Throwing Knives

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
on the subject, anybody see any of the episodes of 'the osbournes' when ozzy's in back chucking throwing knives at a target? they usually hit flat-side-to and then he'd shuffle up to retrieve them, shaking and cussing and hollering 'sharon!'.

not usually one for reality tv, but that show makes me laugh. remember kids, if you do drugs, try not to do all of them all at once.

[email protected]

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hello Guys,

I've been out of the loop with posting lately due to a home remodel and work issues, but I'm back!

On throwing:

Lot's of good advice here(all the posts) so use it wisely!

Targets
Tree rounds
2 X 4's which are then sheathed by a 2 x 12 (I use this alot)
Styrofoam for light weight indoor throwing
Cardboard for light weight indoor throwing

Distance
No rotation
1/2 rotation
full rotation
as well as further distances

Practice all grips and throws!
Overhand
Underhand
Cross draw
Side throw
Multiple blades to throw in one hand
Alternate right and left hands etc.

Throw all types of projectiles
Blades
Screwdrivers
chopsticks
shurikens
rocks
billy clubs
etc!!!

Here is a link to a sample of me throwing at my school last year go to:
www.Bujinkandojo.net/PMultimedia/Basicprojectiles.wmv

Keep an eye out for a Projectile training manual coming out soon!!

Train Hard it is the Way!
Guro Steve L.

www.Bujinkandojo.net

bshovan

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Nice video and techniques. Privately e-mail me and we'll talk further.

Billy

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, There are a few good books on "How to throw knives".

It is not easy to throw them too? I have three different sizes, but prefer the the largest ones because of the weight and impact when it hits.

Like most of the books says just a couple of thousand times...will lead you into getting better. and a few more couple of thousand times...a bit more.

sounds familiar? ...........Aloha

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
still learning said:
Hello, There are a few good books on "How to throw knives".

It is not easy to throw them too? I have three different sizes, but prefer the the largest ones because of the weight and impact when it hits.

I hate it when the pages flutter open. Just ruins the whole flight path and drops speed quickly.

:roflmao:

Nice one.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It is such a nice day here in VT. I think after work I'm gonna find a nice target and scare the neighbors for a bit. Gotta wonder what they think when I stand out back throwing knives for an hour.

%-}

liuseongsystem

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
well i am no expert but i have spent a fair amount of time training knife throwing in the past.

the point made about the wrist is very important. it has to remain relatively straight or the knife will go off to the side.

lay the knife across your palm at the base of the fingers at an angle. you must hold the knife with only your thumb, the fingers splay and the thumb holds the knife against them.

when you throw the knife, make sure your hand drops down your centerline, and that your center is lined up with target. this gives the basic lay for the throw

when you release the knife, a trick i use is to let go when the back of the hilt is just about to be pointing at the target, in the arc of the throw. distance is usually 5 to 8 feet depending. the knife makes one half rotation. takes a minute to get the hang of it.

be relaxed and dont throw it like a ball, it actually feels more like a shuto or chopping motion.

and someone mentioned the zen aspect and the lack of a need to hit. that is something i found to be very true... wait till you miss like 500 times in a row....lol

thanx.

liuseongsystem

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
i should add that sometimes knife take a funny bounce especially if throw them at something hard. it can and will richocet back at you.

so have a soft target and a backer.

or have quick feet.

Bill Bednarick

Green Belt
Reaction score
I personally like the 14" Cold Steel Pro-Flight throwers, for the money I think they are the best production thrower out right now.
And they are made in the States!

A good target can be made out of 2 by 4s on edge held together with threaded rod on the top and bottom. Then when you tear up a section you can swap the boards around to repair it. I have one made like this for travel.

Truthfully I throw at a 12" round by 6' high maple log set into the ground, and it can be a little hard on the knives if they aren't tough enough.
The good thing about it is you KNOW that the thrown blade has power when you sink it into hardwood.

Brian, I hope to make it to your throwing seminar, so I'll show you these knives then.

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Have any of you guys ever tried throwing "spear style" as in non-rotating?

The knife needs to be weighted more to the back as opposed to the front, or at least it works better like that. I can relatively consistantly stick a target at distances between 0 and 15 feet using this method. No worrying about rotations for how far away you are. Using this method, you can also throw the knife very hard.

If anyone is interested there is a book called "Combat Knife Throwing" by Ralph Thorn that describes the method in detail. Personally I love the book and the method. There is also a video available on the web of him demonstrating. Its really pretty amazing stuff. He can do it at a lot longer distances too. I will see if I can find a link to download it.

Bill Bednarick

Green Belt
Reaction score
I do a non-rotating throw only at very close ranges, and have no idea how Ralph Thorn does those long throws.
I've seen the videos on his site and they are pretty cool.

bujuts

Green Belt
Reaction score
I don't mean to rain on any parades, or cause any disurbance to this good thread. But in terms of actually throwing knives in a (obviously, life threatening) scenario..

Why discharge a perfectly good weapon?

Off topic, yes, but I'm curious as to the reasoning you all steer towards on this one.

Thanks and good day.

Steven Brown
UKF

Bill Bednarick

Green Belt
Reaction score
bujuts,

It's a perfectly valid question, and one that is raised time and time again.
Problem is most people that want to "throw knives for combat" stumble on the answer to it.

Here's my 2 cents on the question.

Most people that seriously train with weapons also train to improvise the weapons they favor for the times when they don't have that favorite weapon.

So if someone trains to knife throw and only has one blade, they may improvise a projectile from any handy object. It could be a screwdriver, coins, a book, coffee and cup, heavy ashtrays, etc.

The other idea I like is IF I have something in my hands that I no longer need to hold, (see the list above) maybe I should throw it in my attackers face to gain an advantage and to free my hands for use.

I know that these kinda skirt the discharge of useful weapons question, but I basically treat knife throwing as a drill to train for throwing other stuff.

Brian VanCise may have some insight on this too.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
bujuts said:
Why discharge a perfectly good weapon?

Because it often gives you the chance to escape?

Because you have more than one?

Fun.

The difference between the knife in the air and the knife in your hand is, of course, distance. Throwing something is certainly safer than letting your attacker get within your reach.

As I said in the second comment in the thread, it's mostly just a distraction and shouldn't be your primary strategy. You might get lucky, but that's about it.

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I throw more as a hobby than anything else, in a real self defence situation, I think I would tend to hold onto the knife.

I do like Ralph Thorn's style though, as you don't have to worry about distance or rotation with it, so theoretically it should be much more useful in combat that traditional circus style throwing. I am no expert at it, and like I said I can't consistantly do it past about 15ft out. But really, if I am going to throw a knife at somebody and plan to for sure hit them, it probably wouldn't be from farther away than that anyway.

The way I see it, its just another option that is better to have than to not have.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bill Bednarick said:
bujuts,

It's a perfectly valid question, and one that is raised time and time again.
Problem is most people that want to "throw knives for combat" stumble on the answer to it.

Here's my 2 cents on the question.

Most people that seriously train with weapons also train to improvise the weapons they favor for the times when they don't have that favorite weapon.

So if someone trains to knife throw and only has one blade, they may improvise a projectile from any handy object. It could be a screwdriver, coins, a book, coffee and cup, heavy ashtrays, etc.

The other idea I like is IF I have something in my hands that I no longer need to hold, (see the list above) maybe I should throw it in my attackers face to gain an advantage and to free my hands for use.

I know that these kinda skirt the discharge of useful weapons question, but I basically treat knife throwing as a drill to train for throwing other stuff.

Brian VanCise may have some insight on this too.

Absolutely being able to throw other object's is just as important. Bill's list above is great. Change, screwdriver, etc. Knowing how to throw tools is always going to be to your advantage. (even if you never need to)

Now, why would I throw something. Simply to get an advantage. Would I throw a knife or other tool if it was the only thing I had to defend myself? Probably not, unless I had no other means to cover the distance and had what I believed to be one shot only. The thing is that people like myself or Bill or other's of similar mindset rarely have just one tool on us. Generally we have multiple tools. So if I throw something, you can be sure that I will have something immediately in my hand and either engage or disengage quickly and in the most efficient manner possible.

Hope that helps.

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com