Dan rank in another system - your input...

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Yiliquan1,

I wouldn’t hold my breath for any type of answer.

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by Yiliquan1
I don't plan on it.

Gambatte, ne? Against "bogus budo" wari wari wa gambarimasu...

:asian:

...........and "kuchi bushi";)
Shogani na…………..sono “pepe” Soketachi dandan fueteru na.

Ahondara na budoka wa dakidrai

Aegis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Yiliquan1
Perhaps it is only opinion, but it appears that it is an opinion held by at least 3 - 4 people here so far... Sure, we aren't necessarily the majority on this board, but we do seem to be the majority of those on this thread vocalizing an opinion on the subject. Does it change anything? No. Does it prove anything? No again. Does it continue to speak volumes that rather than posting the information requested you continue to tap dance and evade the issue by trying to put those who question you on trial for having the audacity to do so? You bet.

I'd guess at more than 3-4. Some of us just lurk in the shadows of the board, and only peek out every now and then to add a point. Usually this point has next to no significance, but hey, I value my own input too much.

Anyway, just thought I'd add my name to the list of people that would actually like to hear some straight answers out of this discussion. I'm always happy to provide my credentials, and while they might not be anywhere near as impressive as some people's (and certainly not as impressive as some have claimed ;) ), I am still entitled to an opinion as much as the next guy.

Aaaanyway, I'm not feeling too well at the moment, so i hope that makes something resembling sense...

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Zhao Dai Wei
Here is a question for your consideration...

An individual has earned Dan rank in one or more systems. The individual comes in contact with the founder/Head Grandmaster etc of a style or system that differs from the ones he/she has attained Dan rank. The Grandmaster of the differing style/system decides to honor this individual with Dan rank in his [the GM] style/system due to factors such as reputation, achievments, teaching ability, contributions to the Arts etc.

In your opinion, can a Grandmaster do this? Does he have that authority concerning who he considers worthy to issue Dan rank in his style/system. Is the Dan rank legitimate?

I look forward to opinions from everyone. I'll check back in a day or so. Thanks for your considered input.

Stay safe. :)

Okay heres 2 examples of 2 great and very influential American martial artist who received their high rank certificates from an outside organization and I have heard nothing of them testing in the organizations or learning these organizations systems for that matter. A lot feathers are about to be ruffled!

http://www.ohiokajukenbo.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=hist_gen

CN: How well did you know Ed Parker?

EMPERADO: Before he started training with Professor Chow, Ed trained with me for about 2 weeks. While he was with me he took the first 8mm movies of the Palama settlement training. I knew him for many years. At times when I was in California he would have me as his guest of honor at the Long Beach Internationals. After Ed left Hawaii he became estranged from Professor Chow. It was Ed who brought kenpo to mainland America, made it popular, and made so many contributions to the art, so in the late 60s I promoted him to 8th degree black belt.

CN: Kajukenbo has a lot of kung fu elements, did you also train in kung fu?

EMPERADO: Yes, in my 30s I also trained in various forms of kung fu under , Professor Wong, and Professor Lau. It was several years later that these Professors and the Hawaii Chinese Physical Culture Association awarded me the title of Professor, 10th degree. I was also awarded a certificate by Grandmaster Ho Gau of Hong Kong appointing me as an advisor and representative of the "Choy Li Fut" system. This certificate was signed by Grandmaster Ho Gau, Professor Cheuk Tse and the directors of the Hawaii Chinese Physical Culture Association.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting interview, but to me it begs the question: how many of us are Ed Parker? :)

Cthulhu

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cthulhu
Interesting interview, but to me it begs the question: how many of us are Ed Parker? :)

Cthulhu

There are a whole lot of people in MT that are from Ed Parkers lineage.

What it does, is directly dispute what many people in here has been stating to be "legitimate' and what is not and it rehashes the credibility issue of receiving certification from an "Outside Source."

It may be in other parts of the world that they frown on this. But the martial arts have been in America for a long time, so now they are American and this has been done in America.

Just as a citizen comes from one country. They become citizens in another country and live by the standards of their new country.

OP
A

A.R.K.

Not just America but in many others as well. To show some pride in lineage is fine but lineage does not make a student good or bad. A student can have great lineage and fine instructors and not be very good. The reverse can also be said to a degree. The bottom line is ability.

It doesn't matter what an intructor can do, it only matters what the instructor can teach the student to do.

Yiliquan1 if I'm a maytr then its because I was jumped out of the starting gate. If I'm a saint its because I have done my best to be courteous. A foreign concept to some here. I believe you even admitted that I was e-mugged. All because of a word. I founded ZDW plain and simple. It's small, but it works and has some fine people in it. Those with more experience than I call me Soke which to them and me simply means founder. There is no arrogance there, nor was any intended. But some folks have lost their minds over it and have ranted about it for a week now, you included. Doesn't mean a thing and doesn't change a thing.

What I have, I have earned. Your acceptance or disapproval of this is inmaterial. You along with your buddies have leveled quite a few inuendos and alligations at me. So prove them.

Gary, the fact that some of my comments went over your head does not invalidate them. I can not be blamed for your limitations. Same thing goes for you and ryushikan, prove I do not have the credentials that I do. Prove that I have not had the real-world occasions to use them. Prove that my techniques and tactics do not work and that I am a bad instructor.

The burden is on you as you have made the allegations.

But above all...have a nice day :)

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by akja
There are a whole lot of people in MT that are from Ed Parkers lineage.

What it does, is directly dispute what many people in here has been stating to be "legitimate' and what is not and it rehashes the credibility issue of receiving certification from an "Outside Source."

It may be in other parts of the world that they frown on this. But the martial arts have been in America for a long time, so now they are American and this has been done in America.

Just as a citizen comes from one country. They become citizens in another country and live by the standards of their new country.

That wasn't the point. The point was, how many are of Ed Parker's caliber? Or Bruce Lee's? Any old fool can go off and start there own system, though it doesn't mean they should.

Cthulhu

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Not just America but in many others as well. To show some pride in lineage is fine but lineage does not make a student good or bad. A student can have great lineage and fine instructors and not be very good. The reverse can also be said to a degree. The bottom line is ability.

It doesn't matter what an intructor can do, it only matters what the instructor can teach the student to do.

So you teach things you can’t actually do yourself then………..

Those with more experience than I call me Soke which to them and me simply means founder.

Their definition is wrong. Is this your definition:
“the Head of Family of Zhao Dai Wei with the title of Grandmaster-Soke, Judan [10th Dan].”

I know people with more experience and they would call you a bloody joke.

What I have, I have earned. Your acceptance or disapproval of this is inmaterial. You along with your buddies have leveled quite a few inuendos and alligations at me. So prove them.

Those weren’t innuendos and allegations
Answer the questions put forth so many times now I have lost track.
Actually I have 1 more to add to the list:

You claim to be a PhD…..what did you get it in and from which Nationally Accredited University gave it to you?

Gary, the fact that some of my comments went over your head does not invalidate them. I can not be blamed for your limitations. Same thing goes for you and ryushikan, prove I do not have the credentials that I do.
The burden is on you as you have made the allegations.
But above all...have a nice day :)

Your logic works like this:
A:I claim I have $100,000 in my pocket..........prove I don't.

My logic works like this:
A:I claim I have $100,000 in my pocket.
B: OK, prove you do...let's see it.

Nope, the burden is on you…you claim the rank, you prove you have it........…like the saying goes…..put up or shut up.

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by Cthulhu
That wasn't the point. The point was, how many are of Ed Parker's caliber? Or Bruce Lee's? Any old fool can go off and start there own system, though it doesn't mean they should.

Cthulhu

Some people think they are on the same level as them I guess.:rolleyes:

GaryM

Green Belt
Reaction score
[

Gary, the fact that some of my comments went over your head does not invalidate them. I can not be blamed for your limitations. Same thing goes for you and ryushikan, prove I do not have the credentials that I do. [/B]
I just channeled Baktoou, one of the Great Ascended masters of Atlantis and he told me that you can't answer RyuShiKan's questions satisfactorally. Can you prove me wrong?

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by GaryM
I just channeled Baktoou, one of the Great Ascended masters of Atlantis and he told me that you can't answer RyuShiKan's questions satisfactorally. Can you prove me wrong?

Gary,

Baktoou speaks to you too?!;)

OP
A

A.R.K.

So you teach things you can’t actually do yourself then………..

You keep missing out on all the good stuff don't you, keeps going right over the ole melon. Interesting that you can't understand this very basic principle of instruction.

I will attempt to educate you on this. Listen carefully you 'might' learn something. It is not your job to show a student all the wonderful things you can do. It is your job to show a student what they are capable of doing with what you teach them in regard to their body style, strength, height, weight etc. If a student cannot perform something that you can do to whatever factor it is your responsibility to show them something that works that they can do. If you don't do this you are not much of an instructor and are probably in it for the money not the student.

I have a hard time believing this very basic, simple concept of instruction escaped your grasp.

Their definition is wrong.

Could be, but it's used worldwide by alot of people. I don't think your opinion is going to change things much...do you?

I know people with more experience and they would call you a bloody joke.

Perhaps..perhaps not. I know alot of Grandmasters with more experience than the two of us together and they presented my and/or honor me with it. Bottom line...opinions vary.

Oh no, now he's attacking my Ph.D. Guess you have to hop over to that since you can't back up your ranting and raving. Here it is simply put. You mouthed off 10 times between my 2nd and 3rd post. You did not give my a fair opportunity to respond to even your first post. You tried and convicted me without me even having the fair opportunity to address anything. So either you have PROOF of what you claim or you are a blowhard and liar.

Hmmm, I wonder which is the more logical choice. Since you KNOW I'm wrong and you KNEW it without me even saying one word to you....let's see the proof.

Show us ALL I didn't earn an 8th Dan. Show us ALL I didn't earn a 5th Dan. etc etc etc.

Burdens on you baby. You don't need me, I was wrong t you before I said the first word to you.

OP
C

chufeng

Zhao,

Who awarded you the eighth dan? Just curious...
...and where did you earn your PhD? and what is it in?

My rank was awarded by Phillip Starr...
My Master's degree is in Health Science and was awarded by Texas Wesleyan University...

There...I share...you share...
I didn't slap you, kick you, mug you, insult you, or anything...
Just two simple questions...

Thanks in advance for your answers.

chufeng

OP
A

A.R.K.

chufeng,

Alright, you asked fair questions without trying to rip my head off. Thanks.

Brad Barnett. In the 'Half hard/Half soft' style of Pangai-noon with just 3 basic Kata. With the circle blocks and straight blocks. With three basic kicks. Sanchin is still my favorite with the thumb strikes and spearhands. In addition, I have received much training in Chin Na though I hold no 'recognition' for it. I am familar with finger, wrist, elbow, shoulder, neck, waist and leg Chin Na as well as muscle grabbing and cavity press. I did not get into the yin/yang and the meridian portion to heavily as it was just not my thing.

Conditioning was done with exercises such as arm rubbing and arm pounding [both sides and top of forearm] with blocks and strikes [hammerfist]. We kicked each other on the sides of the leg as well as use the poles. We stood in Sanchin 'forever' while the instructor tested us with punches, strikes, kicks and boards.

I never imagined going this high nor was it my original intention. the opportunity briefly presented itself so I took it. Looking back it was a bad idea as this is not my primary focus, nor will it ever again be. Call it temporary vanity if you like...it probably was. I should never have taken that opportunity as it put me in a position that I will not fullfill because of my energy into ZDW. It short changed those under me and let down those above me. And for that I am truly sorry. We all make mistakes and this was one of mine. I figured [incorrectly] that it might lend validation to ZDW in some way. Any jackoff can train for a few years and then hang out a shingle with the 'ultimate fighting art'. I did not wish to go this route. I train mostly LEO off duty and through alot of hard work have established a sound reputation within the community. This is why I have sought out the people I have and asked for their guidance. I mistakenly though [back at that time] that going for the 8th would lend 'more' credibility to ZDW. I now know that paper is not who I am and it didn't matter. We all have to live with our mistakes and if I could do it over I would. But I can't.

The Ph.D. was conferred on me by a royal Saudia Arabian prince through the college of criminology in that country and is registered in the State of Delaware. I can't tell you his name off hand as it is long and although I speak some Arabic I am not fluent...yet. Is it a Harvard degree...no. Is it legite...yes. I did not pay a dime for it. It was confered on me because of my experience and background and the work I have done thus far here in the Academies, through the KYHA as State of Florida Representative and previous education. Why the Arabs? I have strong ties to Israel, Jordan, Saudi, Turkey and Iran. Politics aside, the are fine people and MA's. I also have family that is Arabic. It is in philosophy.

The USADR is the only American organization I have submitted the Pangai-noon to. Dr. Mihails Pupinsh of the International Combat Martial Arts Union International has also recognized it in Europe. KYHA recognizes my 5th alone as I never submitted Pangai-noon to them. The 5th is recorded at Dong Koo Yudo Kwan.

As far as Soke, do you think my intention was to barge in here and insult people with it? Do you think my intention was to piss people off. I can assure you I didn't wake up that morning and say 'hmmm, I'm going to go piss people off on some web site today'. The bulk of my experience has been military, executive protection and LEO [corrections]. It has been hands on. I have spent VERY little time in a dojo, in a Gi, doing kata. Yes I have done it...but the majority of training was how to take down crack heads that felt no pain. [I will not comment on my military service because I CAN'T]. So when I decided to 'officially' name my system and teach under that name I decided to get back into a semi-martial arts feel so to speak. Instead of BDU's we wore Gis. And I decided to look around for an organization to view my training and help me flesh out the ideas I had for ZDW. I found two. Men with twice the years that I have from multiple countries use the title Soke, right or wrong. I didn't have the first clue what it meant. It was explained to me that it simply meant founder. Sounded simple enough to me.

I do have an extensive background in some areas [not a boast, thats just the way my life ended up]. So they addressed me as 'grandmaster'. Looks good on the ole website but I honestly don't use it except for MA coorospondence. I don't use Ph.D. either. It is not who I am. My student's address my as David and they do NOT bow to me. It is against my beliefs and I just don't need it. So to me, Soke means founder becuase that is what I was taught. If it is wrong and means something different in Japan then so be it. I've been wrong before and I'm sure it will happen again. I don't get hung up on it. I don't even wear my BB except for testing students and the occasional photo or seminar...and that's iffy. Paper and cloth don't make me who I am.

That is my life, slam me as you all see fit.

I'm actually a fairly decent guy if you ever gave me half a chance.

Take care.

OP
R

RyuShiKan

You keep missing out on all the good stuff don't you, keeps going right over the ole melon. Interesting that you can't understand this very basic principle of instruction.

I will attempt to educate you on this. Listen carefully you 'might' learn something. It is not your job to show a student all the wonderful things you can do. It is your job to show a student what they are capable of doing with what you teach them in regard to their body style, strength, height, weight etc. If a student cannot perform something that you can do to whatever factor it is your responsibility to show them something that works that they can do. If you don't do this you are not much of an instructor and are probably in it for the money not the student.

Spoken like a true Internet Warrior. How can you teach a path you have never been on. Well I may not be a Soke-doke like you but I can do the things I teach.
Actually I have been thinking of teaching brain surgery……mind you I can’t actually do it but I guess that doesn’t really matter.

Oh no, now he's attacking my Ph.D. Guess you have to hop over to that since you can't back up your ranting and raving.

I am not the one who has to supply the credentials you claim.

Here it is simply put. You mouthed off 10 times between my 2nd and 3rd post. You did not give my a fair opportunity to respond to even your first post. You tried and convicted me without me even having the fair opportunity to address anything. So either you have PROOF of what you claim or you are a blowhard and liar.

More excuses……….

OP
C

chufeng

Thank you...

That wasn't so hard was it?
Disregard my post on another thread asking for the same information...

Slam you?
That was never my intent...you were just so secretive that RED flags went up...
...as I posted in one of the other threads...our organization has had to "convince" certain schools to NOT use our name...why? Because the head instructor was NOT certified to teach and had no school/club license...

chufeng

Latest Discussions