Black Belt -- What Does It Mean to You?

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score
A black belt (1st Dan), means someone who has mastered the physical basics of the art and has begun to refine the details. He or she carries himself/herself with dignity and humility. He or she melds life experience and martial arts skills to minimize conflict or to minimize harm should conflict be necessary. It is a way of being, which is not appropriate for children or teens, because they lack the proper emotional maturity.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok? Why make another thread on this? Just to post your own personal take on what a black belt is, or are you looking for a discussion here?

For me, I know what I want from someone I give a black belt to, and it doesn't particularly bother me what someone else thinks of my interpretation of black belt.

do you think poom belts are inappropriate as well?

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
It is a way of being, which is not appropriate for children or teens, because they lack the proper emotional maturity.
To me it is pretty much about skill. The black belt can do most any "basic" kick (including tornado and spinning hook kick) comfortably and in control. I've never subscribed to the "wisdom" philosophy, other than excluding those extremely immature in demeanour.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A black belt (1st Dan), means someone who has mastered the physical basics of the art and has begun to refine the details. He or she carries himself/herself with dignity and humility. He or she melds life experience and martial arts skills to minimize conflict or to minimize harm should conflict be necessary. It is a way of being, which is not appropriate for children or teens, because they lack the proper emotional maturity.

Some lack maturity some don't,,,,I know young black belts who fit your criteria including emotional maturity!!!!

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
This topic has been done to death, but usually the topics that come up over and over again continue to do so for a reason....because people feel passionately about the topic. I personally dont believe kids should get black belts, a poom belt or probationary black belt is ok, but not the equivilent one to an adult. What does a black belt mean to me? I have had my say on the subject many times, but right now Im off to shotokan and Im running late :)

Unreal Combat

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
In my art, Kickboxing, the belt you have is irrelevant to your fighting experience. Sure, it shows you are at a specific level, but anyone can sit in a gym hitting pads and sparring all week. The real experience, and true test of your ability, both mental and physical, is getting in the ring and applying it.

So what does it mean to me? It means you have learnt the basics. Nothing more, nothing less. It's a nice achievement, won't take that away from anyone, but there's so much more past that if someone wants it.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
In my art, Kickboxing, the belt you have is irrelevant to your fighting experience. Sure, it shows you are at a specific level, but anyone can sit in a gym hitting pads and sparring all week. The real experience, and true test of your ability, both mental and physical, is getting in the ring and applying it.

So what does it mean to me? It means you have learnt the basics. Nothing more, nothing less. It's a nice achievement, won't take that away from anyone, but there's so much more past that if someone wants it.
So if you consider a first dan to be someone who has learnt the basics, what do you consider a third or fourth dan, for instance?

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
To me, a black belt is a belt thats black, and a person wearing it is a person thats wearing a black belt. Ive never seen it as a representation of skill or ability.
The belt represents their progress in the standards of their system. My belt represents my progress in the system im learning. That system is neither the peak or nadir of what i can do, nor is any system the peak or nadir of what someone else can do. A totally inexperienced person can take a black belt grandmaster any day, with a good plan (Im not referring to sparring). So with that being said, you can attach whatever standards and values to the belt you like. Theyre like ribbons at community events, and about as varied in who gives them out. Sometimes you need to strive long and hard for them, other times you just need to look good on the day.

In my opinion, of course. I know plenty of people value the things.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I consider a 1st Dan to be one who has developed a respectable level of expertise in the basics of the art and can teach those skills to others. They should have a suitable level of maturity as well. I'm not a fan of baby black belts but recognise that maturity and age are not directly linked, so prefer to have age guidelines rather than rules.

Drasken

Brown Belt
Reaction score
A black belt is a personal achievement, but to me it honestly means nothing. I've seen black belts that obviously didn't have the skill that one would expect of a black belt. While I've seen people with lower belts that had amazing levels of talent and skill. It varies from person to person. It also depends on the school and their regulations on attaining belt rankings.

So personally I usually use the quote from Karate Kid. "Color of belt doesn't matter. Belt's only purpose is to hold up pants."

Not to belittle those who have worked their butts off for their belts. Much respect to those who have received their belts as a reward for their blood sweat and tears. But my point is that, even if a belt was not awarded for rank, the skills you have attained and the work you put in should still be respected. The belt is a token, nothing more. And considering different schools, even within the same style, have different ideas and regulations reguarding belt ranking.... Well I can't see why so much emphasis is placed on belt ranking.

Unreal Combat

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So if you consider a first dan to be someone who has learnt the basics, what do you consider a third or fourth dan, for instance?

Someone with the commitment to master the basics and then learn more advanced techniques.

Training doesn't end at Black Belt, it's only just beginning.

OP
R

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score
Some lack maturity some don't,,,,I know young black belts who fit your criteria including emotional maturity!!!!

American society puts limits on youths, because through science and other social measures, we know that young people, including teens, are still developing emotional, cognitive and psychological elements in his or her personality. While a child may be mature for his or her age, that maturity is not equivalent to an adult. Children are not permitted to vote, drink, own guns, rent hotel rooms, et cetera. Age, per se, is not alone a measure of maturity, but it is an important guideline upon which our society operates. It is odd that some MA schools or teachers believe their students are different.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I consider a 1st Dan to be one who has developed a respectable level of expertise in the basics of the art and can teach those skills to others. They should have a suitable level of maturity as well. I'm not a fan of baby black belts but recognise that maturity and age are not directly linked, so prefer to have age guidelines rather than rules.

I wouldn't normally consider a 1st Dan to be a teaching rank. Of course, a lot depends on how long it takes to get to 1st Dan in a given system. For me, 1st dans, with few exceptions, should be focused on training, not distracted by teaching. But if it takes 5+ years to reach 1st Dan I'd probably feel differently. Since I teach and train in Korea and it only takes about a year to reach 1st Dan, I don't feel like 1st dans should be teaching.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Children are not permitted to vote, drink, own guns, rent hotel rooms, et cetera.

Totally, totally off topic here, but i feel the need to comment that in some countries, minors can drink so long as theyre at home, and an adult buys it for them. Australia used to be like that, but im not up to date enough on the law to know if thats still the case. Im pretty sure it is though.

OP
R

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score
Totally, totally off topic here, but i feel the need to comment that in some countries, minors can drink so long as theyre at home, and an adult buys it for them. Australia used to be like that, but im not up to date enough on the law to know if thats still the case. Im pretty sure it is though.

In many European countries, there is no drinking age. That is correct.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
From what people are posting, I think we can conclude that the meaning of a black belt is totally subjective. And really, like it or not, kids with black belts are widespread enough that I don't necessarily think that maturity has much to do with the black belt any more, outside of individual schools/associations who happen to not allow kids with black belts.

OP
R

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score
I wouldn't normally consider a 1st Dan to be a teaching rank. Of course, a lot depends on how long it takes to get to 1st Dan in a given system. For me, 1st dans, with few exceptions, should be focused on training, not distracted by teaching. But if it takes 5+ years to reach 1st Dan I'd probably feel differently. Since I teach and train in Korea and it only takes about a year to reach 1st Dan, I don't feel like 1st dans should be teaching.

Even in Korea, where I have been on different occasions, dan members are looked at as leaders and models of the art. However, my relatives complain that the growing number of poom bbs and teen bbs is a result of the Olympics and American marketing.

OP
R

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score
From what people are posting, I think we can conclude that the meaning of a black belt is totally subjective. And really, like it or not, kids with black belts are widespread enough that I don't necessarily think that maturity has much to do with the black belt any more, outside of individual schools/associations who happen to not allow kids with black belts.

You are right.

OP
R

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score

Where in Korea?

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Even in Korea, where I have been on different occasions, dan members are looked at as leaders and models of the art. However, my relatives complain that the growing number of poom bbs and teen bbs is a result of the Olympics and American marketing.

Leaders, maybe, but I wouldn't say teachers. At our dojang we have quite a few black belts, but only about four or five of us teach. A colored belt might ask a black belt for assistance with something like a move in poomse, but at least in our dojang, those black belts are very seldom doing much actual teaching. Of course, that's just our dojang, and it's possible that others have a different experience.