Critical thinking

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In your martial art training is there an area that you feel is your speciality or train in more than other areas?

looking at yourself or your art what weakness/lacking have you overcome and in what way did you balance the time in strengthening those weakness/lacking and working on your speciality or favorite aspect?

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In your martial art training is there an area that you feel is your speciality or train in more than other areas?

looking at yourself or your art what weakness/lacking have you overcome and in what way did you balance the time in strengthening those weakness/lacking and working on your speciality or favorite aspect?

They're actually related. My specialty is the area that I had to work the hardest to overcome.

I'm a big guy, which has it's advantages, and disadvantages in karate. In order to overcome the problem of controlling this much mass, I've studied with small people to try and emulate their movements. In another thread right now there's a discussion about power and muscle. I've learned not to muscle my movements, and use the physics of my body to generate speed more than strength. That is now my specialty.

thesandman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Sparring is definitely my strongest point with forms probably being my weakest. I can do technical accuracy, I can do power and speed, I can't seem to make it LOOK good. That and my butt still sticks out in my back stances even though I really really try not to let it.

OP
J

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
For me weakness I have overcame or work with daily is flexiblity and endurance. First thing in the morning I stretch, Lunch time I stretch, before walk or run I stretch and before bed I stretch. For endurance I do a good amount of cardio.
I feel my strong point is my balance and speed I see that and others have made positive comments on this as well. I spend about 30 mins a day practicing balance in forms and work on my speed by doing daily activities such as sweeping and cleaning for speed.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My weakness over the years is flexibility and I keep working on it daily. But really at my age and wieght how flexible will I get again.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Considering that my base art, which is Kenpo, is not a kicking art, per se, my strong points are my kicks. I also prefer to be in close, where I can work the clinch, knees, elbows, etc.

Ever since I started training, punching has always been an area that I've worked on the most. I'd rather not trade punches, but as I said above, clinch and work close range strikes. What have I done to improve this? I've changed my fighting from the point sparring type to more boxing style. I've worked on a number of things with my inst. in this area, and we've both noticed a big improvement. :)

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My art is Kempo and my weakest points were my kicks and throwing combos with my hands. After working and working and working Ive become pretty good with both especially my hands. My kicks i would say are the most imporved though. I was barely able to get them past my mid section now i can throw them to the head all day long My instructor is even wary of trading punches with and use my other weaknesses against me when we spar.

B

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Learning to be a good person all the time! ...keeps you out of lots of trouble.

Awareness and avoidence.....keys to living longer...NO fighting requirments here....just learning to be smarter....VERBAL and Body languages is important to learn..yours and theres...

Always be honest, trustworthty, unselfish, loyal , and forgiven...is good critical thinking....to remember and DO!

Our weakest is getting into a fight? ..finding out...we are on the losing side...BEST to escape or leave anytime before it begins...

Aloha

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm a JKD man at heart. My base is TKD, but I've trained in other areas. I have never found any art to the perfect art as for self defense. Each person as special abilities (or lack of them) and thus 'one size fit's all' won't.

It's up to the individual to find what tools and tactics fit them and not try to bend over backwards fitting themselves to a rigid set laid down by others.

Deaf

Latest Discussions