Best fighting stance

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello everyone
I have tried many different martial arts
I am a karate black belt,a boxer competed in 3 national events , a jiu jitsu purple belt and i have trained greco-roman wrestling.
Every martial art has it's own fighting stance and i am wondering what stance is better for fighting
Thank you all
The best stance for fighting is both feet facing away from danger and moving rapidly away from it.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have to go to the MOSW to learn those.
It was closed down in ‘governmental streamlining’ in the 1980s but a few of the original staff were deployed to the Department of Silly Faces.

marvin8

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Stance depends on the theater.
Are you doing MMA, boxing, wrestling? Or do you mean actual combat? Military type, professional Violence engagement or perhaps you are referring to self defense...ok, is it bar room hierarchical dominance monkey dance or actual home invasion type criminal Violence?
I'll will answer the last two from that list. Most encounters don't have time to worry about stance. It's over to quick and most times they didn't see it coming.
If you are standing, you're in a stance. How you position your hands, shift your weight and step comes through proper training. Per the dictionary, combat/a fight is fighting regardless of venue. If you are doing MMA, you may have a TMA background and train in boxing, wrestling, BJJ and muay thai in all ranges.

MMA skills worked in a bar and home invasion...

Xaana BrozaK
Jun 30, 2021

Balboa then seemingly began to pantomime a strike, and before he could complete his motion, the well-trained Schilling reflexively landed a short right hook, followed by a left, which knocked out the abrasive Florida Man who works as a busboy at an Outback Steakhouse:

8xWKKxy.gif

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There is no one "Best stance." The stance you take is determined by the techniques your opponent is trying to use against you and the techniques you are trying to use against your opponent.

However, with that said. The reality is that your best stance is the one that allows you to exploit your strengths while taking advantage of your opponent's weaknesses. In this case, your stance will often not be the recommended stance to use against your opponent, but it will be the recommended stance that you'll use to make the most of your strengths.

callagon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I mean the most completed fighting stance for more effective attack and defence
Ei, I think it would make sense if you were more fluid in stances than choosing one or another. if you wanted to take the fight to the ground a high stance wouldn't make sense, whereas a wide low knee stance wouldn't be useful if you were angling for a cross. if you're thinking of a starting stance, then I'd settle for a neutral stance that allows you to go in either direction. I think the real key is to get into the stance without tipping your hand into what your planning.

Teapot

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Interestingly, what Gabriel Varga said here aligns with how I was taught.

Despite being a pro kickboxer, his approach to dealing with an altercation outside of the ring is quite different than in the ring.

He says that he does not want to get into a classic fighting stance.

I was taught the same thing because it comes down to body language. If I actually care about self-defense, I don't want to have my body language to convey: "I am ready to fight you!"

I want my hands ready, but I don't want my body language to provoke the opponent. And besides... this is sneakier. If I do attack, it comes out of an unassuming body language.

It seems to me that the idea of a classic "fighting stance" originates from a duelist mentality where the context is that two people are ready to have a duel. Non-provoking body language doesn't matter in this case because there's already an agreement that they will fight each other. Both parties already consented to this.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was taught the same thing because it comes down to body language. If I actually care about self-defense, I don't want to have my body language to convey: "I am ready to fight you!"
This should be in context of not being attacked yet. This mindset changes the moment the attacker comes at you.

The classical fight stance comes from when people are attacking you. if I came at you swinging, you will eventually get into that classical fight stance. The fight stance also can make your attacker less willing to continue the attack.