Are Martial Arts Sexist?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One has to work with one's bodily limitations. Mr. Hartman's student Jeff Rech is a good example--he is short but has worked to develop techniques that allow him to get inside where short people are frustrating rather than having to stay outside where they're easily tossed around. It's essential to really think about your strengths and weaknesses--all of them--and work with your strengths while trying to improve your weaknesses. DOn't get discouraged!

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Girlychucks

I remember when you you first started posting here and on the kenponet, oyu have to remember you are a beginner still and it is easy for the brown belt to take because he has been where you are standing. Take the lessons that he gives everytime he takes you down, if you look at it closely and ask some questions you will become better at defending yourself. You are going up against a person who will soon be a black belt, that is not a fair fight, in the long run youare the one who is going to win because there is a lesson in every loss. I know there is a lesson in every loss because even though i could beat every person I sparred in my school I went to 27 tournaments before I ever won a trophy for sparring. It discouraged me in the beginning and then it dawned on me to look at how I was being beat. Use a video camera and record your sparring sessions and afterr you get taken down have the brown belt explain how they did it, and have them show you how to do it. The tape will be your record of how to do things and you can pick up a lot of good stuff from watching your self.

So what if Bruce Lee said that a woman could never beat a man in martial arts. It has nothing to do with the way you should be thinking about your training. This won't be popular with any of the Bruce fans but today where are you and where is he. Yes he was wise but he was human with all the frailties like everyone else.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
THeres good advice there. Don't program yourself for failure. If you think you can or think you cant will determine the end result.

Everytime you spar, learn. Better to learn in a safe enviroment than the streets, where a mistake can be fatal. If he's always taking you down from the right side, why? Is your attention focused to the left? are you out of position there? is your guard down?

Try a few sessions only on defence. Ask your partner where you left yourself open.

example: I like spin kicks (im dizzy, go fig :) ) 1 guy I was sparing with got annyed and just wolluped me. I asked him later why? He said in a real fight, I woulda got my *** handed to me because my technique was -very- sloppy. He helped correct my technique -and- gave me some good info on where and when to do a spin kick. Also told me where I did good, and where to improve.

No, you're not gonna go out and beat them the next time, but maybe you lose a little less. And, you keep losing a little less each time, until you win, abet by very little, and gradually, you progress to winning by a long shot. :)

(or, go do what I do to boost the ego, go spar a rugrat. :D )

Point is, keep going, keep learning. You'll get there.

Remember, the journey IS the reward.
:asian:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
1 other point to remember to....

For as good as Bruce was, you must remember, he was only in his 30's when he died. No one knows where he would have been if he was still around, however it is certain his thinking would have matured. Thats not a shot at Bruce, just a fact that as you age, your thinking changes.

In otherwords, he was good, but not perfect.

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz

1 other point to remember to....

For as good as Bruce was, you must remember, he was only in his 30's when he died. No one knows where he would have been if he was still around, however it is certain his thinking would have matured. Thats not a shot at Bruce, just a fact that as you age, your thinking changes.

In otherwords, he was good, but not perfect.

Tank you Kaith for putting it so much more eloquently than I did.

OP
B

Battousai

Originally posted by girlychuks

Even Bruce Lee said that a woman could never beat a man in martial arts. I can accept that.

Don't accept that. A woman can beat a man in martial arts. Because martial arts is not about strength, and what other form of fighting can say that? None. Not boxing, nor wrestling, nor anyother. So in martial arts, above all else, women can beat men.

Latest Discussions