minutes. After about 10 minutes it got so uncomfortable hot that I believed it was blistering my skin. He told me to leave it on until the next day. After two hours the area felt numb. The next day it came off and left a dark brown stain that lasted a week. I don’t know if it helped but I never moped about my aches and pains in front of Sifu again.
I tried explaining this to a young boy during "warmup" in my old karate class. "The more you complain, the more she enjoys it, the worse it gets! Just stop talking!"
 
but you might be looking at back surgery. Get a medical diagnosis.
First time I went to neurosurgeon after testing he said he didn't think I was a good candidate for surgery (I happened to notice he was wearing a Rolex with a black face). He said come back in a year. So I did. The second time did all same tests again and he said I was not a good candidate for surgery. I happened to notice he had on a Rolex with a blue face. I sked him how many Rolex's he had. He pulled his shirt sleeve down over the Rolex and picked up the file and said "We're done". And left.
 
First time I went to neurosurgeon after testing he said he didn't think I was a good candidate for surgery (I happened to notice he was wearing a Rolex with a black face). He said come back in a year. So I did. The second time did all same tests again and he said I was not a good candidate for surgery. I happened to notice he had on a Rolex with a blue face. I sked him how many Rolex's he had. He pulled his shirt sleeve down over the Rolex and picked up the file and said "We're done". And left.
Have a look at this.
IMG_4663.webp


The author was back pain doctor the stars- Steven Tyler, Larry Davidā€¦šŸ¤”ā€¦two stars. It’s a bit out there, suggesting back pain (or rather axial pain-shoulder, upper back, lumbar region and even knee) may be due to previous psychological trauma. It’s helped some people…
 
Thanks. I just ordered copy. Pain comes and goes, randomly in my opinion. got out of bed walked to kitchen to make toast. could hardly walk sat down ate toast little pain.walked to den little pain. walked back to bedroom bad pain again???
 
no bulging disk. For awhile at the beginning pain was worst from about 4" left of spine to about 8" right of spine. Started out getting shots mostly on right side. After 3 or 4 series of shots the relief kept getting longer periods of time. Went about 2 years with no pain. Then it returned. Then had rhizotomy. worked for awhile. About 2 months ago pain came back but mostly on left side. also had new pain on back of thighs, knees and upper calves. Las t3 week getting progressively worse randomly. If i sit still or lay still, very little pain. But standing or walking (can't run, hop, skip, or jump!) pain comes back, not continuously, but off/on. Have appointment for next December 11th.
 
no bulging disk. For awhile at the beginning pain was worst from about 4" left of spine to about 8" right of spine. Started out getting shots mostly on right side. After 3 or 4 series of shots the relief kept getting longer periods of time. Went about 2 years with no pain. Then it returned. Then had rhizotomy. worked for awhile. About 2 months ago pain came back but mostly on left side. also had new pain on back of thighs, knees and upper calves. Las t3 week getting progressively worse randomly. If i sit still or lay still, very little pain. But standing or walking (can't run, hop, skip, or jump!) pain comes back, not continuously, but off/on. Have appointment for next December 11th.
Chronic back pain is the work of Beelzebub himself…bast*rdo!
 
First time I went to neurosurgeon after testing he said he didn't think I was a good candidate for surgery (I happened to notice he was wearing a Rolex with a black face). He said come back in a year. So I did. The second time did all same tests again and he said I was not a good candidate for surgery. I happened to notice he had on a Rolex with a blue face. I sked him how many Rolex's he had. He pulled his shirt sleeve down over the Rolex and picked up the file and said "We're done". And left.
Ok so point is, you’ve been examined to rule out that kind of problem, which could be worsened or at least would not be helped by other types of treatment. Did this doctor tell you what he believed the problem is, and did he suggest other kinds of treatment? Telling you that you are not a candidate for surgery is one thing, but he ought to be giving you more information than that so that you can seek out other options.

You might want to talk to a good chiropractor. You have to be a bit careful with them; some try to sell an inflated notion of the value of their treatment, claiming they can cure cancer through spinal manipulations and such. Some try to sell you a bunch of really expensive dietary supplements and vitamin pills. That is all nonsense and those fellows are to be avoided. But a good chiropractor who understands the limits of the treatment can be worth his weight in gold, for the kinds of conditions where chiropractic treatment is appropriate. If you are a good candidate for this kind of treatment, It likely will take a series of visits over time. This also isn’t a magic pill that suddenly makes all of your ills disappear. But it could help you and help your body get realigned so that the pain eventually diminishes or even goes away altogether.
 
It’s interesting how chiropractors (and osteopaths) are viewed differently in the US and UK. Over here it’s viewed as alternative therapy especially after Simon Singh’s High Court brush with the British Chiropractic's Association.

It’s sometimes said that the only thing you’ll get out of a chiropractor is another appointment!
 
It’s interesting how chiropractors (and osteopaths) are viewed differently in the US and UK. Over here it’s viewed as alternative therapy especially after Simon Singh’s High Court brush with the British Chiropractic's Association.

It’s sometimes said that the only thing you’ll get out of a chiropractor is another appointment!
It is a mixed bag. There are charlatans in the bunch, but excellent practitioners as well. I have definitely benefited from their treatment at times in my life. That is why I point out the downside, so someone new to the therapy will be alert to it. If their first encounter with chiropractic is with one of the charlatans, and that scares them off, they may assume it is all like that and may then miss out on a therapy that could benefit their situation.
 
Back
Top