Playground "Death Move" Conspiracies

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I received flashbacks of kids discussing the spooky, edgy "death moves" they learned from YouTube or their hormonal cousins who learned it from YouTube. "Chinese death grab," "Korean death grab," you name it. Of course no of them are remotely true — no, you won't penetrate somebody's sternum and "feel their jelly insides" by pressuring it with your thumb, and you won't Vulcan nerve pinch your way through an unsuspecting dude.
None of them did any martial arts and simply claimed they knew these moves to be edgy and tacticool. I'm sure somebody reading got into similar discussions.
Disturbingly there are still people who believe the mystical dim mak or other pressure point instant knockouts, are real. I regard them on the same level as flat Earth theorists, expect these people's arguments for why instant knockouts and death moves are real are even more incredible than flat Earth evidence.

Ahh, MA normie-hood was bliss.

Anyway, fun thought.

Maybe you haven't experienced them yet. Probably due to a young age. Have you never heard of the "quart of blood technique"?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Maybe you haven't experienced them yet. Probably due to a young age. Have you never heard of the "quart of blood technique"?

I tell people "I'm a karate man. Karate man bruise on the inside, but you wouldn't know that 'cause you're a big Barry White lookin' MFer" but they usually don't have a clue what I'm talking about. Too many blank stares. Until now.

OP
KangTsai

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yep, there are really people who train their finger tips to penetrate flesh, and it isn't hard. My friend, growing up, was a trained pianist. His hands were like tools of death. You wanted no part of his Vulcan death grip. :)
I saw on a clip of "Fight Science" when they recycled the taekwondo practitioner who appeared for another episode, to represent tiger kung fu. They were doing mundane tests like bringing in a real tiger to compare 'tiger claw' strength and stuff. At the end though, he performed a 'tiger throat rip' on a gel dummy, when he pulled its trachea out of its throat. I do actually believe the guy's fingers were really hard and all, but I seriously question how weak the fake flesh on the dummy was.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is actually similar to an injury in a famous case study used in psychology to understand the brain and personality. I've forgotten the victim's name, but he was a railroad supervisor, as I recall.
Phineas Gage. It basically proved (supported the idea) that different parts of the brain control personality/memory/vital functions, and depending on what is punctured/destroyed, there could be entirely different results. The entire theory behind lobotomies. To me, it suggests that if there is something behind the nosebones that is essential, it could very well kill you. I've never cared enough to see what part of the brain would be hit by that "Through the nose" strike though.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Phineas Gage. It basically proved (supported the idea) that different parts of the brain control personality/memory/vital functions, and depending on what is punctured/destroyed, there could be entirely different results. The entire theory behind lobotomies. To me, it suggests that if there is something behind the nosebones that is essential, it could very well kill you. I've never cared enough to see what part of the brain would be hit by that "Through the nose" strike though.
That's the one! I re-read some of the information on Gage just a couple of months ago. A remarkable case, though certainly not unique, anymore.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, and off the top of my head, I'd think it would be the area to do with judgement and future consequences (prefrontal cortex).

That's entirely from memory, and I've had no need for that detail in 20 years or so, so it could have to do with growing toenails, instead.:oops:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's the one! I re-read some of the information on Gage just a couple of months ago. A remarkable case, though certainly not unique, anymore.
It was apparently very enlightening at the time though, and still used to teach newer psych students. That's the reason I remember the name, was going over the case with my cousin (a freshman in college) last week.

As for the area, the prefrontal cortex is what it would be, but the brain as a whole is higher than the nose. Depending on the angle you go on, it might hit the temporal lobe from underneath, which could theoretically shake it up enough to damage the other areas. I can't think of a way to know for sure without experimentation though, and I have no inclination to do that experiment.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Two words: sinus cavity

Have a look at some side profile MRI scans or X ray images. There's not much there to hit. The brain is quite a bit higher in most people.

Surely if a palm heel could achieve such a result, an uppercut or front kick could achieve the same. We'd have strikers dropping like flies.

The fact that such myths continue to propagate says a lot about the average joe's investigative ability and confirmation bias.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two words: sinus cavity

Have a look at some side profile MRI scans or X ray images. There's not much there to hit. The brain is quite a bit higher in most people.

Surely if a palm heel could achieve such a result, an uppercut or front kick could achieve the same. We'd have strikers dropping like flies.

The fact that such myths continue to propagate says a lot about the average joe's investigative ability and confirmation bias.
The sinus cavity is there, true enough. The cartilage is probably long enough to theoretically span that cavity. Unless it's driven by tornado winds, it's probably not strong enough to sustain the strike and penetrate much of anything, though. Which is likely why we don't have a bunch of dead boxers and MMA fighters.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The cartilage is probably long enough to theoretically span that cavity.

Ah the infamous 'nose bone'! Did none of the people who think it's a bone never wonder why skulls don't have noses? :cool:

OP
KangTsai

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ah the infamous 'nose bone'! Did none of the people who think it's a bone never wonder why skulls don't have noses? :cool:
Imagine a broken nose, actually meaning tiny, shattered pieces of bone inside you instead of some snapped cartilage.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of the slightly more intelligent suggest that cartilage

Imagine a broken nose, actually meaning tiny, shattered pieces of bone inside you instead of some snapped cartilage.
If it's a broken nose, where did the bits of bone come from? And how the heck did they get past the sinus cavity?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The theory of the nose going into your brain has some merit on paper. The theory is by pushing upward with significant force, the cartilage will push the ethmoid bone (part of the skull) into the brain. The ethmoid bone has ridges on top of it, and one in the middle that protrudes up higher than the rest (the crista gali).

My college anatomy & physiology teacher taught us it was this bone and part of the bone that gets forced into the brain, resulting in the death blow. She was pretty insistent that it works, so I backed off. She was definitely the type that would have graded far more critically if a student challenged her superior knowledge.

I was going to ask her (but refrained) if there were any documented cases of someone dying from it. She was a former chiropractor and all about scientific research and all. I'm quite sure if someone actually died from it, we'd know about it.

Latest Discussions