Black Belt Test

rlobrecht

Brown Belt
Reaction score
My son and I tested for 1st Dan on Saturday. It took us just over three years to get to this point. There were two adults, one teen, and three children testing.

Te test consisted of:
10 patterns, Chon Ji through Choong Moo, plus one of our own making
33 techniques/ combinations against bags and targets (1 minute each side)
8 nunchuk techniques
6 basic escrima strikes and blocks
12 self defense techniques (although we only tested one different one each)
Sparring - 6 two minute matches
Board break with side fist and step behind side kick

We finished the test with a traditional Korean meal. Our school has a tradition that you must eat squid and kimchi before you can call yourself a black belt.

Eternal_Martial_Arts_Black_Belt_Test_05-21-2011_131045.JPG

My son and I (in the middle) and our Kyosanim and Sabumnim.

More pictures

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that is wonderful that you could do it together as father and son! Warmest congrats.
:)

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Congrats on your bb. This is the first step on a long journey. I wish you success in the years to come.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
My son and I tested for 1st Dan on Saturday.

Many congratulations! Welcome to "the club" :)

We finished the test with a traditional Korean meal. Our school has a tradition that you must eat squid and kimchi before you can call yourself a black belt.

I think this is a lovely tradition... We had nothing like this, but I like the quirky initiation ceremony bits like this (like BJJ's slapping with the belts or hands).

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Congratulations on your accomplishment! Sounds like a lot of fun and hard work. I hope you both stay with the training.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So which was harder for you? The kimchi or the actual test?

Congrats!

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Congratulations to both and wellcome aboard the black belt train, a circle has closed and now a new circle will open, keep in the right path my friend and treasure all the moments with your son.

Manny

OP
rlobrecht

rlobrecht

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Thanks to you all.

So which was harder for you? The kimchi or the actual test?

The test was hard. The kimchi was ok. I washed it down with some rice and hot sauce, and it was all good. :)

Yes, we're still training. Two hour class tonight.

Thanks again,
Rick

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Great job to you Rick and your son!!! Welcome to the dan club and keep training!

I initially started training in TKD because of my daughter, and we both achieved BB dan level together too, it's a great bonding experience. :asian:

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
First, congratulations to father and son for attaining their BB together. I think that is so wonderful. Glad to see you both are going to stay with it. Keep us up to date as you progress. Sounds like you have a good school there. I like the tradition of squid and kimchi.

My wife makes good kim chi and the best tweng jiggi (spelling?) soup. Thats it, Im going to have to have korean bbq for dinner tonight now:)

I think you may be talking about Tuenjang Chigae. A lot of Tuenjang in a soup with whatever else the cook feels like putting in. Usually vegetables, maybe a protein such a pork or beef, even sea food. My wife makes if often. Too often for me. I like all Korean food, but it is easy to make, and she has fibromyalgia, so easy is good from her perspective. But she makes other food as well thankfully.

Puunui - I don't have a clue where you could find someone, or even a book to teach kimchi making. It is made differently in different areas of Korea, and in summer and winter. Also, there are many different kinds of kimchi. If you only say kimchi, people understand cabbage kimchi. But there is kimchi made from other vegetables as well, such as turnip and cucumber.

Maybe if there is a Korean supermarket near you that makes it on site you could ask.

Latest Discussions