Bring the Pain!

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just thought of something that happened to someone i know. he was at the bar after a ring fight and he knew had had taken a few blows around the eyes. well here is a bit of advise if you never heard it before, after a fight don't sneeze or blow your nose......he had torn the muscles around the eye, and out it came. he pushed it back in and thought maybe he should have some one at the ER look at that.

that was the story anyway i wasnt there so i cant say for sure if it was true but this guy is not the type to make something up so i believe it.

I can say for certain that it's utter BS.

Now, if you have the right sort of facial fracture, it IS possible for air to get behind the eye and cause a certain degree of proptosis or "bulging" of the eye.
But no, it did not come out. And no, he could not "push it back in".

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Oops. forgot to add detached retina after getting hit in the eye

Forgot that one. Caught a stray finger, during the first months of wearing gloves. (Go figure)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Forgot that one. Caught a stray finger, during the first months of wearing gloves. (Go figure)

I had spared and trained for years with glasses so any hit in the eye was spread around the eye. Had cataract surgery and no longer needed glassed and got hit in the eye.. actually I blocked poorly and ended up hitting myself in the eye..... a few days later...detached retina

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody.
Yesterday I was doing a little light sparring and managed to get clocked in the temple with a waster sword.
So while I'm lying there, blood pooling around my still form I reflected upon the times in my life that I had been hurt during either training or sparring.
I compiled a list in my head, which I'm grateful about not being too long.

1: Putting a small sword point through the skin on my hip when trying to re-sheath.
2: Broken fingers (many different reasons, mainly swords) number five in total over double amount of years.
3: Dislocated wrist, due to being on the receiving end of a Hapkido practitioner.
4:Knocked out my own tooth, with my own knee!
5: Bruised Ego.

Does anyone wish to share their own wounds and owies?
L

Started training-seriously-when I was 11 years old. I'm a congenital klutz, so it was never easy....karate, judo, boxing, jujutsu....other stuff, including playing with sharp objects.......

Lacrosse

I've broken toes, couple of busted ribs,,twisted ankles, had my nose broken, jammed fingers and likely had a couple of concussions, aside from the four times I was knocked out.

That's it, actually-mostly broken toes, twists and sprains. Of late, some "[i[kote gaesh[/i] arthritis in my right wrist.

45 years, and most of my injuries were due to wear and tear-aging infrastructure-and lacrosse. I had my right knee scoped. I'm lucky, a lot of my contemporaries in martial arts-especially judo-are having their hips and/or knees replace-I don't get that: martial arts practice should increase longevity and health, and I think if your training leads to damage, you've probably been doing something wrong.

(That said, I have three defensive knife wound scars on my right forearm, one on the left, and a really cool looking scar on my head wear I got a skull fracture from being hit in the head with a brick in Dallas-none of those were training injuries, though I could say that I was using my martial arts training at the time....to stay alive....)

Last edited:

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've had my right fibula snapped in Judo, and had my nose slightly broken eating a punch in combatives training. I've never sustained any significant injury in full-contact fighting with steel weapons in HEMA. The worst I've gotten there are some spectacular bruises and a goose egg or two.

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've had my fair share of abrasions and a few black eyes but fortunately nothing too serious, and I hope it stays that way.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Black eyes suck because people see them and think..... well, you know.
And they always seem to rear their ugly head when you have to attend a buddy's wedding.

Broken noses suck because after enough of them your sense of smell goes on vacation and your taste buds go out of whack.

Who the hell ever came up with the idea that the nose should go upside down over the mouth?
(God laughs, I'm sure)

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
And they always seem to rear their ugly head when you have to attend a buddy's wedding.

This literally happened to me at the start of the year. I met the groom through Kung Fu so he was fine about it. After a few drinks we also took way too much pleasure in watching people's reaction as I was introduced as the friend who had just been released from prison.

Koshiki

Brown Belt
Reaction score

About a year ago a drunk girl grabbed my face from behind and left some nice big claw marks down across my eyelid and face.

They were veeerry obviously fingernail gouges, and lasted for a couple weeks. Got some comments and questions, and definitely a few disapproving glances.

So yeah, people see black eyes and think...

And people see scratched up face and think...

BraxLimbo

White Belt
Reaction score
We all had minor to even major injuries but probably my most embarrassing was when I was holding a board for a friend to kick but I wasn't ready and still laughing at an earlier joke. When my friend kicked the board, it didn't break but instead it kinda went with the kick and the board was sandwiched between my face and my friend's foot. I got a few scratches and a bruise in my face. Plus a broken nose and a couple of lose teeth which swollen lips. But the real pain was the emotional pain. LOL now it's just a memory to laugh at.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have had many injuries over the years due to martial arts training or competing. Nothing too major. Drove home from Indianapolis to Detroit one year cradling what amounted to a broken hand, that was special. Ate a lot of mat last night, humbled by a fellow Nidan. Today my right wrist is aching from improper fist formation when punching last night. Life happens. I don't dig pain, but I don't particularly mind it. One nice thing about getting older; it's all been there, done that, so what.

GiYu - Todd

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm currently wearing a cast due to ankle surgery two weeks ago. Had some bone and cartilage damage fixed. 4 more weeks non-weight-bearing to go.
Previously had broken toes/fingers, a broken rib, wedge fracture of a thorasic vertibra 18 months ago, multiple broken noses, and numerous sprains and sore joints.
For MA practitioners, if you don't get an occasional injury, you're likely not pushing yourself very much.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have had many injuries over the years due to martial arts training or competing... Life happens. I don't dig pain, but I don't particularly mind it. One nice thing about getting older; it's all been there, done that, so what.

Yeah, and Bill who served in the Marines long before he got into Karate isn't exactly the kind to fear pain or be overly ...er "risk-averse". One thing I'm finding out is that even if you do play it "cautiously", as you get older you don't have to go looking for pain. It has a way of finding you!

Hey Bill, it's good to see you posting again. You've been away too long! :)

Latest Discussions