Dim mak of death - pressure points when fighting

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Probably one for the pressure point group but I wanted a more open/un-biased response also:
Have any of you in actual fighting (I'm not talking kata or sparring but full on fighting, be it contact competition or otherwise) ever experienced a successful attack/hit etc from a pressure point practitioner?
I don't mean necessarily just a nerve pinch/grip etc or a carotid artery/jugular vein lock common in grappling/submission fighting but actual pressure point hits that have resulted in black-outs etc.

I have never fought one of these so-called practitioners and although I try to train and fight with an open mind am not sure on their capabilities using pressure point attacks while in a full on fight against a skilled fighter. My sensei told me he fought a chinese practitioner when he was touring asia but he never experienced any pressure hits as he broke the guy's rib with a side kick that ended the fight. In my old dojo we also had this chinese woman visit that pressed our head sensie in I 3 separate areas in quick succession and he momentarily passed out but again, not sure if this could be pulled off against an aware or unwilling partner/opponent??

I would therefore be interested in any experience or comments on this.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Grandmaster George Dillman knocked someone out with a punch in a demo..At a seminar I had the chance to be his Uke for a technique, I swear my whole arm went numb from a light tap...I just realized that this post is no help..Sorry...

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
Probably one for the pressure point group but I wanted a more open/un-biased response also:
Have any of you in actual fighting (I'm not talking kata or sparring but full on fighting, be it contact competition or otherwise) ever experienced a successful attack/hit etc from a pressure point practitioner?
I don't mean necessarily just a nerve pinch/grip etc or a carotid artery/jugular vein lock common in grappling/submission fighting but actual pressure point hits that have resulted in black-outs etc.

I have never fought one of these so-called practitioners and although I try to train and fight with an open mind am not sure on their capabilities using pressure point attacks while in a full on fight against a skilled fighter. My sensei told me he fought a chinese practitioner when he was touring asia but he never experienced any pressure hits as he broke the guy's rib with a side kick that ended the fight. In my old dojo we also had this chinese woman visit that pressed our head sensie in I 3 separate areas in quick succession and he momentarily passed out but again, not sure if this could be pulled off against an aware or unwilling partner/opponent??

nope I have not, but there are some pressure points that do work. major nurves and such that are good attacks.. the vagus nerve in the neck, solor plexes, and well "dim mak" means as far as I know 'Vital points' as in leathal points. I am sure you can figure out what they are at least most of them!

jonbey

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
He thing about dim mak /pressure points / vital points etc. is that you go for them when they are available. Against another skilled fighter that is defending well, this will always be difficult. But as mentioned above, there are many vital points, and some of these are very easy to hit, i.e. neck, groin, but they are out of bounds in contest fights.

Another thing worth mentioning about dim mak is that it is made more difficult when people are wearing thick coats and the like, which means if you get into a fight on the street on a cold night, then you have to throw all that knowledge away and just go for the good old knock out punches etc.

It should be mentioned that a good "dim mak" practitioner does not rely only on dim mak, it just forms a part of their skill set, and it is never relied upon. But, if the point is open for attack, they know where to hit.

seninoniwashi

Green Belt
Reaction score

In EP Kenpo, in the beginning techniques there's alot of fixation on the radial nerve; I've been hit there a few times to where I couldn't close my hand for a few minutes. Another famous kenpo target is the brachial plexus which I've been hit hard to almost black out - I had to fight consciousness. I had a friend who was deep into Chin Na and he would tell me stories of his teacher slowing down peoples hearts and dropping them into unconsciousness by poking them with his finger. I have never seen this first hand, when me and my buddy would spare none of his such techniques would work, he would tell me my adrenaline was to high.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No the only time I have witness anything like it is at a seminar and it was not actual fighting. Great question though.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
no i have not been hit by one however i have hit pressure points on people in real life> nothing that was intended to hurt forever but simple little shots that have hurt for a moment and got the point across. Have I done it often NO but once or twice I have been successful in intercepting a hand/arm that was coming my way and was able to stop it effectively enough so that the person on the other end thought about what happened. it is like anything else we do as a martial arts student, if you do the move enough it becomes a reflex and your chance of hitting the mark increases

loyalonehk

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Dont know if this helps but...

If you look for it and know what to look for, you see it all the time.

I like to watch UFC knockouts highlites, boxing highlites and the like.

Most common knock out points you see are: ST6 (One of the Dillman group favorites), TW 17, TW 23, GB 1, GB 20's, CV 23. and the list can go on. These are not so much "Lethal" but they are great for KO's and if add that to the idea of (what you could do once the guy is out cold). Hmmm. It's just part of the package.

GM Dillman's student, Master Mark Gerry, told me that at one time Dillman actually taught ALI (ST6). Makes you think. ???

Look at your PPT charts TCM, or Trigger points (Western medicine) and then notice exactly where the opponent was struck for the final shot causing the KO. Well, theres my nickle on the thread.

Again, dont know if this helps to contirbute to your search for answeres...

I respect you desire to find the answeres. Your not alone.

Dean

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dont know if this helps but...

If you look for it and know what to look for, you see it all the time.

I like to watch UFC knockouts highlites, boxing highlites and the like.

Most common knock out points you see are: ST6 (One of the Dillman group favorites), TW 17, TW 23, GB 1, GB 20's, CV 23. and the list can go on. These are not so much "Lethal" but they are great for KO's and if add that to the idea of (what you could do once the guy is out cold). Hmmm. It's just part of the package.

GM Dillman's student, Master Mark Gerry, told me that at one time Dillman actually taught ALI (ST6). Makes you think. ???

Look at your PPT charts TCM, or Trigger points (Western medicine) and then notice exactly where the opponent was struck for the final shot causing the KO. Well, theres my nickle on the thread.

Again, dont know if this helps to contirbute to your search for answeres...

I respect you desire to find the answeres. Your not alone.

Dean

well Ali would not have been looking at using a lot things becouse the gloves and hand wraps and rules of a sport bout make things dificult. but old line pugilism used KO points.. that is why the all had coliflower ears and their two front teeth missing... punching the point of the chin was not really a good choice with a bare hand .. it is now sport boxings bread and butter KO point. there are a lot of places that you can strike or grab that can couse a lot of pain from pressure on nurves, also locks that do similer things. they can work pretty well depending on the situation. it is a tool in your tool box.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
He thing about dim mak /pressure points / vital points etc. is that you go for them when they are available. Against another skilled fighter that is defending well, this will always be difficult. But as mentioned above, there are many vital points, and some of these are very easy to hit, i.e. neck, groin, but they are out of bounds in contest fights.

Another thing worth mentioning about dim mak is that it is made more difficult when people are wearing thick coats and the like, which means if you get into a fight on the street on a cold night, then you have to throw all that knowledge away and just go for the good old knock out punches etc.

It should be mentioned that a good "dim mak" practitioner does not rely only on dim mak, it just forms a part of their skill set, and it is never relied upon. But, if the point is open for attack, they know where to hit.

I guess that depends on if you are looking for a pain point on say an arm or something where a heavy coat sleave will make it almost imposible to do.. or if you are in a situation where your life is at stake and any thought of fair play or just knock him out is no longer nessesarily aplicable. but I have to agree pressure points and things are part of the skill set and not an end all be all..

OP
Zero

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dear All

Thanks for your comments/responses to this query, which have been helpful and of interest to me.

FieldDiscipline

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

I had heard this too, sadly I cant remember where, but if I remember correctly and you look at some of his fights you can see him hit two of the points on the same channel and put the guy to sleep.

Gallbladder rings a bell, but I know next to nothing about this stuff so I may be wrong.

howard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Look at your PPT charts TCM, or Trigger points (Western medicine)...
Trigger points are something very different from accupuncture points.

(Myofascial) trigger points are chronic spasms in the middle of the length of muscles. They are an abnormal condition that cause a very nasty phenomenon called "referred pain", in which they create pain at a site away from their actual location in the body. Western MDs frequently misdiagnose them (I experienced this myself).

I suffered from them in the adductor and gluteus muscles for quite some time, until I found a well-informed chiropractor, who correctly diagnosed them and successfully treated me with ultrasound.

Here's a link to an inexpensive but very good book about trigger points if you're interested.

http://www.amazon.com/Trigger-Point...7850426?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1188841788&sr=1-1

loyalonehk

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Trigger points are something very different from accupuncture points.

(Myofascial) trigger points are chronic spasms in the middle of the length of muscles. They are an abnormal condition that cause a very nasty phenomenon called "referred pain", in which they create pain at a site away from their actual location in the body. Western MDs frequently misdiagnose them (I experienced this myself).

I suffered from them in the adductor and gluteus muscles for quite some time, until I found a well-informed chiropractor, who correctly diagnosed them and successfully treated me with ultrasound.

Here's a link to an inexpensive but very good book about trigger points if you're interested.

http://www.amazon.com/Trigger-Point...7850426?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1188841788&sr=1-1

Thank you. I am new to Trigger points being that I have just entered the Physical Therapy field (OJT). But I did see a some similarity to TCM PPt's (mainly general location in some cases at first glance).

When I think of PPt's I try to look at all related aspects as well. (ie PP't striking, Seizing Muscle/tendons, Nerve strikes, etc.) Trigger points just seemed to possibly fall into this general catagory for study and research in a Martial as well as healing aspect. I suppose each of these area could have their own thread.

I will look into your recomendation.

Dean
(always the student first) :ultracool
Enjoy your Labor day

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have seen many done at a reasonably paced attack but the attack was also predetermined and there was still instructor student respect so the attack wasn't full on. I doubt any pressure point practitioner would risk their reputation on allowing someone to throw anything, full speed with no regard to the instructor. I have heard stories from many high ranking pp practitioners but strangely enough no one could confirm their stories.

Cheers
Sam:asian:

howard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hi Dean, you're welcome. Hope that info helped.

Since you mention physical therapy, I'll tell you this... about the only people around who successfully diagnose and treat myofascial trigger points are well-informed chiropractors like mine, and massage therapists. It's interesting that I've never heard of anybody being referred to a physical therapist for treatment of trigger points, since I can't think of any reason why a qualified PT would not be able to treat them with massage.

Regarding using PPTs in fighting, in our style of Hapkido, we use them quite a bit, but not in a "dim mak" sense. We typically attack them by digging into them with our fingertips. Most of the ones we use are nerve points, I think, although some are exactly where certain important PPTs are (like GB21, Stomach 9 and Colon 8 - 10). We also attack lots of them on the face.

Our approach to PPTs is pretty down-to-earth. We're not looking for knockouts, we're aiming to cause a kind of "shudder" in the attacker that will render him vulnerable for a fraction of a second. That fraction of a second is supposed to give us the window we need to execute a defensive technique.

runnerninja

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
When talking about pressure points everybody seems to give them a number/letter or both(e.g. like GB21, Stomach 9 and Colon 8 - 10). Is there any website which will show where each pressure point is and what the code is? It would really help me to keep up with some of the posts on these boards.

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
When talking about pressure points everybody seems to give them a number/letter or both(e.g. like GB21, Stomach 9 and Colon 8 - 10). Is there any website which will show where each pressure point is and what the code is? It would really help me to keep up with some of the posts on these boards.

Go to www.kyusho.com and you will find such info there. Their forum will be informative for you too

Cheers
Sam:asian:

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
Another favorite of mine is: www.yinyanghouse.com

Cheers
Dean:wink1:

please remember that some points will very from person to person and some will be in the same place with in a very very small variation. Leathal points are of course something that do not variate... but others may...

Latest Discussions