Britain, do you still think Obama likes you?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A title like 'Britain, do you still think Obama likes you' is hugely pretentious, there's only a handful of Brits on MT that post and many people in this country don't care whether the president of the USA like us or not. We don't even care if David Cameron likes us :), if he does a lousy job we'll kick him out next election or perhaps even before.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I just think it incredibly sad to see an administration make such fundamental errors of judgement. Most records are released after 40 years or so and we see who has shafted who but after such time is just causes a shrug. To see it happening real time is different and disturbing.

Australia hasn't escaped unscathed either from the say one thing in public and the opposite in private syndrome from the same administrations. Just call it "International Diplomacy".

As to the Poms .... bastards! It was our turn to have the ashes!!
icon10.gif

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just think it incredibly sad to see an administration make such fundamental errors of judgement. Most records are released after 40 years or so and we see who has shafted who but after such time is just causes a shrug. To see it happening real time is different and disturbing.

Australia hasn't escaped unscathed either from the say one thing in public and the opposite in private syndrome from the same administrations. Just call it "International Diplomacy".

As to the Poms .... bastards! It was our turn to have the ashes!!
icon10.gif

Ah to be beaten in your own country........

See, the Americans don't understand that there's far more important things than whther someones president likes you or not. The Ashes now, my other half was up most of the nights it was on to watch it live, it's not winning or losing it's more important than that, it's everything! There's certain things which eclipse everything like beating the All Blacks, winning the Ashes, watching your team beat Man U etc, these things are the staff of life not whether some Yank likes you. :lol:

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
And what makes you so sure that he did not tell the Brits in advance, the Brits feign offence, thre Russians know the info is near useless. At the end, everybody knows it's useless, but everybody can claim they gained something.

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score

See, the Americans don't understand that there's far more important things than whther someones president likes you or not. The Ashes now, my other half was up most of the nights it was on to watch it live, it's not winning or losing it's more important than that, it's everything! There's certain things which eclipse everything like beating the All Blacks, winning the Ashes, watching your team beat Man U etc, these things are the staff of life not whether some Yank likes you. :lol:

Hockey gold at the Olympics. Nothing else matters.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:chuckles: K-Man ... it is never your turn to hold the Ashes ... other than those times when we play cricket as if it is baseball ... {whistles innocently}

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gran, The Ashes is the ultimate prize of cricket - even those who don't care too much about cricket are at least vaguely interested in who holds them.

The Aussies are like our dearest cousins. We love them and yet we will upbrade them at every opportunity (and the reverse is true also - if it wasn't we wouldn't take being called "Pommie {expletive deleted}" with such equanimity by a bunch of convicts {/wink}). The international arm-wrestle that decides who has the upper hand at the time is largely determined by The Ashes.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I'm sorry, say again? I've been too busy preparing for Super Sunday to pay attention. :lfao:

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Gran, The Ashes is the ultimate prize of cricket - even those who don't care too much about cricket are at least vaguely interested in who holds them.

The Aussies are like our dearest cousins. We love them and yet we will upbrade them at every opportunity (and the reverse is true also - if it wasn't we wouldn't take being called "Pommie {expletive deleted}" with such equanimity by a bunch of convicts {/wink}). The international arm-wrestle that decides who has the upper hand at the time is largely determined by The Ashes.
OUCH! Now we are getting personal! GG Grandfather was I'm sure very happy in Manchester before those nasty coppers pinched him for some minor nicking and offered him the holiday of a lifetime he just couldn't refuse. Free board and lodging for 7 years with all the trimmings in a wonderful new world. :p He even skipped back once to see how things were and won another trip. Great land England .. such generosity.
icon12.gif

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, Tez, it is politics, however, even in politics, you aren't supposed to stab your allies in the back.

5-0 Kenpo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What irritates me about it is Obamas lack of wisdom and understanding. As an American I really dislike the way he is sticking to our friend and ally, especially when he is so friendly with all the really bad actors out on the world stage. Wether or not what he is doing has any real teeth to it, it doesn't really matter who makes the weapons, its that he is selling out a friend, a long time friend, to a former KGB agent, because of his twisted, community activist view of the world. It is pretty offensive.

I wouldn't worry about it. According to Tez, it really doesn't matter what we do, because the British (as she seems to speak for all of them) don't really care what we do.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look, America has two faces, one is the American people who we all like, we can drink, fight alongside with, shag and generally have a good time with, the other side is the United States of America, the official side, the one the world either hates or is scared of, the side that interferes in other countries affairs, that supports tryrannies because they 'oppose' the commies. We know the difference and we know which side is our friends.

The USA, the official side started losing world credibility with the McCarthy witchhunts then Vietnam. Supporting the Shah of Iran and his ilk around the world, arming the Taliban, selling weapons to Iraq, invading Grenada helped drag the USA's reputation down even more. The first Iraq war, then the second and finally Afghanistan has exhausted much of the good will that was left. However Americans have never been regarded the same way as their governments, although that may sound odd but they haven't. More than any other country we seem to disassociate Americans from their leaders.

5-0 Kenpo, snide remark there. Am I bovvered? Are you going to put your hand on your heart and swear that American follow everything the Brits do with mouths agape and words of wonder on their tongues? No, didn't think so, you don't care what we do either. the acid words aren't needed.

The Americans are our friends and allies, always will be, their government who knows, until the black day the Americans decide to do what their government seems to be doing we won't be that concerned.

Your government, you sort them out if they aren't doing as you wish, we'll take what they do with a pinch of salt while remembering who our friends are.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Look, America has two faces, one is the American people who we all like, we can drink, fight alongside with, shag and generally have a good time with, the other side is the United States of America, the official side, the one the world either hates or is scared of, the side that interferes in other countries affairs, that supports tryrannies because they 'oppose' the commies. We know the difference and we know which side is our friends.

The USA, the official side started losing world credibility with the McCarthy witchhunts then Vietnam. Supporting the Shah of Iran and his ilk around the world, arming the Taliban, selling weapons to Iraq, invading Grenada helped drag the USA's reputation down even more. The first Iraq war, then the second and finally Afghanistan has exhausted much of the good will that was left. However Americans have never been regarded the same way as their governments, although that may sound odd but they haven't. More than any other country we seem to disassociate Americans from their leaders.
To back up what Tez is saying. Over the years I have had the privilage of visiting the US several times and met hundreds of Americans. They have been, almost without exception, friendly, polite and great company. It seems though, that the Government is out of step with the people. Polititians are backed by big business and they demand their pound of flesh. What suits the multinationals becomes Government policy regardless of what is requested.

On a different tack. If we look at terrorist operations world wide, where would you put the CIA? One again it doesn't bring the US to the top of the respectability charts.

It is impossible to read any article on the CIA that does not contain details of actions which are not acceptable with sociological standards. They routinely describe procedures to deceive Congress, to overthrow established governments, to engage in theft and murder without end, and to conceal their nefarious acts behind national security. The instances where involved parties encounter “accidental death” or “suicide” is statistically beyond comparison. http://100777.com/node/1727

Years ago the US adminstration undermined Australia's overseas wheat exports by dumping their excess wheat as 'Aid' in our markets. Most ordinary Americans don't see what havoc American policy brings about overseas.

So with Obama. I thought it was a breath of fresh air when he was elected but his chosen path since has not done America a favour on the international scene and he seems to have lost a lot of support in the US as well. His attitude towards Britain may be influenced by the alleged torture of his grandfather by the British forces in Kenka. Totally wrong though that may have been, was it really a reason to jeopardise future relations with the UK? The idea that this torture is so wrong would be fine if the use of torture was not such a part of US operations anyway.

I must confess, I just don't know what you can trust any more.

Ramirez

Black Belt
Reaction score
It's been a couple of days since the Telegraph printed that story and I haven't seen it in many other news organizations, the BBC so far hasn't thought it important enough to post as far as I can tell.

You think if this was really serious Cameron would be having press conferences etc. by now.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been a couple of days since the Telegraph printed that story and I haven't seen it in many other news organizations, the BBC so far hasn't thought it important enough to post as far as I can tell.

You think if this was really serious Cameron would be having press conferences etc. by now.

No nothing is being said anywhere.

With some snide remarks on here being made I'd hate to have the rabid, feverish and manic thoughts that seem to colour the right v left debates on here ruin the friendship the Brits and the Americans have by bringing that into our discussions, the OP title is in that vein sadly. Can we keep the sensationalist out of our relationships please and keep it sensible.

Latest Discussions