Nailing the coffin of dim mak once and for all.

H

Humble artist

I have been offline for a while and did just check out the thread on "armpit-".While various ppl may feel this subject has been chewed to death (I have witnessed these death touch threads)
I think it is always good to have things settled down for good so nothing gets passed on and pondered on.
If you are concerned about something,I encourage you to go ahead and speak out.
Some things to consider about this issue/myth:
What is "dim mak"? Death touch.
What is death touch in plain language? Manipulation of vital points.
What are vital points? Anatomically vulnerable structures of human body,namely "pressure points" in this case.
What are pressure points? In death touch,pressure points are/can be based upon acupressure/puncture points found in oriental/Chinese medical system.
Is there a difference between acupuncture -and pressure points? Not necessarily,you can refer to both of these.It may be more natural to refer to pressure (or nerve) points in martial arts enviroment.
What do these points do? In related medical system,these points are believed to be linked to various meridians/energy channels of human body trough which life bringing vital energy moves trough.This energy can be affected trough these specific points.
Does this theory find support from modern medicine/science? Not really.Physiological basis is rather low.It should be considered though that some neuroscientifical/medical analysis has shown that these points believed to be linked to meridians and energy can be actually linked to areas of connection by neural (nervous) connections.
Is there more to these points or other points? It is worthy to notice that acupoints of oriental theory recognized as points for death touch can actually be also found reliable in modern medicine and explained by reliable terms.
How often this is the case? Hard to say,probably in various instances AS LONG as there is real physiological basis for such (in this case,we are going beyond written anecdotes to objective understanding)
Can you explain in some more detail?
Yes.While it has been noticed that if we take all texts into account it becomes hard to track down places from human body for which there is no point.You can notice an energy related explanation of how a certain point causes effects,you may take some time to find out whether this point is actually related to vulnerable nerve,artery etc. for which there was very little understanding in the old days (please consider that it took some time for somewhat correct physiology of blood circulation to be accepted at 1600´s)
Are you saying this is a myth?
Not necessarily a myth,just exaggerated with strange lining.
Is this for real?
Refer to the answer for "How often this is the case?".

:asian:

OP
C

chufeng

Is this for real?

How often this is the case? Hard to say,probably in various instances AS LONG as there is real physiological basis for such (in this case,we are going beyond written anecdotes to objective understanding)

You didn't nail the coffin shut; you opened the idea up for more questions...how is your answer the final say?

AS LONG as there is real physiological basis for such

So, you're saying there's nothing to the energy theory?

chufeng

DAC..florida

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Humble artist
I have been offline for a while and did just check out the thread on "armpit-".While various ppl may feel this subject has been chewed to death (I have witnessed these death touch threads)
I think it is always good to have things settled down for good so nothing gets passed on and pondered on.
If you are concerned about something,I encourage you to go ahead and speak out.
Some things to consider about this issue/myth:
What is "dim mak"? Death touch.
What is death touch in plain language? Manipulation of vital points.
What are vital points? Anatomically vulnerable structures of human body,namely "pressure points" in this case.
What are pressure points? In death touch,pressure points are/can be based upon acupressure/puncture points found in oriental/Chinese medical system.
Is there a difference between acupuncture -and pressure points? Not necessarily,you can refer to both of these.It may be more natural to refer to pressure (or nerve) points in martial arts enviroment.
What do these points do? In related medical system,these points are believed to be linked to various meridians/energy channels of human body trough which life bringing vital energy moves trough.This energy can be affected trough these specific points.
Does this theory find support from modern medicine/science? Not really.Physiological basis is rather low.It should be considered though that some neuroscientifical/medical analysis has shown that these points believed to be linked to meridians and energy can be actually linked to areas of connection by neural (nervous) connections.
Is there more to these points or other points? It is worthy to notice that acupoints of oriental theory recognized as points for death touch can actually be also found reliable in modern medicine and explained by reliable terms.
Can you explain in some more detail?
Yes.While it has been noticed that if we take all texts into account it becomes hard to track down places from human body for which there is no point.You can notice an energy related explanation of how a certain point causes effects,you may take some time to find out whether this point is actually related to vulnerable nerve,artery etc. for which there was very little understanding in the old days (please consider that it took some time for somewhat correct physiology of blood circulation to be accepted at 1600´s)
Are you saying this is a myth?
Not necessarily a myth,just exaggerated with strange lining.
Is this for real?

Humble excellent info...
check out this site www.goldenlion.com.au

OP
H

Humble artist

Thanks for the site DAC.
Unfortunately it does not offer anything that I´m not aware of,I´ve taken my time reading this stuff pretty much.

"You didn't nail the coffin shut; you opened the idea up for more questions...how is your answer the final say?"

To nail it shut,practically to clean the clouded sky for whatever there was to clean for whoever was/is my purpose.
Now I would answer to you but another one of us has something to get concerned about when it comes to english,I do not understand too well.
:eek:

"So, you're saying there's nothing to the energy theory?"
I have come to learn that discussing these in detail may lead to slightly longer posts and some arguments.
I´ll just say that it is not my case.
While the point is mostly to point out that this "tap on the back by a skinny man and out you are" illusion that may be bought in cases should be cleared with education. :)

Thank you both for writing.

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Actually, they are different. This is a common mistake made by "Cyber Sensei" or people that have learned just enough about the subject to “sound” as if they know something but have not had proper training in either acupuncture or martial arts related pressure points.

Acupuncture points are small and sometimes rather difficult to find while pressure points used in martial arts can be about as big as your fist depending on the place.
Not to mention the purpose of the two are entirely different.

OP
H

Humble artist

"Actually, they are different. This is a common mistake made by "Cyber Sensei" or people that have learned just enough about the subject to “sound” as if they know something but have not had proper training in either acupuncture or martial arts related pressure points."

It says "not necessarily".Since the points used are the exact same ones in many cases,if they were not,it would not be dim mak in Chinese sense anymore.
It is possible to make a difference but the point was that these are mainly of different verbal expression,acupoints can interestingly enough be found to be linked to nervous system that nobody understood those days,thus the "nerve points" which may or may not relate as one expression.

"Acupuncture points are small and sometimes rather difficult to find while pressure points used in martial arts can be about as big as your fist depending on the place.
Not to mention the purpose of the two are entirely different."

Acupoints are just as related to harming as healing,while healing as needle treatment is commonly known so the "energy" can be distracted or balanced,pretty basic.
Pressure points you relate to (seems like another verbal confusion case) can be,as said,just about the same but it seems that your understanding relates to vital areas/parts like say,wrist or eye or solar plexus as one excellent example.
You are not to blame,just a different idea unless one is to be exact.

Johnathan Napalm

Black Belt
Reaction score
Allow me to interject here. The "maks" are NOT the pressure points commonly known to most. These "maks" need to be striken with such a heavy strike force that it would cause blunt force trauma no matter where on the body you hit it with. (You need to train your fingers using the IronHand training methods.) Without such conditioning, you cannot just strike these "maks" and have the desired effect. With pressure points, most people can strike them with effect. That alone would tell you these AIN'T your normal pressure points.

BTW, Dim Mak is a Cantonese term, not a Mandarin term. For most Chinese who do not know the dialect Cantonese, they would not know what the heck you are talking about.

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Acupoints are just as related to harming as healing,while healing as needle treatment is commonly known so the "energy" can be distracted or balanced,pretty basic.
Pressure points you relate to (seems like another verbal confusion case) can be,as said,just about the same but it seems that your understanding relates to vital areas/parts like say,wrist or eye or solar plexus as one excellent example.
You are not to blame,just a different idea unless one is to be exact.

Just for the record I am licensed in TCM here in Japan, I have also studied at the Beijing School of Medicine.

OP
H

Humble artist

"Just for the record I am licensed in TCM here in Japan, I have also studied at the Beijing School of Medicine."
Good for you if you are into that type of stuff.

"BTW, Dim Mak is a Cantonese term, not a Mandarin term. For most Chinese who do not know the dialect Cantonese, they would not know what the heck you are talking about."
Yeah.I speak very little cantonese and some more mandarin.

"Allow me to interject here. The "maks" are NOT the pressure points commonly known to most. These "maks" need to be striken with such a heavy strike force that it would cause blunt force trauma no matter where on the body you hit it with. (You need to train your fingers using the IronHand training methods.) Without such conditioning, you cannot just strike these "maks" and have the desired effect. With pressure points, most people can strike them with effect. That alone would tell you these AIN'T your normal pressure points."
Of course conditioning and above all,proper technique is necessary to "launch" effectively but besides that I´m not following.

Latest Discussions