Can an underweight man realistically protect himself/fight his way out of a situation?

stonewall1350

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Don't know I have never had to shoot someone. Had to martial arts a few guys in my time.

Me either. I've been in 2 situations that I deescalated, but 1 I did not have a gun and I got lucky. The first I was 18 and returning a cell phone to a person who had lost it. I had 3 guys start walking up to me and all I had was a crappy pocket knife. They even started to surround me (I was a very white boy in an area known to very much dislike white boys). A cop rolled up fortunate for me and they skedadled. No doubt I was about to get mugged or worse.

The other I was on a sprained ankle and I got approached when I left a drug store. Kid came up to me asking me about my medicine and eyeing my crutches. I had a hand in my pocket which he saw and asked and I told him not to worry about it (.380acp). He left, but it turns out he was wanted for breaking into a barber shop. He got picked up by a deputy that I called who I had just seen at lunch. The dumbass was caught on camera and was probably trying snatch drugs from people not even 100 yards from the barber shop he broke into like 3 days before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No it is a weird law. You need to be intoxicated. It has a minimum sentence that is more than if I stab someone.
http://www.areanews.com.au/story/2036969/lawyer-questions-new-king-hit-laws/
Mmm! Not quite right.
Under the new laws, minimum and maximum sentences apply to one-punch killers. Also, judges will be required to dole out sentences of between eight and 25 years to perpetrators under the influence of drugs or alcohol and offenders who were not would receive a maximum of 20 years non-parole.
The penalty is higher if you are under the influence of drugs or alcohol but if you are fighting and the guy you are fighting hits his head and is badly injured or worse, you could be holidaying at state expense for some considerable time.
:asian:

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP,
It has always been and always will be "where you hit someone". With this in mind, size makes no difference.

Case in point:
Jogging, bug flies into your eye. Bugs not that BIG, but what a problem it can make. :)

cqbspartan

White Belt
Reaction score
Yes you can...definitely...without a doubt...the question is how you approach the situation...what tactics, strategy, and "tools" do you bring with you...you don't have to be the biggest or strongest to inflict immense pain on your attacker...it all depends on what tool you use to injure your opponent and where you focus the strike on his anatomy...

First of all, you do not want to be grappling with a bigger guy...unless grappling is your specialty and you are very, very proficient...even then, good luck...
Better to find a system that focuses on striking and does not rely on brute strength...

Wing Chun is a perfect example...not based on power or strength...based more on quickness, reflexes, and striking to vital targets...
You may want to study Filipino arts & Indonesian Silat arts as well, as they are not based on strength either...
Studying these systems will make you quicker with striking...

One other option is Tim Larkin's system...his seminars are very expensive but what he teaches is brutally effective...

I have been training in dozens of systems for 40+ years and teaching for almost 30...so I have seen and cross-referenced a lot...
I am currently in south Louisiana and Houston area...if ever in the area, let me know if I can help...

sidekicker 1st

White Belt
Reaction score
I was in an unfortunate position several months ago where I was attacked by someone 2 inches taller and 3.5 stones heavier than me. I was standing at the end of it, he wasn't. Work on the principal we are all made of the same flesh and blood with the same frailties.

Latest Discussions