Britain, do you still think Obama likes you?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Maybe it's the problem that not too many American peple get to see the people of other countries, only (and in bits and pieces) a little about the governments of those countries.

Ramirez

Black Belt
Reaction score
No nothing is being said anywhere.

With some snide remarks on here being made I'd hate to have the rabid, feverish and manic thoughts that seem to colour the right v left debates on here ruin the friendship the Brits and the Americans have by bringing that into our discussions, the OP title is in that vein sadly. Can we keep the sensationalist out of our relationships please and keep it sensible.

Yeah the thread title is a bit bizarre, it is not as if the Brits can vote him out of office......it is kind of pointless trying to get the citizens of Liverpool and Manchester upset at Obama, they probably didn't notice because on the weekend it is all about the Premier League.

Ramirez

Black Belt
Reaction score
Is this the treaty in question here?

Arms Treaty

According to the BBC it was approved by the US senate, the Republicans on the Senate would know about the information given to the Russians, you think they would have been in the press right away about it.

Could be the wikileaks information is just wrong.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
blah blah blah blah blah
while remembering who our friends are.
That last bit:
while remembering who our friends are.
Is EXACTLY what we are talking about. The Obama administration either has forgotten who our friends are, or, never cared. Look at how the Obama administration has interacted with the UK and Israel. Is that how you would treat your friends? If it is, you won't have friends for long, and rightly so.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That last bit: Is EXACTLY what we are talking about. The Obama administration either has forgotten who our friends are, or, never cared. Look at how the Obama administration has interacted with the UK and Israel. Is that how you would treat your friends? If it is, you won't have friends for long, and rightly so.

Well as I said that's the United States of America side of you, the side that has done this many times before, it's not just Obama you know. The American people however don't let us down so we aren't going to dump you are we. :)

Your government, if you don't like the way they deal with things, vote em out. Don't involve us in your politics.

5-0 Kenpo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I can see that sarcasm is lost on you. I shouldn't be surprised.

Look, America has two faces, one is the American people who we all like, we can drink, fight alongside with, shag and generally have a good time with, the other side is the United States of America, the official side, the one the world either hates or is scared of, the side that interferes in other countries affairs, that supports tryrannies because they 'oppose' the commies. We know the difference and we know which side is our friends.

See, here you go again, "who we all like." Who is "we?" What gives you the right to speak up for anyone besides yourself. That was the point of my comment of "as she seems to speak for all of them". You constantly tell us what "the British" think and feel. No, what you tell us is what you feel, and then pawn it off as though every single British subject believes as you do. I could actually understand if you even said that the majority tend not to care, but you make blanket statements regarding the whole of your country.

What's funny is, you actually do the same thing regarding your religion "Jews don't care about non-Jewish beliefs", meanwhile you wax philosophic about how Jews argue about everything within their religion, which might actually include a comparison with other religious beliefs, if only on an intellectual curiosity basis.

And this discussion is not about the individual interpersonal relationships between U.S. citizens and UK subjects. It is about the relationships between our two governments. So that just means that you missed the entire point of the OP to begin with.

The USA, the official side started losing world credibility with the McCarthy witchhunts then Vietnam. Supporting the Shah of Iran and his ilk around the world, arming the Taliban, selling weapons to Iraq, invading Grenada helped drag the USA's reputation down even more. The first Iraq war, then the second and finally Afghanistan has exhausted much of the good will that was left. However Americans have never been regarded the same way as their governments, although that may sound odd but they haven't. More than any other country we seem to disassociate Americans from their leaders.

And this statement gives lie to the fact that "the British don't care about what Americans do." If you didn't, the U.S. would have neither a good nor bad reputation with you. The fact of the matter is that you have to think about the U.S. and take the time to form an opinion about us in order for us to have a reputation with you.

5-0 Kenpo, snide remark there. Am I bovvered? Are you going to put your hand on your heart and swear that American follow everything the Brits do with mouths agape and words of wonder on their tongues? No, didn't think so, you don't care what we do either. the acid words aren't needed.

That's B.S. Once again your logic fails you. Just because I would not care to think about, or care about what, the British all of the time, does not mean that I don't think about you do some of the time. The issue need not be seen in either extreme measure, as you would have us believe.

The fact of the matter is that I do, on occassion, listen to the BBC. I do listen to what your politicians have to say, because it may affect my country. Hell, I even watch some of your television shows and movies. Just as the actions of the U.S. affect your, and therefore I am sure that some of your fellow countrypersons "think about what the U.S. does."

Don't involve us in your politics.

You weren't involved until you decided to comment on a thread regarding U.S. politics. You needn't have said anything. This was, ostensibly, not to gauge your reaction to the issue, but to gauge how Americans feel that their government is treating yours.

Not only that, but to think that your country could somehow, in this day and age, be separate from out politics is naive. To be sure, your government may play a greater or lesser role in the debate, but it's still there none the less.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What's funny is, you actually do the same thing regarding your religion "Jews don't care about non-Jewish beliefs", meanwhile you wax philosophic about how Jews argue about everything within their religion, which might actually include a comparison with other religious beliefs, if only on an intellectual curiosity basis.

And this discussion is not about the individual interpersonal relationships between U.S. citizens and UK subjects. It is about the relationships between our two governments. So that just means that you missed the entire point of the OP to begin with.

You weren't involved until you decided to comment on a thread regarding U.S. politics. You needn't have said anything. This was, ostensibly, not to gauge your reaction to the issue, but to gauge how Americans feel that their government is treating yours.
I'm sorry, but IMO reference to ethnicity is out of place here. I am not Jewish, but I would really prefer that we keep on the topic and I am only saying this because I don't feel Tez should have to cop this %#*t.

Back to the OP. The question wasn't phrased about Governments.
"Britain, do you still think Obama likes you?" I would have thought that that was a question asked of any of the members from GB. It specifically starts "Britain, ..." Did you expect a reply from the British Government? It was NOT asking Americans how they feel about this but obviously they are going to put in their two bobs worth which is as it should be.

If Tez and Superkin didn't respond, who did you think would fill in the other side of the story? It wasn't a rhetorical question was it?

From an outside point of view Obama is losing the plot. I find that really sad as we need solid alliances, not the divisive rhetoric. His suck up to Sarkozy showed total lack of judgement, or does he want to ditch existing arrangements and go it alone with the French. I know if I was going in to a fight I'd have a New Zealander on one side of me and a bloody Pom on the other.

Edit .. I'd have a Canuck there too for good measure.

perceive

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but IMO reference to ethnicity is out of place here. I am not Jewish, but I would really prefer that we keep on the topic and I am only saying this because I don't feel Tez should have to cop this %#*t.

Back to the OP. The question wasn't phrased about Governments.
"Britain, do you still think Obama likes you?" I would have thought that that was a question asked of any of the members from GB. It specifically starts "Britain, ..." Did you expect a reply from the British Government? It was NOT asking Americans how they feel about this but obviously they are going to put in their two bobs worth which is as it should be.

If Tez and Superkin didn't respond, who did you think would fill in the other side of the story? It wasn't a rhetorical question was it?

From an outside point of view Obama is losing the plot. I find that really sad as we need solid alliances, not the divisive rhetoric. His suck up to Sarkozy showed total lack of judgement, or does he want to ditch existing arrangements and go it alone with the French. I know if I was going in to a fight I'd have a New Zealander on one side of me and a bloody Pom on the other.

Edit .. I'd have a Canuck there too for good measure.
Kiwis, Poms and Canucks. Sounds about right. Even better if the pom's bring their Gurkha's :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5-0 Kenpo, lets face it you have a problem with whatever I post wherever I post it so lets just not bother getting into an argument that bores everyone silly.

Governments screw each other all the time, what do you expect, honour among thieves?

If the OP is going to address the couple of British posters here as 'Britain' well, what did you think you were going to get?

On subjects like this, with weekend and night shifts being boring at the moment, I bring up items from MT like these and see what others think, of course its a small proportion of views but hey I pass them on.

Anzacs, Brits and Gurkhas....awesome!! :ultracool

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Busy rushing around for work and forgot the Canadians, my humblest apologies!!!

The OP puts things in such a way that it makes it difficult for any Brit to really post in any meaningful way, whatever opinion we post about Obama we will get back from some, even though they dislike him themselves, is that we have no business making comments on Obama, that we have no right to criticise their President etc etc. We will be told to mind our own business and then the ineveitable, it seems, post that says 'If it weren't for us you'd be speaking German now....' It comes up every time a criticism of the US is made by a non citizen so what the hell do you expect us to say?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
This is a bit off post but still applicable... I think

I’m an American and this will likely get me beaten up in the study but…..

What a lot of Americans fail to understand is that America does or says and what its president does or says may not matter one little bit to another country. We may be upset, disgusted, offended, happy sad or proud and people outside of our couldn’t care less, even if what is said or done effects people outside of our borders... and I have been as guilty as the next American about this before..... But...we are not the only country that does this or thinks this way about what they do either

OK, I’m done…have at me

Oh
And what is this Canadian you speak of (Xue runs away and hides) :D

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We are :lol:. It's Australian slang for 'Englishman'. Well it used to be "Pommie" when I was younger but seems to have contracted over the past few decades. "Pommie" usually comes with an epithet tagged on the end (that being a word that is still the legal definition of a child born out of wedlock). An Aussie could probably give a more detailed explanation of the various inflections and abbreviations or elaborations that append to it.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Whats a pom?
A fuzzy, mostly worthless little dog?
Pomeranian_picture.jpg

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh, the origin of the word in common usage has a couple of theories that attend to it - a contraction of the acronym of "Prisoner of Her Majesty" being one. That one, tho' comedic, is not likely the case. The most commonly accepted rationale being that it is derived from "Pomegranate", that being the colour that freshly arrived Englishmen went under the antipodean sun :D.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Tridents are employed on the Royal Navy's Vanguard class submarines.

Of which there are four.

Each of them can be armed with up to 16 Tridents.

This is, in fact, the only declared in service nuclear weaponry of Great Britain, having decommissioned all others back in 1998.

You can read a great deal about the Trident here

And the Vanguard class elsewhere...like Jane's..you can read about the Trident there as well.....

Given all of that, how can you make a big deal of this? Both our nuclear communities cooperate a great deal, and have since....well, since the Manhattan Project.....and the Russian nuclear infrastructure is in such a ridiculous shambles that it couldn't pose much of a threat even if Putin single-handedly brought back the Evil Empire tomorrow......:lfao:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Tridents are employed on the Royal Navy's Vanguard class submarines.

Of which there are four.

Each of them can be armed with up to 16 Tridents.

This is, in fact, the only declared in service nuclear weaponry of Great Britain, having decommissioned all others back in 1998.

You can read a great deal about the Trident here

And the Vanguard class elsewhere...like Jane's..you can read about the Trident there as well.....

Given all of that, how can you make a big deal of this? Both our nuclear communities cooperate a great deal, and have since....well, since the Manhattan Project.....and the Russian nuclear infrastructure is in such a ridiculous shambles that it couldn't pose much of a threat even if Putin single-handedly brought back the Evil Empire tomorrow......:lfao:

There you go…giving away the secrets of British nuclear weapons to the Russians… MT...and EVERYONE ELSE....you got something against Britain do you…hmmmmmm :D

:disgust: You just had to bring Logic and reason into this… didn’t you :uhyeah:

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
There you go…giving away the secrets of British nuclear weapons to the Russians… MT...and EVERYONE ELSE....you got something against Britain do you…hmmmmmm :D

:disgust: You just had to bring Logic and reason into this… didn’t you :uhyeah:

Oh, and the British are going to change out those Tridents for subsonic, low altitude cruise missiles....there, now I've given away a "secret." :rolleyes: :lfao:

Last edited:

Latest Discussions