Reaction score
[yt]xzOMYrtNWRI[/yt]

Morio Higaonna - Goju ryu
Shinryu Gushi - Uechi ryu
Two Chinese White Crane masters from Fujian province

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
The uechi ryu and chinese versions are performed a lot faster than the Goju ryu version. You can also see more of the Chinese style in Uechi ryu than Goju ryu. I use the goju ryu version. It is interesting to see the different variations.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
great clips. What do you suppose the common teaching thread is for this form. There is a big variation in how they are done yet this is an important form in many styles. What is the student to gain and learn from sanchin?

respectfully,
Marlon

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
[yt]xzOMYrtNWRI[/yt]

Morio Higaonna - Goju ryu
Shinryu Gushi - Uechi ryu
Two Chinese White Crane masters from Fujian province
very wide variation in the way the kata is done it seems.
we do the shorei ryu version of the kata. there are some very slight diferences. but done slow with tension like the goju ryu version.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The tension and focus can be seen in all of those in the viedo
This is a great clip thanks

gnrail

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Very interesting since the version we do is different again. If I am not mistaken the Goju version pictured here is Okinawan. I study Japanese style Goju (technically Canadian GoJu but Japanese basis) and you can see the different influences that have been incorporated into our version.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
Very interesting since the version we do is different again. If I am not mistaken the Goju version pictured here is Okinawan. I study Japanese style Goju (technically Canadian GoJu but Japanese basis) and you can see the different influences that have been incorporated into our version.

Yep the japanese Goju Ryu is slightly diferent to fit the japanses sensibilitys .. just as shotokan was changed from kobayashi to fit the japanese sensibilitys. So I am not suprised that there is some diferences there.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
great clips. What do you suppose the common teaching thread is for this form. There is a big variation in how they are done yet this is an important form in many styles. What is the student to gain and learn from sanchin?

respectfully,
Marlon
Movement, Structure, Balance and Breath Control is the common thread. The key is not "movements" but movement. Once fully understood this can and should be applied to all Martial Arts.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
i just tried it and it says the video is no longer available when I click on it.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
Same here, and I was looking forward to seeing it!

ya tried to watch it again and it did not work.. by the way I think the japanese Goju was less changed then Funikoshi changed Kobayashi Shorin Ryu to make shotokan to fit the japanese sensibilitys.

Latest Discussions