Conditioning

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thats basicly what I need. Some of you may know that I am on a JROTC team called Raider, which like 99% PT. Basicly I'm sick of our team coming in 7th place. I've noticed that when team/athletes all do the same thing as everyone else in the same compition, the team that wins basicly just does it more. Most of our team has other things to do then just go to Raider. Most of the team are also on drill, have a job, in advanced classes, and have a signifigent other. Our schools rivals have a bit of an edge when it comes to training. Most of them are seniors who are also in the Army.

So, does any6one have any conditioning ideas that will help us. Here are the requirements:
1. It needs to develop: the arms (upper and lower), shoulders, grip, chest, abdomenal/oblique, and both fast and slow twitch in the legs.
2. It needs to be cheap. Our spending limit is basicly just what the team can fork over. A team of high schoolers, employed mostly in fast food, paying car bills, gas, and normally cell bills. So, we have a limited budget.
3. It needs to be something that when done three times a week, it will give results.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
How is the competition judged? What do you have to do to win? How much time do you have?

Do you have a coach?

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'll look into Kettlebells/sand bag

Judged based mostly by event. We have to do APFT (2 minutes of push ups, 2 minutes of sit ups, 2 mile run). Push ups/sit ups is based on total number completed in the time frame, the run is based on speed. We also have to do a 10K, agian, speed. And the challenge course, which depends on the host. There are other events, but these are the ones that require alot of physical strength.
Mostly do everything faster/more of it then everyone else.
We have as much time as we need. But, most of the events are based on speed. We do, however have as much time as we like between events.
Yes we have a coach. Problem is, he is also in charge of 5 other teams. And we are the ones who are given a low priority. Why is beyond me.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You've asked this at least 2 times previously; the answer remains the same.

Basic PT is what you need; running, pushups, pull-ups, and running various obstacle courses. Do it consistently, for about 2 hours each time you get together, and you'll get the results. You'll get better & faster results if you push each other, too.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll look into Kettlebells/sand bag

Judged based mostly by event. We have to do APFT (2 minutes of push ups, 2 minutes of sit ups, 2 mile run). Push ups/sit ups is based on total number completed in the time frame, the run is based on speed. We also have to do a 10K, agian, speed. And the challenge course, which depends on the host. There are other events, but these are the ones that require alot of physical strength.
Mostly do everything faster/more of it then everyone else.
We have as much time as we need. But, most of the events are based on speed. We do, however have as much time as we like between events.
Yes we have a coach. Problem is, he is also in charge of 5 other teams. And we are the ones who are given a low priority. Why is beyond me.

I'm in full agreement with jks9199. The best way to prepare for something, is to do the activity that you're going to be tested on, over and over and over. This looks like a standard agility test that you'd see for a PD.

You could start off by getting your body used to the reps. For example: Start with the pushups. Instead of timing yourself right off the bat, start out by doing as many as you can. Keep trying to increase your amount each time. Then start working on the timed ones.

All that said, there are no shortcuts. I'd focus on doing the things as expected for this event. :)

Mike

Darth F.Takeda

Blue Belt
Reaction score
While I agree that you need to spend the most time on the stated tested drills, supplamenting will get you farther along.

I would disagree with doing it for 2 hours, that is a great way to overtrain, especially when you also practice MA.

Most studies, American and more importantly Eastern Block have found that Testosterone peaks after 45 minutes of hard training, doubleing that is not a good thing.

I say this as a trainer as well, those that spend 2 hours in the gym do not tend to get the results in the long run of those hot hit it and get it.
Warm up, 20-40 minutes of going at it hard, 10-15 of assestence work and then 5-10 minute cool down stretching and joint mobility.

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
You've asked this at least 2 times previously; the answer remains the same.

Basic PT is what you need; running, pushups, pull-ups, and running various obstacle courses. Do it consistently, for about 2 hours each time you get together, and you'll get the results. You'll get better & faster results if you push each other, too.

Once actually. The other time was about Raider team, but not about conditioning for it. As for your suggestion, that what we've been doing. Thats what everyone does. Again, when everyone is doing the same thing in a kind of compition, it comes down to who ever does it the most. We cann't do that. We don't have the time. I've been to two Raider challenges. Doing lots of push ups, sit ups, and running laps doesn't come near what we do. I'm trying to find something that will make it so we can train for an eight hour long event, in about three hours a week.

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm in full agreement with jks9199. The best way to prepare for something, is to do the activity that you're going to be tested on, over and over and over. This looks like a standard agility test that you'd see for a PD.

You could start off by getting your body used to the reps. For example: Start with the pushups. Instead of timing yourself right off the bat, start out by doing as many as you can. Keep trying to increase your amount each time. Then start working on the timed ones.

All that said, there are no shortcuts. I'd focus on doing the things as expected for this event. :)

Mike

Again, eight hour long event, we have three hours a WEEK to train. We cann't do the challenge, or anything near it.

So, can no one come up with any conditioning drills that would help?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Again, eight hour long event, we have three hours a WEEK to train.

I'd make the most of your time then. :) These are things that you should be able to do on your own though, no?

We cann't do the challenge, or anything near it.

I'm assuming this is part of the rules or something? You should still be able to do the requirements, such as the pushups, situps, and running, right?

So, can no one come up with any conditioning drills that would help?

I did. When I used to train for PD agility tests, I'd train for the same thing that was expected of me. It was a certain number of situps, pushups, flexability and running. If I had to do 50 pushups in a minute to pass, I'd make sure that I trained for 60-70. That way, come test time, those 50 would be a walk in the park.

Mike

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Maybe he should talk to "Lieutenant X" ... :lfao:

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd make the most of your time then.

Why I'm asking.

I'm assuming this is part of the rules or something? You should still be able to do the requirements, such as the pushups, situps, and running, right?

No, it's more of, 'the whole thing takes 8 hours, and we don't have nearly enough time to do it'. it was to keep anybody from saying "well, why don't you just go through the whole challenge once a week".

I did. When I used to train for PD agility tests, I'd train for the same thing that was expected of me. It was a certain number of situps, pushups, flexability and running. If I had to do 50 pushups in a minute to pass, I'd make sure that I trained for 60-70. That way, come test time, those 50 would be a walk in the park.

You're right. You did. But, the problem is, that goes back to the whole "we have three hours a week to train, and therefore, cann't do the full challenge or anything near it" thing. If it was that easy to train for, I wouldn't be asking. What you're suggesting would take about 9 - 10 hours, and we have 3 - 4 hours. If that.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Why I'm asking.

No, it's more of, 'the whole thing takes 8 hours, and we don't have nearly enough time to do it'. it was to keep anybody from saying "well, why don't you just go through the whole challenge once a week".

You're right. You did. But, the problem is, that goes back to the whole "we have three hours a week to train, and therefore, cann't do the full challenge or anything near it" thing. If it was that easy to train for, I wouldn't be asking. What you're suggesting would take about 9 - 10 hours, and we have 3 - 4 hours. If that.

In another post, you said something about a challenge course. I'm assuming this is like an obstical course, in addition to the pushups, etc.? I'm not suggesting you do everything by the book that you'll be doing at this event. I'm suggesting that you get out on a track and run, as well as the exercises. This should not take more than 1-2 hrs if that. I'll use my black belt test as an example. When I was training for that, I still went to my regular classes, but I also took time on my own to run thru the katas, SD, etc. There was also a running portion, which I did on my own. I figured the actual test would be long, probably figuring at least 4hrs. I didn't set aside 4 hrs each day to run thru a test. This is an endurance test, just like 1st degree black. Work the endurance and the rest should be second nature.

Again, I can only echo jks9199s post.

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
In another post, you said something about a challenge course. I'm assuming this is like an obstical course, in addition to the pushups, etc.? I'm not suggesting you do everything by the book that you'll be doing at this event. I'm suggesting that you get out on a track and run, as well as the exercises. This should not take more than 1-2 hrs if that. I'll use my black belt test as an example. When I was training for that, I still went to my regular classes, but I also took time on my own to run thru the katas, SD, etc. There was also a running portion, which I did on my own. I figured the actual test would be long, probably figuring at least 4hrs. I didn't set aside 4 hrs each day to run thru a test. This is an endurance test, just like 1st degree black. Work the endurance and the rest should be second nature.

Again, I can only echo jks9199s post.

That was me asking about something else that has to do with Raider team. And that was posted in the war college.
Again, thats what we have been doing. I'm looking for something more then just that. Think about Boxers. They do more then just get in the ring and punch each other in training. Alot are developing whole new kinds of training regiments. They're doing things like whacking a truck tire tire with a sledge hammer, dragging a wheel barrow filled with sand bags, and pushing a flat bed truck in neutral. And look at how they are doing. Alot of them are stronger then heck, and work out for 20 - 30 minutes. They also seem to do better then the guys who do the strandard hitting the bag, jumping rope, and lifting weights.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Why do you only have 3-4 hours? If it's that important, then make the time; if it's not important enough to make the time as a group, make the time individually. If it's not important enough to make the time as a group or as individuals... then it's not important. You have school; you have jobs; you have significant others... and you make time for all of those. At some point, either this event will become sufficiently important that you make additional time to train for it - or you will continue to not do as well as you would like.

There is no "magic bullet", no "secret routine", no "10 minute miracle" or whatever you've seen on TV. Conditioning takes time and effort; the best way to condition for a specific activity is to engage in the activity. The next best way to condition for a specific activity is general conditioning exercises, which have been covered sufficiently, in this and other threads. You all go to school; surely, the school facilities must be available to you at some point - the track is open all the time, so running is free, as are situps and pushups; if you feel you need additional weights, they can be made, simply and cheaply - gallon milk jugs full of water are one idea; there are plenty of others all over the place. Nothing says you need hours at a time to exercise; on your break at work, spent 5 minutes doing situps and pushups; during your school lunch, run for 15 minutes instead of sitting in the cafeteria talking to your friends the whole time; jog or bike to and from school and work instead of taking the bus or driving; etc...

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That was me asking about something else that has to do with Raider team. And that was posted in the war college.
Again, thats what we have been doing. I'm looking for something more then just that. Think about Boxers. They do more then just get in the ring and punch each other in training. Alot are developing whole new kinds of training regiments. They're doing things like whacking a truck tire tire with a sledge hammer, dragging a wheel barrow filled with sand bags, and pushing a flat bed truck in neutral. And look at how they are doing. Alot of them are stronger then heck, and work out for 20 - 30 minutes. They also seem to do better then the guys who do the strandard hitting the bag, jumping rope, and lifting weights.

http://www.maxmuscle.com/index.cfm?fa=article&doc_id=536&subcat=performance_conditioning

If someone is doing the things you've mentioned, I've never heard of it, but I'm no expert on boxing either. In any case, I really don't know what else to suggest for you. IMHO, I've always been taught that if you want to get better at something, you need to do that activity over and over. I've been training in the martial arts for a long time now and I havent come across any short cuts. Nothing IMO is going to come without hard work.

Good luck with the training and let us know how the event goes. :)

Mike

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Be advised though, the crossfit stuff, while compact is brutal in its intensity. Take their advice and scale yourself into it.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You know what, man? Everyone is telling you what you need to do ... and you're just not getting it.

Each of you need to train for your strength and endurance individually - separately - on your own time. That means before school? Run the track. Alone, yes. At lunch break, before you eat, knock out some good push-ups, more each time. After school, train with the football team on their agility, strength and endurance drills.

Run, do situps, pullups, squats, obstacle running, hurdles ... whatever you can get your hands on whenever you can do it.

When your group gets together, it should be like a pop quiz - a test to see what you're not training, then emulate that drill. If you have to scale a wall, find a way to simulate that at home or school. If you have to crawl in a certain amount of time, that's easy to simulate.

When drills become too easy, carry some liter bottles of water in a backpack and do it.

Simple stuff, you just need to use your head and move your butt.