Playground "Death Move" Conspiracies

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We had something quite bizarre today which proves the stupidity may well kill more people that any mythical strikes. Two British members of the European Parliament belonging to UKIP the party that wants us out of Europe ( please don't ask me to explain why they are MEPs, it's too painful) were in a meeting of other UKIP people. Two of them started to fight, a punch was thrown and the guy punched dropped like a stone bashing his head. He was rushed to hospital after collapsing and suffering two seizures with fears of brain damage ( no comment) but was found not to have a bleed on the brain, just severe concussion ( which may bring it's own problems sooner or later) and is now just under observation.
Two guys arguing and pushing slapping like kids ends up with one of them nearly dying, how stupid can you get.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We had something quite bizarre today which proves the stupidity may well kill more people that any mythical strikes. Two British members of the European Parliament belonging to UKIP the party that wants us out of Europe ( please don't ask me to explain why they are MEPs, it's too painful) were in a meeting of other UKIP people. Two of them started to fight, a punch was thrown and the guy punched dropped like a stone bashing his head. He was rushed to hospital after collapsing and suffering two seizures with fears of brain damage ( no comment) but was found not to have a bleed on the brain, just severe concussion ( which may bring it's own problems sooner or later) and is now just under observation.
Two guys arguing and pushing slapping like kids ends up with one of them nearly dying, how stupid can you get.
So many points of irony. I need more whisky.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So many points of irony. I need more whisky.

There's more... the guy named as hitting him is the party's 'defence spokesman'

We've had two cases in the last few years of incidents like this where I live, usually alcohol involved where one has been hit, gone down hitting their head on the pavement kerb and in the cases we had, died.
I think it's a well touted myth that punching each other 'bar fight style' as you see in films etc is just a bit of fun!

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is a shame. It was a very famous secret city. Everyone knew they didn't know about it.

Always being the odd man out, I had the misfortune to know I didn't know about it. :(

Ive heard of such a place..

Perhaps from a few years ago, isn't that the city portrayed in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon?

Oh wait, stupid of me; nobody knows about it so how can we tell?

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
The theory of the nose going into your brain has some merit on paper. The theory is by pushing upward with significant force, the cartilage will push the ethmoid bone (part of the skull) into the brain. The ethmoid bone has ridges on top of it, and one in the middle that protrudes up higher than the rest (the crista gali).

My college anatomy & physiology teacher taught us it was this bone and part of the bone that gets forced into the brain, resulting in the death blow. She was pretty insistent that it works, so I backed off. She was definitely the type that would have graded far more critically if a student challenged her superior knowledge.

I was going to ask her (but refrained) if there were any documented cases of someone dying from it. She was a former chiropractor and all about scientific research and all. I'm quite sure if someone actually died from it, we'd know about it.

In my opinion, there is so much variation in humans, that there will always be someone who had a soft skull bone, or a brain less susceptible to injury, or nose cartilage more ossified than normal. And as to the brain, it appears that a really fast application of trauma may not cause as much reaction to the brain of every person. Phineus Gage for example.

So could there have been an instance of someone being killed by a blow that drove part of the nose into the brain, but at a slower speed that caused trauma that killed or caused a lot of damage? Or, just a hard blow to the front of the head with coup and counter-coup that killed? I would guess it is possible. I would also guess that the story, if it had some truth, got amplified a lot along the way. And I would doubt that blow could be repeated on a regular basis.

Just my two cents.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In my opinion, there is so much variation in humans, that there will always be someone who had a soft skull bone, or a brain less susceptible to injury, or nose cartilage more ossified than normal. And as to the brain, it appears that a really fast application of trauma may not cause as much reaction to the brain of every person. Phineus Gage for example.

So could there have been an instance of someone being killed by a blow that drove part of the nose into the brain, but at a slower speed that caused trauma that killed or caused a lot of damage? Or, just a hard blow to the front of the head with coup and counter-coup that killed? I would guess it is possible. I would also guess that the story, if it had some truth, got amplified a lot along the way. And I would doubt that blow could be repeated on a regular basis.

Just my two cents.
Well, I'm going to guess that if I smash someone full in the face with a baseball bat, there is a good chance he could die. This is arguably just an amplification of the same thing. But is death caused by driving the nose thru the brain, or caused by the massive head and skull trauma and the bleeding and damage done to the brain from such a massive blow?

Were do we even draw that line, to have such a discussion?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm going to guess that if I smash someone full in the face with a baseball bat, there is a good chance he could die. This is arguably just an amplification of the same thing. But is death caused by driving the nose thru the brain, or caused by the massive head and skull trauma and the bleeding and damage done to the brain from such a massive blow?

Were do we even draw that line, to have such a discussion?
Personally, I draw the line just short of being the guy receiving the baseball bat.

Latest Discussions