Close Quarter Knife Throws

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Just to add a tidbit to the conversation, the Kage ryu (who use tremendously huge swords!) have taught their proponents to accurately throw their short sword in order to give them time to draw their long sword since the mid 1600's.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMS, Fairbairn taught the Camp-X recruits to sew razor blades into the bills of their caps. Not sure where he learned it. Probably Shanghai.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Most likely Birmingham. The television series is a drama based on real Victorian gangs.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can give you references for people carrying ground red pepper in their pockets to throw in the faces of attackers and victims. Whether or not you like it, it's happened and was effective.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

And I could give you my opinion of such behavior, but friendliness forbids it.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I heard about a member of the Chinese Martial arts community in San Francisco who would carry glass dust in his shirt pocket, to throw in people’s eyes.

I don’t know if he ever actually did that to someone.

It seems very “pre-meditated” to me. More like he is looking for trouble, or expects to find trouble based on his habitual activities, then out of actual mindful self-defense considerations.

If he found himself being prosecuted, I think he would have a hard time justifying it.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And I could give you my opinion of such behavior, but friendliness forbids it.
It was used successfully. I can give you the reference if you like, but I would prefer to do it privately because I'm using the information for a book that I'm working on.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It was used successfully. I can give you the reference if you like, but I would prefer to do it privately because I'm using the information for a book that I'm working on.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

I don't doubt it was used successfully. My opinion if I were to share it would be of a person who felt compelled to carry around pockets full of ground red pepper, again, for the express purpose of being ready to throw it into the eyes of an attacker, should one hove into view.

I'm sorry. I can't help it, I'm laughing. Are we all 15 years old here?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't doubt it was used successfully. My opinion if I were to share it would be of a person who felt compelled to carry around pockets full of ground red pepper, again, for the express purpose of being ready to throw it into the eyes of an attacker, should one hove into view.

You have yet to explain how doing so differs in any meaningful way from the person who carries a gun, for the express purpose of protection.
Maybe Mr Chili Powder lives someplace where a more effective weapon isn't legal.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know! I'm going to fill my pockets with ball bearings, to scatter in the path of mustache-twirling baddies, so they'll slip and fall when they try to abscond with my valuables. My pants will look like I'm smuggling chipmunks, but that's the price for safety!

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You have yet to explain how doing so differs in any meaningful way from the person who carries a gun, for the express purpose of protection.
Maybe Mr Chili Powder lives someplace where a more effective weapon isn't legal.
What's to explain? It's ludicrous on the face of it. :)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Basically the concept behind pepper spray.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What's to explain? It's ludicrous on the face of it. :)
Because you say so? It's certainly not "ludicrous on the face of it" based on actual use or effectiveness. You just don't like it. That's OK. You don't have to use it or recommend it. But that doesn't mean that it doesn't make sense in someone else' context. We're not all you. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Hmmmmm .... I know a number of individuals, none of whom are 15 by the way, that always carry pepper spray with them. For that matter, many police forces have their officers carry pepper spray. Pepper spray IS the modern version of a pocketful of ground red pepper, so I'm not really sure why you seem so dismissive of it.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wait.....if you carry ground red pepper in your pocket....if you pocket gets wet and it soaks through to your nether regions....

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Wait.....if you carry ground red pepper in your pocket....if you pocket gets wet and it soaks through to your nether regions....
Then it's just like using the urinal after cutting up habanero peppers! (a friend of mine did that, made a great story!)

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmmmmm .... I know a number of individuals, none of whom are 15 by the way, that always carry pepper spray with them. For that matter, many police forces have their officers carry pepper spray. Pepper spray IS the modern version of a pocketful of ground red pepper, so I'm not really sure why you seem so dismissive of it.
If you cannot discern the difference between carrying a can of pepper spray and stuffing your pockets with red pepper, I don't know what else to say.

Somebody took "The Anarchists Cookbook" way too seriously is what.

What's next, throwing shoes? Carrying self defense bullwhips? I know, blow cigarette smoke at them. Second hand smoke is deadly, after all.

Latest Discussions