Bring the Pain!

OP
LibbyW

LibbyW

Orange Belt
Reaction score

It does mean broken, but there are three stages of fracture: non-displaced fracture, displaced fracture, and stress fracture. Some might say that a displaced fracture is a break, given that the two or more parts of bone are no long in correct contact.
A stress fracture and non-displaced usually stay within contact with the other parts of bones and take a lot less time to heal.

Here is an article which explains better than me, and has pictures!
Fractures Broken Bones Manhattan Orthopedic

L

OP
LibbyW

LibbyW

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've gotten off pretty light:
Dislocated finger from open hand blocking a kick.
Broken hand punching a guy in sparring.
Scratched cornea from getting a finger in the eye.
Sprained MCL from an heel hook.
Right shoulder still isn't quite right from taking an elbow their during sparring years ago, probably something to do with the rotater cuff.
Something with my meniscus in my right knee that eventually resolved itself.
Bruises, stick hickies, and various abrasions are too numerous to count.

Ah the good old stick hickies.
I got a reputation at college during the summer, about two years ago now. So many stick hickies to be seen, so few people knowing they came from sticks.
I would often get asked: why did you let him give you a hickie on your forearm? That's not sexy.
After a while I just used to say I was into weird S**t, easier than trying to explain blunt sword combat to plastic fantastic girls :blackeye:
L

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
D Dog, yes, what the young lady said. Last time was in 03. I was in a full on blitz - and I close distance as quickly as anyone I know - and ran right into one of those nasty sidekicks we often speak off, thrown by my training partner who's a pretty big guy. Three of my ribs were broken and separated, those three ribs also had several fractures. Two other ribs had multiple fractures, a sixth rib was fractured and moved out of place. (It seems like every ten years I get my ribs smashed in.)

Slept in a chair for three weeks (which really sucks), then a couple more weeks somewhat reclined. Couldn't cough, couldn't laugh. I had to wait until they knitted themselves before I could have the misplaced rib popped back. I swear that hurt worse than everything else.

It was a nice kick, though.

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well lets see here:

1. When I was a white belt I broke my foot on a 3rd dans elbow becuase she was an "elbow-blocker." IMO, the scariest people to spar.

2. At one point I got rocked by my instructor throwing a back wheel, and when I slid in I didnt move up far enough so the kneee just bent and the foot clocked me

3. Took a jump roundhouse square into the eye, although that one was pretty cool.

4. The one that takes the cake is Junior year of HS I separted my shoulder, and chose to lie to coach so I could wrestle tournaments and continued to train with it messed up and tore some ligaments. Cant roll as much as I used to, but luckily its not so bad I cant spar full contact with my MMA buddies! :D

Take care of your body folks, or you'll regret it one day

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ah the good old stick hickies.
Oh yes! In the SCA we had an adage that rattan is magnetically attracted to unprotected flesh. In my very first SCA tournament I was fighting in borrowed armor meant for someone much shorter. I took so many shots to the same unprotected spot on my left leg that I couldn't bend it or put weight on it afterwards. To take off my armor I had to hold on to the wall while I slid down to the floor.

Just remembered a couple more...
Dislocated shoulder in a judo tournament. I threw my opponent for ippon, then landed on my shoulder while twisting my head to look at the cool throw. :oops:
Got poked in the eye a few times, but one time resulted in seeing flashing rings of light at night for the next 6 months.

But what hurt more than all of them, Joe Lewis bit me (showing me something) on the Inferior Alveolar Nerve (Jawline).

Now that's a claim to fame that not many people can make!

ks - learning to fly

Senior Master
Reaction score
well, besides the normal bumps, cuts and bruises
I broke my collar bone in judo (first martial art experience) doing a forward roll
the rest is tkd:
rolled my ankle during a roundhouse drill
took a side kick in the face
lost my left big toenail after having it stomped on during a drill
-small list I realize, but after the:
4 fractured ribs
broken nose
2 black eyes
and 23 kick marks from my shoulder to my knee on my right side
I gathered from being jumped in 2003..

I'll take my TKD wounds with pride

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It does mean broken, but there are three stages of fracture: non-displaced fracture, displaced fracture, and stress fracture. Some might say that a displaced fracture is a break, given that the two or more parts of bone are no long in correct contact.
A stress fracture and non-displaced usually stay within contact with the other parts of bones and take a lot less time to heal.

Here is an article which explains better than me, and has pictures!
Fractures Broken Bones Manhattan Orthopedic

L

LOL

Libby, I'm very well aware of the gradations of fracture. After ~30 years in the ER, I'd better be.
Still, the statement as made makes no sense.
His explaination 'I'm counting ribs, not breaks on each rib' does make sense.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've actually had very few memorable injuries from my training. Bumps, bruises and sprains beyong counting.
I dislocated a toe from doing a crescent kick while BOB was too close to the back of a couch.
I had a fairly nasty fracture of 4th metacarpal from a messed up block - I caught a front kick to the knuckle while sparring 3 students. The distal 2/3 was fracture laterally and split lenghtwise.
That's pretty much it.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh boy, over the past 49 years of training the number has added up. So here you go.

Broken Rt clavicle from stick fighting match.
Fractured left tibia from leg checks
Torn rt and left shoulder rotator cuff (rt twice)
Torn left acl from foot getting caught on loose matting during a takedown
Torn medial meniscus left knee
Torn lateral meniscus left & rt knees
Several broken digits
5th metatarsal rt foot (thanks to Larry Hartsell doing a demo at a JKD seminar)
Nose has been repositioned
3 broken ribs on the rt side, 2 on the left
Several live blade training cuts and 3 punctures
Several toe nails
Jammed fingers and toes numerous times
Numerous sprains, bumps and bruises
and finally 3 concussions (that I am aware of) from being young and stupid while doing hard sparring with little to no protective gear

The worse part of the injuries is over the past couple of years they have all come back to remind me of the pains from my youth.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You know, this thread is probably not helpful for encouraging potential students or parents who are thinking about enroll long their kids in martial arts classes...

Hey, parents! Pay no attention to this thread. We're just a bunch of crazy people. Your kid's dojo is perfectly safe. Nothing to worry about.:D

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It must be kept in mind that, reading the posts, it's clear that a lot of the injuries occured at home, not the school.
And many of the ones that did occur in schools happened at a time when protective gear was rare or unheard of.

EklectikButterfly

White Belt
Reaction score
I haven't ever really been hurt, knock on wood. Still an amateur though ;) though at my last tournament I did (2nd tournament ever) I got a super hard kick to the head and nearly blacked out. All I remember was BAM! The ref/instructor grabbed my wrists because I started to waver back and forth and almost yanked my hands from her but then snapped into it realizing where I was and she was just steadying me. It was weird.... my eyes and nose immediately started to run. I finished the round but lost because I was just done lol. I was glad I had my mouth guard in because for a minute I yelled "WHAT THE love" but you couldn't understand with my mouth piece lol. Oops! My daughter fell and had the wind knocked out of her, poor kid was freaking out trying to get air but we both managed, obviously ;)

EklectikButterfly

White Belt
Reaction score
You know, this thread is probably not helpful for encouraging potential students or parents who are thinking about enroll long their kids in martial arts classes...

Hey, parents! Pay no attention to this thread. We're just a bunch of crazy people. Your kid's dojo is perfectly safe. Nothing to worry about.:D
Lol I take class with my kid ;) lol I never want to spar her so I don't hurt her lol. But all in all if any parents ARE worried I think the ratio of safe vs harm is fine... yes sparring can hurt and weapons classes can be hairy but it generally really is ok :)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
"It's not domestic violence, it's part of your training..." - Me, talking to my wife. ;)

Just to be clear... I rarely spar with family, and when I do it's quite controlled. But it's a running joke.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Began training in 1965 and the equipment we used was foam cover cloth hand and shin pads and no headgear. With today's high quality equipment standards I don't even allow that in my school. The way we trained was not the same, today safety in training with high quality equipment is very important. The lack of injuries shows we have come a long way in that regard.
Most of my injuries came from foolish American old school just rock'em sock'em training and full contact competition with no safety equipment.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Oh yes! In the SCA we had an adage that rattan is magnetically attracted to unprotected flesh. In my very first SCA tournament I was fighting in borrowed armor meant for someone much shorter. I took so many shots to the same unprotected spot on my left leg that I couldn't bend it or put weight on it afterwards. To take off my armor I had to hold on to the wall while I slid down to the floor.

Just remembered a couple more...
Dislocated shoulder in a judo tournament. I threw my opponent for ippon, then landed on my shoulder while twisting my head to look at the cool throw. :oops:
Got poked in the eye a few times, but one time resulted in seeing flashing rings of light at night for the next 6 months.

That seeing flashing rings of light for six months would have seriously freaked me out. Oh, man, Tony, glad that cleared up.

Funny thing is....I'll bet most of the students in all the schools of all the people who shared in this thread, were mostly injury free over the same time period.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have bee lucky I guess.
total of 6 broken ribs over the years
broken bones in my hand (boxers break) form trying to stop a punch I had thrown at a door then realized the door would break wrong my hand did)
nose broken a few times
fingers and toes broken or dislocated ( last time the toes from tripping over my gi pants leg)
torn lateral and medial meniscus
numerous cut and bruises from weapons training
knocked out once
extremely sore eyes from watching some of the young ladies in the stands at tournaments :rolleyes: