cloth pads

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But with everything going electronic why? I guess to use around the dojaang it is ok.

jthomas1600

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I really like the fit and feel of the cloth ones. They're what we use. The only down side for me is I sweat a lot and you can't just spray and wipe them off like you can the vinyl/plastic ones.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
we use the cloth elbow pads, no forearm guards...not that there aren't times when I wish I could have them...

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We use them at my private karate dojo. They offer a moderate amount of padding, yet the fingers are free so you can still grab and such - a necessity since we permit take downs in our sparring. I like them better than the common foam pads, but the foam pads probably offer more cushioning.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've used the cloth shin/insteps since I first started sparring 20+ years ago. They've worked fine for me. I've tried Muay Thai leather & vinyl shin guards, but I always go back to the cloth.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
The cloth pads are fine for beginners-they are generally cheaper and offer adequate protection. The problem is that I can never get the smell out of them! They are harder to put on/take off than velcro-strapped vinyl pads and they don't last as long.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
I had a set of the cloth hand pads and shin/instep pads back in the day, although the fist guards I had didn't have as much padding as the ones in the link you posted. They are good for sparring in the dojang and offer adequate protection for up to moderate contact. Heck, I'd use them in heavy contact if it was permitted but I don't know of any Taekwon-Do style tournaments that permit them (it's either the dipped foam pads for ITF tournaments or the hogu/weird looking fingerless gloves for WTF tournaments now).

IIRC, you could throw them in the washer in the gentle cycle and then the dryer and they held up reasonablly well. Have to use the Macho-type dipped foam now :(

Pax,

Chris

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I had a set of shin/instep cloth pads like the one's in the pic, yes they wera a little dificult to put on and take off but they stayed very good without any movement in my legs, yes if you don't wash them once in a while can get stinky for sure.

Terry maybe I will buy a set of these and prove them again, I really like how thay stick to my legs and the cusionoing is right for me.

Manny

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm getting some cloth shin/instep pads and some MMA gloves. I like to be able to grab during sparring.

Phenix_Rider

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My old school used the cloth shin/instep pads. I like them MUCH better than the ridiculous dipped things I'm forced to wear now. Much better coverage, and they don't have the hateful straps underneath that always break or get twisted. In fact, I don't see why the dipped junk is so popular.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
it cleans easily :)

I find it really gross though when you start so sweat..think putting on a wet bathing suit - YECH

I actually find - at least the plastic handguards, and yeah, the booties, too, don't hold up well.

I mean, I still have the ones I bought 4 years ago, but they are sporting sevral layers of duct tape to keep them together!

Latest Discussions