flexibility training for twist kick

sajumikey

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi all, anyone got any good flexibility tips for the twist kick

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
You should train flexibilty for only one kick but rather all around or overall flexibility should be trained. Doing so will help all your kicks including your "twist kick".

I assume that a twist kick is a XMA type kick, maybe a "B twist"? Please explain, what is a twist kick?

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm assuming he means bituro chagi -

It's quite specific in it's flexibility requirements in comparison to most other Taekwondo kicks. As it's more of an ITF technique, I never practice it (and with my torn cartilage I dare not now).

Good luck to the OP though...

Last edited by a moderator:

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm assuming he means bituro chagi -

It's quite specific in it's flexibility requirements in comparison to most other Taekwondo kicks. As it's more of an ITF technique, I never practice it (and with my torn cartilage I dare not now).

Good luck to the OP though...

I don't like that kick

Last edited by a moderator:

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Interesting kick....I'd never have that flexibility...

but the version I know is a nice variation of a front kick.
When you get up on the ball of the foot you are standing on you can kind of kick around a corner so to speak.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi all, anyone got any good flexibility tips for the twist kick

If you're talking about bituro chagi I'd suggest doing a couple of things. Firstly, remember that the low and middle versions of this kick are different than the high version (the one in the youtube video that was posted). A high twisting kick is for attacking someone to the side-rear and, as such, requires much, much more flexibility than the other two versions (and flexibility of a somewhat different nature). The best things to develop this kick, IMO, are executing front rising kicks on a regular basis, as well as stretches such as the front splits.

Low and middle twisting kicks are different. Low twisting kicks have the body in a front facing position while the kick reaches the target is an outcurving line. Stretches such as the butterfly (sitting with the soles of the feet touching and pressing the knees to the floor) are good for this flexibility. Middle twisting kicks are similar except the body is in more of a half facing or even side facing position. This body position actually seems to help get the height needed for this level, but stretches such as the butterfly are important, too.

You might also simply try sitting on the floor with your legs straight and attempting to touch the outer edges of your feet (the footswords) to the floor. (This can also be done laying down.) It's easier to do this one leg at a time.

Pax,

Chris

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Perhaps because H.C. Hwang is often photgraphed executing a similar kick.

Perhaps. Or perhaps it is because the kick is featured in GM HWANG Kee's 1958 book Tang Soo Do Kyobon, which was published before General Choi started publishing his martial arts books.

OP
S

sajumikey

White Belt
Reaction score
If you're talking about bituro chagi

You might also simply try sitting on the floor with your legs straight and attempting to touch the outer edges of your feet (the footswords) to the floor. (This can also be done laying down.) It's easier to do this one leg at a time.

Pax,

Chris

That would help, because when I try the kick it is the blade (footsword ) I am striking with rather than the instep or ball, so I figure I need to get more flexibility into my hips, now I should say that I am only back training after a long lay off

StagTown

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I use this kick quite a lot and find the seatedhipstretch is one excercise that increases the required flexability

OP
S

sajumikey

White Belt
Reaction score
I use this kick quite a lot and find the seatedhipstretch is one excercise that increases the required flexability

Can you give a description of the seated hip stretch, I also saw one on a yoga clip, this involved kneeling on a pad or box about 10-12 inches high with one knee, and then lifting the knee that is on the floor above the height of the knee on the box just using your hip, do a couple of reps and then change over, if stiffness is anything to go by, this is definitely using parts of my hip that I dont normally use

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thats the one, flexibility required seems different to normal kicks because I think you need a lot more flexibility in the hips

Sajumikey.... Are you Sajoonim Michael Burnett of the International Kido Federation? He's the only one I know who uses that title.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you're talking about bituro chagi I'd suggest doing a couple of things. Firstly, remember that the low and middle versions of this kick are different than the high version (the one in the youtube video that was posted). A high twisting kick is for attacking someone to the side-rear and, as such, requires much, much more flexibility than the other two versions (and flexibility of a somewhat different nature). The best things to develop this kick, IMO, are executing front rising kicks on a regular basis, as well as stretches such as the front splits.

Low and middle twisting kicks are different. Low twisting kicks have the body in a front facing position while the kick reaches the target is an outcurving line. Stretches such as the butterfly (sitting with the soles of the feet touching and pressing the knees to the floor) are good for this flexibility. Middle twisting kicks are similar except the body is in more of a half facing or even side facing position. This body position actually seems to help get the height needed for this level, but stretches such as the butterfly are important, too.

Pax,

Chris

I agree. You can also increase your flexibility for the foot position by stretching 1 leg in, 1 straight, grab the ball of your foot on the extended leg, and then turn the footsword (out edge) the floor. Hold the stretch for a count of 10.

When that one becomes easy, while maintaining the stretch and hold on your foot, lift the
extended leg, first to the front and then to the outside of the body -ultimately, you want to be able to extend your leg, pivoting at the hip, until your leg is extended next to your ear. Of course, for many people, this ultimate position is only a theory... but I've seen it done. :)

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u

Latest Discussions