Bring the Pain!

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have bee lucky I guess.
total of 6 broken ribs over the years
broken bones in my hand (boxers break) form trying to stop a punch I had thrown at a door then realized the door would break wrong my hand did)
nose broken a few times
fingers and toes broken or dislocated ( last time the toes from tripping over my gi pants leg)
torn lateral and medial meniscus
numerous cut and bruises from weapons training
knocked out once
extremely sore eyes from watching some of the young ladies in the stands at tournaments :rolleyes:
Maybe you wouldn't have gotten knocked out if you had kept your eyes on your opponent instead of the young ladies in the stands. ;)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody.
Yesterday I was doing a little light sparring and managed to get clocked in the temple with a waster sword.
So while I'm lying there, blood pooling around my still form I reflected upon the times in my life that I had been hurt during either training or sparring.
I compiled a list in my head, which I'm grateful about not being too long.

1: Putting a small sword point through the skin on my hip when trying to re-sheath.
2: Broken fingers (many different reasons, mainly swords) number five in total over double amount of years.
3: Dislocated wrist, due to being on the receiving end of a Hapkido practitioner.
4:Knocked out my own tooth, with my own knee!
5: Bruised Ego.

Does anyone wish to share their own wounds and owies?
L

2 of my biggest injuries, came from idiots with no control. Those would be:

a right wrist injury, due to an idiot with no control, applying a joint lock, and applied the pressure too quick, thus resulting in a pop. To this day, I have to be extremely careful with that hand. Second injury was to my left knee, while grappling, with another idiot who tweaked my knee, almost tearing the ACL.

Other injuries include various bumps and bruises, bloody nose, etc, but fortunately, so far, no lost teeth or broken bones. :)

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
In nearly four years I've had a number of small injuries, the worst of which being a broken big toe from kicking my heavy bag with poor technique when I was really tired (at the end of a session) and a shin fracture from sparring without gear - checked a heavy kick.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
bashed myself in the forehead and face with real wood nunchucks. you know that typical moment where your spinning those suckers full speed and you realize your losing control and you say to yourself seconds before ...oh ,,,,,this is gonna hurt.

torn my hamstring real bad when the instructor was using me as a demo dummy and caught my round kick and pulled me forward. i had a solid black bruise the size of a football on the inside of my thigh. other students could hear the pop sound across the room.

i have damage to my vertebrae in my neck from being on the receiving end of a BJJ cruicifix gone wrong applied full speed.

during BJJ ground work i had the tendons in my knee ripped (lateral co-lateral) my knee had the same sound as ripping off a turkey leg during thanksgiving. was the same twisting motion applied to my knee that did it.

while at the doctors for unrelated reasons the x ray tech who was taking x rays of my chest had this look of puzzlement on her face and turns and says to me " do you know you have had multiple broken ribs, i mean like a lot"

but the worst damage has been to my knees from just the daily wear and tear of martial arts over time.

and i should add my teeth are all chipped from sparring in the days before gloves and mouthpieces were the norm. maybe they were and we were just not that bright.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Figured you would have seen it. Maybe try a steel gauntlet to protect that hand :D

Wish I had read your post earlier and taken the advice, I went and banged up my other hand this weekend. Fortunately it is not too bad just one very swollen index finger, I guess the downside to training a lot is that you suffer these minor owies more often too :D

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wish I had read your post earlier and taken the advice, I went and banged up my other hand this weekend. Fortunately it is not too bad just one very swollen index finger, I guess the downside to training a lot is that you suffer these minor owies more often too :D

Yeah. I reckon invite more owies if you are conscious of it.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks, Hoshin 1600, I forgot all about then Okinawan Head Ache Sticks!

Cracked myself behind the ear while showing off. Bled like crazy, went to the E.R for a dozen stitches. 1974, haven't picked them up since.

The attending Doc had a grand old time with my young ***, feigning he never heard of Nun-chucks. It went something like this as he stitched me up.

Doc - "So, these rice flail things, which you say are used for weapons now, which you swing around your body and head to practice swinging them at somebody else.....this is what you hit yourself in the head with?
Me. "Yes Sir."
Doc. "And you say you're an instructor and actually teach people?"
Me. "Yes, Sir."
Doc. "You might want to consider an employment Plan B, young fella."

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
arm and leg conditioning(koteketai) i forget how to spell it so it could be wrong... but regardless
fun fun fun! i dont know why its one of my most favorite parts(obviosly weapons are cooler but still...)
since its toughening the body theres going to be a lot of bruises... and sometimes you might be sitting at home and you realize you have a bruise on your arm or maybe leg and you think... how did that get there? when did that happen?? or if you got a bruise on the head that might explain it...
joking aside keep up the work! the bruises make you tougher!

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Only a bit more than a year of training - so nothing serious yet. Hit myself in the head a few times with my own stick/staff, sprained my ankle with bad side kick, and the worst minor injury was tearing/friction burning skin on parts of both feet during my first free form grappling session.

Koshiki

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I've had a few bumps, bruises, swollen noses, some chipped teeth, and assorted joint oweys, but honestly the two injuries that by far stick out as the most unpleasant, both in terms of pain and embarrassment would be:

1. The first day I got to play with a pair of Nunchuku. I'm not entirely sure what I did, but I remember it ended with me on my knees trying to see something other than rippling, blinding checkboards... "No, I'm fine, I did NOT just almost knock myself out! Nope, definitely not!"

2. Getting the corner of a stiff, new belt whipped into my eye as I oh-so-gracefully ducked low and slid behind my sparring partner for a takedown. Holy crap that hurt, and made me see funny for a while, once I could open it again. I've often heard the phrase "Nothing more dangerous than a new Black Belt," but I never realized it was meant literally!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Does anyone wish to share their own wounds and owies?

Broke my left ankle twice training
Once kicking (did not know I broke it) and once doing Shaolin Long Fist Staff form (that is when I found out I broke it before)

Broke it a third time too, but that was just plain stupidity and not associated with training

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I've had the usual broken toes, black eyes, muscle strains (not for a while, thankfully), shin splints....etc but there's one injury that had the most profound effect on my training in that I couldn't really do anything until it healed, that was my sacroiliac knee joint. I was really tired, fighting in my first kickboxing competition and must have kept my front foot planted whilst throwing a lead hook and twisted my knee badly. I carried on fighting and actually won the next tournament (points fighting that time, thankfully) but by the time I'd driven 1.5 hours home I could barely move my left leg and the swelling was crazy. Psychologically, the injury affected me for a couple of months because I was scared to fully extend my left roundhouse - it was a tough one to get over

Edit: I seem to have already posted on this thread earlier this year. Well, at least I'm outdoing myself in some training related way in 2015!

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had the usual broken toes, black eyes, muscle strains (not for a while, thankfully), shin splints....etc but there's one injury that had the most profound effect on my training in that I couldn't really do anything until it healed, that was my sacroiliac knee joint. I was really tired, fighting in my first kickboxing competition and must have kept my front foot planted whilst throwing a lead hook and twisted my knee badly. I carried on fighting and actually won the next tournament (points fighting that time, thankfully) but by the time I'd driven 1.5 hours home I could barely move my left leg and the swelling was crazy. Psychologically, the injury affected me for a couple of months because I was scared to fully extend my left roundhouse - it was a tough one to get over

Edit: I seem to have already posted on this thread earlier this year. Well, at least I'm outdoing myself in some training related way in 2015!

That's an extremely unusual injury. One might even say unique.

Especially since your sacroiliac is at the top rear of your pelvis, not your knee.

If you have a sacroiliac knee joint, I have to ask... what species are you?

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
That's an extremely unusual injury. One might even say unique.

Especially since your sacroiliac is at the top rear of your pelvis, not your knee.

If you have a sacroiliac knee joint, I have to ask... what species are you?

Haha! Evidently getting my injuries muddled up! I meant Meniscus - they sound so similar *cough* *cough*

I think the only thing my knee injury has in common with the sacroiliac pain I was experiencing is that I had to look up the spelling for that part of my anatomy too.

Nooooo, I can't edit the post....forever stored in the records of Martial Talk! It's the only piece of nonsense I've ever posted too, damn, my clean record is ruined.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just thought of something that happened to someone i know. he was at the bar after a ring fight and he knew had had taken a few blows around the eyes. well here is a bit of advise if you never heard it before, after a fight don't sneeze or blow your nose......he had torn the muscles around the eye, and out it came. he pushed it back in and thought maybe he should have some one at the ER look at that.

that was the story anyway i wasnt there so i cant say for sure if it was true but this guy is not the type to make something up so i believe it.

Latest Discussions