Bring the Pain!

LibbyW

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi everybody.
Yesterday I was doing a little light sparring and managed to get clocked in the temple with a waster sword.
So while I'm lying there, blood pooling around my still form I reflected upon the times in my life that I had been hurt during either training or sparring.
I compiled a list in my head, which I'm grateful about not being too long.

1: Putting a small sword point through the skin on my hip when trying to re-sheath.
2: Broken fingers (many different reasons, mainly swords) number five in total over double amount of years.
3: Dislocated wrist, due to being on the receiving end of a Hapkido practitioner.
4:Knocked out my own tooth, with my own knee!
5: Bruised Ego.

Does anyone wish to share their own wounds and owies?
L

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I broke one of my toes... On my couch. There was some bak sil lum form that I was working on that I decided to do a run through of in my living room. That'll learn me on situational awareness... Or not. I'm pretty sure I had a bruised rib too from doing BJJ/grappling take downs with a guy who had at least 50 lbs on me. I had a hyperextended elbow (but luckily not broken) once too in BJJ from an overzealous white belt.

OP
LibbyW

LibbyW

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I broke one of my toes... On my couch. There was some bak sil lum form that I was working on that I decided to do a run through of in my living room. That'll learn me on situational awareness... Or not. I'm pretty sure I had a bruised rib too from doing BJJ/grappling take downs with a guy who had at least 50 lbs on me. I had a hyperextended elbow (but luckily not broken) once too in BJJ from an overzealous white belt.

Ahh, nothing like a little living room toe bashing. I must admit the home is a great place for situational awareness, as long as the lamps/ornaments/furniture/windows/doors can take the abuse :)

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Let`s see..

Hyperextended elbow once from an armbar. Got it x-rayed thankfully nothing serious just had to take it easy for a few months.
Broken tooth from a kick to the jaw.
Several chipped teeth mostly suffered during grappling.
My nose is not completely straight anymore. Let us just say make sure your sparing partner uses proper gloves and not ridicolously thin ones.
Too many minor owies to list like fingers bent the wrong way, cuts etc

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let`s see..

Hyperextended elbow once from an armbar. Got it x-rayed thankfully nothing serious just had to take it easy for a few months.
Broken tooth from a kick to the jaw.
Several chipped teeth mostly suffered during grappling.
My nose is not completely straight anymore. Let us just say make sure your sparing partner uses proper gloves and not ridicolously thin ones.
Too many minor owies to list like fingers bent the wrong way, cuts etc

I really mean this in jest, but last night I watched Guardians of the Galaxy. There is a scene when a character has to realign herself. Just by you're pictures reminded me of that. Still, fingers pointing the wrong way, I had one, and it hurt enough. How many did you have?

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I really mean this in jest, but last night I watched Guardians of the Galaxy. There is a scene when a character has to realign herself. Just by you're pictures reminded me of that. Still, fingers pointing the wrong way, I had one, and it hurt enough. How many did you have?

That would be Nebula when fighting Gamora. FUN movie by the way:D
Gamora_and_Nebula_Gotg_Concept_Art.jpg

At the moment my left index and long finger are still too stiff to form a proper fist so have to strike with an open hand. It was just the long finger first but then I managed to get my hand smashed again :D Got my left long and ring fingers bent while deflecting a kick on another occation.

OP
LibbyW

LibbyW

Orange Belt
Reaction score
@LibbyW. You knocked a tooth out with the knee. How the hell did you manage that? :D

I was practicing tumbling with a partner, I'd get them to shoulder throw me so I could get my landings as comfortable as poss. Trouble is I wasn't so great at it, and once I'd turned over my right foot landed flat on the floor and drove my knee into my face! I was knocked and everything...not my best day :shamefullyembarrased:

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was practicing tumbling with a partner, I'd get them to shoulder throw me so I could get my landings as comfortable as poss. Trouble is I wasn't so great at it, and once I'd turned over my right foot landed flat on the floor and drove my knee into my face! I was knocked and everything...not my best day :shamefullyembarrased:
Done that before, no injury though.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I slightly jammed the fingers of my left had while trying to block a powerful kick free sparring in TKD. Mr. Rhee was watching and chided me not to do that as kicks were too powerful to try and block that way. It didn't do any good to try and explain I knew that and had been trying to block with my fist and didn't get my fingers closed. Another time I gook a kick to the groin only to learn certain parts of my anatomy had slipped between my body and the back of my steel cup. Mr. Rhee immediately ordered me to start jumping up and down. I thought that was one of the stupidest things I had ever heard, but one didn't tell Mr. Rhee that. It worked! You learn something new every day.

During my Hapkido studies, we were once training in very cold gym, doing multiple kicks at focus pads. I began a spinning back kick, but somehow, my GM in moving the pads from the last kick to the next expected kick, hit my plant foot's calf with the edge of the focus pad. Instant muscle spasm and tearing of ligaments in by ankle and foot. That took about a month of limping to be comfortable with some techniques. One of the AIs and I were sparring once and I pulled a kick on him he didn't expect, or maybe hadn't even seen. He was incredibly good, and owned his own school, and a little full of himself and not willing to look foolish from anybody, much less un-belted studets. But he was patient. It took several months for he and I to be alone, and he asked if I wanted to spar. He raked a heel over my knee, putting a strong hit on the bottom end of my femur. I still don't know how he put so much power into that. I had a dime sized bruise there for several weeks, and had difficulty putting weight on my bent knee.

Outside of the dojo, I have broken my skull, forearm, wrist, crushed and broken toes, broke an ankle twice, and sprain/broken little toes more than I can remember.

But I feel lucky compared to some of the things mentioned here. Luckily we only used bamboo swords to practice. I saw another BB constantly jam his index finger so I was very careful in sword defense with the short stick, not to do the same. Bamboo swords really don't have much give in thim.

OP
LibbyW

LibbyW

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I slightly jammed the fingers of my left had while trying to block a powerful kick free sparring in TKD. Mr. Rhee was watching and chided me not to do that as kicks were too powerful to try and block that way. It didn't do any good to try and explain I knew that and had been trying to block with my fist and didn't get my fingers closed. Another time I gook a kick to the groin only to learn certain parts of my anatomy had slipped between my body and the back of my steel cup. Mr. Rhee immediately ordered me to start jumping up and down. I thought that was one of the stupidest things I had ever heard, but one didn't tell Mr. Rhee that. It worked! You learn something new every day.

During my Hapkido studies, we were once training in very cold gym, doing multiple kicks at focus pads. I began a spinning back kick, but somehow, my GM in moving the pads from the last kick to the next expected kick, hit my plant foot's calf with the edge of the focus pad. Instant muscle spasm and tearing of ligaments in by ankle and foot. That took about a month of limping to be comfortable with some techniques. One of the AIs and I were sparring once and I pulled a kick on him he didn't expect, or maybe hadn't even seen. He was incredibly good, and owned his own school, and a little full of himself and not willing to look foolish from anybody, much less un-belted studets. But he was patient. It took several months for he and I to be alone, and he asked if I wanted to spar. He raked a heel over my knee, putting a strong hit on the bottom end of my femur. I still don't know how he put so much power into that. I had a dime sized bruise there for several weeks, and had difficulty putting weight on my bent knee.

Outside of the dojo, I have broken my skull, forearm, wrist, crushed and broken toes, broke an ankle twice, and sprain/broken little toes more than I can remember.

But I feel lucky compared to some of the things mentioned here. Luckily we only used bamboo swords to practice. I saw another BB constantly jam his index finger so I was very careful in sword defense with the short stick, not to do the same. Bamboo swords really don't have much give in thim.

Yikes...a broken skull! That is pretty serious!! Actually, you wound list makes me think you might be Jackie Chan in disguise. I heard he has a permanent hole in his head from an accident while filming Armour of God.
I hope all your broken bits healed ok?
L

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I mussed my hair up once. :)

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Let's see ...

Broken hand from holding a board for a friend to kick - he missed the board and hit my hand instead.
Broken wrist from a bad fall
Couple of cut tendons in my fingers from sword practice
Broken finger from blocking a punch wrong - didn't realize it was broken at the time but when the swelling went down I discovered that it was now crooked.
Countless bumps, bruises, and strains. Most recent was a couple of weeks ago when I got caught in a reverse heel hook and my sparring partner didn't let go quickly enough. I was afraid that one might have been a torn ligament, but it's healing up pretty well so I guess it was just a mild strain.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would be Nebula when fighting Gamora. FUN movie by the way:D
Gamora_and_Nebula_Gotg_Concept_Art.jpg

At the moment my left index and long finger are still too stiff to form a proper fist so have to strike with an open hand. It was just the long finger first but then I managed to get my hand smashed again :D Got my left long and ring fingers bent while deflecting a kick on another occation.

Figured you would have seen it. Maybe try a steel gauntlet to protect that hand :D

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What before you lost it :)

Exactly!

What I can remember - Crushed larynx, torn ACL, broken foot (two metatarsals), broken arm (ulna), 14 broken ribs on five occasions (not counting fractures) broken fingers, broken toes (never bothered to count them) bruised kidneys (two hospital stays, but just overnight) badly torn hamstring, God knows how many sprains, pulls etc of various....well, everything. Docs told me I've broken my nose over a hundred times (yes, I know, I should learn to block) degenerative discs from too much training, joint problems, two surgeries to remove torn cartilage in each knee, ruptured bursar sac in elbow, yada, yada.

I know it seems excessive, but it's over 45 years, 25 of them professionally. I'm relatively unscathed, all things considered.But what hurt more than all of them, Joe Lewis bit me (showing me something) on the Inferior Alveolar Nerve (Jawline). Felt like severe electric shock, still gives me goosebumps. Worst thing I ever felt. (kind of funny, too)

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I've gotten off pretty light:
Dislocated finger from open hand blocking a kick.
Broken hand punching a guy in sparring.
Scratched cornea from getting a finger in the eye.
Sprained MCL from an heel hook.
Right shoulder still isn't quite right from taking an elbow their during sparring years ago, probably something to do with the rotater cuff.
Something with my meniscus in my right knee that eventually resolved itself.
Bruises, stick hickies, and various abrasions are too numerous to count.

Latest Discussions