Close Quarter Knife Throws

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why doesn't the shooter go down, no question? Doesn't the shooter also get hit with over 2,000 ft lbs of energy? Does taking the energy in the shoulder make that much difference?
Newton still wins. If the gun doesn't knock down the shooter it usually won't knock down the shootee. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Found in his heart. He took the full load to the chest. At least 3 (IIMS) went into the heart. He still had enough adrenaline and oxyginated blood to go play hide and seek in the parking lot (the perp was one of two who stuck up a grocery store - Piggly Wiggly, IMS).

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Link or info on this case.

I would be interested in looking at this case. From my experience, I have yet to see someone take a load of buckshot inside 10 yards and continue to be functional.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
no I said it WOUKDNT penetrate ( which only leaves it with option of bouncing off unless it has levitation powers)

Right. So support it. Show us a video of a thrown knife bouncing off your rock hard abs.

you one the other hand said it would penitrate the abdominal wall, that's after changing your mind from saying it wouldn't, so

I never once said a thrown knife wouldn't penetrate the abdomen. Unlike you, I actually have a basis for my views.
I did say a thrown knife was very unlikely to significantly penetrate the HEAD, but it doesn't take a degree in physiology to know the difference between the head and the abdomen.

If there was only several pellets found in him....then he did not take a full load of buckshot in the chest at point blank range.

Not all shotgun shells are birdshot. Some only have "several" pellets in them. There are commercially available shotgun rounds with 3 pellets total. And even the classic 00 buckshot only has like 8 or somesuch.

Why doesn't the shooter go down, no question? Doesn't the shooter also get hit with over 2,000 ft lbs of energy? Does taking the energy in the shoulder make that much difference?

Because physics. The projectile(s) decelerate starting the instant they leave the muzzle. So impact force will always, 100% of the time, be less than recoil. In other words, if the recoil doesn't knock the shooter over, the impact certainly won't knock the target over (assuming we're talking about people - obviously it can knock over a paper target).

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
While there are multiple reliable sources for throwing the tomahawk as part of various forms of combat for tribal indians, this is my favorite reference:

Saint Croix Courier, St. Stephen, NB
April 7, 1892

GLIMPSES OF THE PAST

Contributions to the History of Charlotte County and the Border Towns.

XI – THE LAST FIGHT WITH THE MOHAWKS.

Mr. W. Wallace Brown give [sic] us the incidents of the following story, as told to him by an old Passamaquoddy woman named Mollie LaCoot. Apart from its historic interest, it is worthy of record as showing a degree of magnanimity and self-restraint on the part of hostile savages for which we rarely give them credit.

Before the coming of the English, the chief village of the Passamaquoddy tribe was at Quun-os-quam-cook, now St. Andrews. In a time of peace between the Six Nations and the Wabanaki, a Mohawk chief, named Hawk-u-mah-bis, or Snow-shoe-string, accompanied by his son, came to Quun-os-quam-cook; where they were hospitably received and treated as honored guests.

One day the son of the Mohawk chief and the son of the Passamaquoddy chief, while hunting together, killed a wah-be-ne-monks-wes, or white sable. The boys got into a hot dispute over the possession of the game, as it was considered a great honor to kill such a rare animal; and in the quarrel which arose between them the young Mohawk was killed.

The chief of the Passamaquoddies, according to Indian custom, offered his son to the Mohawk chief, to take the place of the boy who had been killed; but the Mohawk would not be appeased, and left for home determined to return and take revenge.

He would seem to have fallen in with a company of his own people; for, as the tradition says, he had been gone only about ten days when, one morning at daybreak, the Mohawks appeared in large numbers, and the woods rang with their war cry, ‘Coo-way-mitt.’

The Passamaquoddies were greatly alarmed, for many of their best warriors were away hunting; so they sent out a man with the loo-good-we-mede-wegon, or flag of truce, (the use of which they had learned from the whites,) to propose that the matter should be settled by single combat.

‘We should not fight and destroy each other,’ they said; ‘for our nations are both becoming less in numbers each year, and if we keep on fighting thus the whites will soon out-number us.’

So they agreed to select a man from each tribe to fight the battle, each to be armed with a knife and a tomahawk.

The Mohawks chose their chief, who is described as tall and slender; and the Passamaquoddies chose a stout young Indian named Lux.

The fight took place early next morning, in an open field at Quun-os-quam-cook, in the presence of both the tribes.

At a given signal, the Mohawk threw his tomahawk. The Passamaquoddy dodged it, and immediately threw his weapon, but failed to hit his antagonist.

Then, rushing upon each other, they clinched in a struggle for life.

They fell to the ground, the Mohawk on top; but the Passamaquoddy soon got the advantage, and plunged his knife into his enemy’s side, and presently sprang to his feet again, waving the scalp of the Mohawk chief.

The Passamaquoddies were wild with joy, and sang their song of victory; while the Mohawks quietly departed, chanting their death song as they went.

Lux, the Passamaquoddy champion, was a grandfather of the late Captain Lewy, after whom Lewy’s island is named. The age of Capt. Lewy at the time of his death would mark the probable date of the occurrence as about one hundred and fifty years ago.
Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
This is awesome, thank you!

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not all shotgun shells are birdshot. Some only have "several" pellets in them. There are commercially available shotgun rounds with 3 pellets total. And even the classic 00 buckshot only has like 8 or somesuch.

But typically police carry 00 buckshot with 8 pellets and most carry tactical buckshot that has a tighter spread. Again at "pointblank" range you are looking at a shot pattern the size of your fist or smaller.

Because physics. The projectile(s) decelerate starting the instant they leave the muzzle. So impact force will always, 100% of the time, be less than recoil. In other words, if the recoil doesn't knock the shooter over, the impact certainly won't knock the target over (assuming we're talking about people - obviously it can knock over a paper target).

You are also shooting from a shooters stance...braced for the recoil into your shoulder.

Try standing straight with the butt of the 12 gauge loosely against your chest and see if it knocks you down though....;)

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Right. So support it. Show us a video of a thrown knife bouncing off your rock hard abs.

I never once said a thrown knife wouldn't penetrate the abdomen. Unlike you, I actually have a basis for my views.
I did say a thrown knife was very unlikely to significantly penetrate the HEAD, but it doesn't take a degree in physiology to know the difference between the head and the abdomen.

and why do you think I have no basis for my views the fact your an ambulance driver doesn't give you a monopoly on knowlege of human anatomy

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
and why do you think I have no basis for my views the fact your an ambulance driver doesn't give you a monopoly on knowlege of human anatomy

Well, because you think a knife thrown from inches away is going to bounce off a human abdomen. And that is stupid. So it seems that any basis for your views on this subject must come from fantasy novels or Hollywood movies. Certainly not from reality.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Show us a video of a thrown knife bouncing off your rock hard abs.

I will settle just for the rock hard abs...………..

I can seriously recommend Michael Stokes' photos if you want to see the best abs... :jawdrop:

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The thrown weapon is a dirt common staple of melee fighting and always has been, inclusive of military engagements, duels, personal combat, and personal self defense.

Atlat'l, javalins, pilum, thrown darts (the Romans love'd 'em), francisca, throwing clubs (yes, clubs!), chackram, musede, hunga munga, tomahawks (yes, 'hawks), spikes, "stars," shuriken, knives, Kylie, even freaking rocks (sling stones, anyone?).

Anyone claiming that thrown melee weapons have no place, at least historically speaking, is simply being deliberately ignorant.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

They have a place. DELIBERATELY carrying a knife with the express intent to throw it in a self-defense scenario is delusional, stupid, and the person doing it is sick in the head. That's my 2 cents.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
They have a place. DELIBERATELY carrying a knife with the express intent to throw it in a self-defense scenario is delusional, stupid, and the person doing it is sick in the head. That's my 2 cents.

And you don't have to. Plenty of knives throw.

OP
Christopher Adamchek

Christopher Adamchek

Purple Belt
Reaction score

They do have a place.
This isnt about carrying the knife with the express intent to throw it in a self-defense scenario.
And if it was that doesnt make it delusional, stupid, or the person sick in the head.
If proficient it could be a decent strategy (depending on the scenario), similar to deliberately carrying a gun with the express intent to shoot it in a self-defense scenario

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They do have a place.
This isnt about carrying the knife with the express intent to throw it in a self-defense scenario.
And if it was that doesnt make it delusional, stupid, or the person sick in the head.
If proficient it could be a decent strategy (depending on the scenario), similar to deliberately carrying a gun with the express intent to shoot it in a self-defense scenario

Nope. It's delusional, idiotic, immature, dangerous, and indicative of serious mental illness to carry around a knife with the intention of throwing it at someone. Vastly moronic.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@CB Jones and everyone, do look up Stokes, his photos of wounded Veterans are amazing and a huge testament to their courage and strength of character in going from having life changing injuries to posing as stunning models for his photos, it's not just males, there's female Veterans as well.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nope. It's delusional, idiotic, immature, dangerous, and indicative of serious mental illness to carry around a knife with the intention of throwing it at someone. Vastly moronic.

Why? I think it's probably not the best way to protect yourself. But I carry a gun with the intention of shooting someone, if circumstances require it.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why? I think it's probably not the best way to protect yourself. But I carry a gun with the intention of shooting someone, if circumstances require it.

There are no circumstances which require throwing a knife at someone. This discussion reminds me of the one a few years back by the young person who insisted he kept his pockets full of dirt to throw into a bad guy''s eyes. Too many movies.

Last edited:
OP
Christopher Adamchek

Christopher Adamchek

Purple Belt
Reaction score
There are no circumstances which require throwing a knife at someone. This discussion reminds me of the one a few years back by the young person who insisted he kept husband pockets full of dirt to throw into a bad guy''s eyes. Too many movies.

Many circumstances dont require certain types of responses, that doesnt make those responses null and void

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont see how there could be legal ramifications there is no requirement to be within reach to use deadly force. People utilize guns from outside of reach in self defense.
Agreed. I do wonder if - should it reach a jury trial - it would be easier for prosecution to convince a jury when a knife is thrown, by using exactly the approach that was mentioned.

D

Deleted member 39746

There are no circumstances which require throwing a knife at someone. This discussion reminds me of the one a few years back by the young person who insisted he kept his pockets full of dirt to throw into a bad guy''s eyes. Too many movies.

Im sorry every time someone mentions that i think of this and have to share it. Not to degrade the topic but i literally cannot resist.

giphy.gif

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score

Years ago, in another life, I carried a handkerchief.

I practiced throwing it into someone's face as a distraction-even sewed ball bearings into the corners, so it would spread properly.

I had occasion to use it this way, and it worked.

Of course, I was 15 years old......

Latest Discussions