Does a stance define a fighting style?

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I been expirementing with another nuetral fighting stance position and I honestly feel like I am enjoying it more. The issue is does that mean I am not really doing my martial art right?

I know this is a question for my instructors but they aren't here right now, I mean I don't think they'd appreciate it if I call them up at 10pm to ask them this. Which is why I'm asking you guys who may have had similar experience.

The stance is basically like a front stance in Kenpo only with the knees a little bent, the foot is facing 3 o clock while the back door is facing forward. The torso is facing forward as well and hands are up almost like a boxers stance I guess.

I feel in this stance I can still do all of my kicks well and I have quicker access to all of my punches, in general I feel like this stance gives me quicker hand motion than the conventional karate stance where you are sideways and have your rear hand lower and your front hand in front of you.

Is this a bad thing to be doing? If one of your students used a fighting stance they are much more comfortable with would it be an issue with you?

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Our dojo and other along its lineage really leans on crab style or philly shell type defense and stance.

6jhpp2.png

To qoute Atlee Chittim:

While serving as regional director, Mr. Chittim was remember for the following quotation found in the constitution of the United States Karate Association. "Let me stress to the membership that they keep an open mind and choose from the various styles of karate the things that work for them. Fight rough and tough so as to show the matchless American fighting ability.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We where advised not to be creative in the early years. Then, we where incentivated to develop our personal style.

I "invented" a few things that seem great against a few partners. After a while it showed not to be so great and I returned to the original way, most of the time. :)

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with doing your own thing if you're just competing or something but making your own stance when you test for belts isn't the best idea. Especially higher levels since they'll expect you to teach

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
My instructor emphasises to do the stances by the book during drills and forms, but during sparring it's up to me to interpret those movements and find what works for me. Remember that everyone is different, which means having to adapt the stances and techniques to suit your body.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My take on a stance is it is a period of transition and not a fixed static posture.
My take is what position is the best to deal with the threat in front of me how I stand to defend a knife may differ from how I deal with an opponent who has a bat. As the transition to deal with the force is different

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I been expirementing with another nuetral fighting stance position and I honestly feel like I am enjoying it more. The issue is does that mean I am not really doing my martial art right?

I know this is a question for my instructors but they aren't here right now, I mean I don't think they'd appreciate it if I call them up at 10pm to ask them this. Which is why I'm asking you guys who may have had similar experience.

The stance is basically like a front stance in Kenpo only with the knees a little bent, the foot is facing 3 o clock while the back door is facing forward. The torso is facing forward as well and hands are up almost like a boxers stance I guess.

I feel in this stance I can still do all of my kicks well and I have quicker access to all of my punches, in general I feel like this stance gives me quicker hand motion than the conventional karate stance where you are sideways and have your rear hand lower and your front hand in front of you.

Is this a bad thing to be doing? If one of your students used a fighting stance they are much more comfortable with would it be an issue with you?
Stances tend to define your tactics and strategy more so than your fighting style. Eventually you'll discover the pros and cons of the stance that you are experimenting with. After a while you'll discover that there's no "one size fits all" stance and that you'll switch stances based on your tactics and strategy. For example, your same stance would not be idea to use against a BJJ practitioner.

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
A fighting stance should be fluid and based on the situation and distance. The further you are, the lower my hands, so I can see a bit better (never lower than my chest tho). As we close the distance, my hands come up a bit higher. Regardless of what style of kung fu I'm using or was taught, I always fight out of a Sanda stance. I don't usually use the traditional wing chun stance unless I'm activly trying to use my Wing Chun only, and I need a bit of a reminder not to do a spinning hook kick or something.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The stance is basically like a front stance in Kenpo only with the knees a little bent, the foot is facing 3 o clock while the back door is facing forward.
If your left front foot is pointing to your right, you have exposed your ankle to your opponent's "foot sweep".

Expose your ankle and expose your elbow joint are both NO NO in MA.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
If your left front foot is pointing to your right, you have exposed your ankle to your opponent's "foot sweep".

Expose your ankle and expose your elbow joint are both NO NO in MA.

Disagree. Maybe a no no in your specific style.

But I don't think having your foot facing to the right is some universal no no.

Last edited:

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Usually, you are learning a stance in the definitely in the beginning, and sometimes into intermediate rank stages, to teach you something. Balance, posture, foot position, body position, etc. I'd be surprised if you didn't already know 4 or 5 stances, designed for different things, and to teach/train different things. I personally think that being able to flow from one stance to another smoothly, or into and out of a neutral stance is probably best for fighting/sparring, too. I've been told I stand like a JKD practitioner, and I've absolutely no clue if that's true or not, never having anything closer to JKD than watching Bruce on VHS. I "thought" I stood like a melting pot of thai boxer and upright judoka, with my hands slightly closer to my head and face than is typical just because eI prefer that so as to avoid having my bell rung. And this is where I do my aikido to, in free form... though not while teaching as I'm not sure that it would translate... the "why" I stand that way. There's no reason at all I can think of for my aikido brown belt with the green belt in judo to stand like a thai boxer... he doesn't know how, nor does he want to, kick.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Disagree. Maybe a no no in your specific style.

But I don't think having your foot facing to the right is some universal no no.

I was taught a similar footing way back in the day when I studied karate. It's a strong stance you can "settle" into. It's not combatively effective, however. By turning in the foot, it's no longer in line with the knee and this causes an instability in the knee. It's not good for load bearing. It's bad body mechanics.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was taught a similar footing way back in the day when I studied karate. It's a strong stance you can "settle" into. It's not combatively effective, however. By turning in the foot, it's no longer in line with the knee and this causes an instability in the knee. It's not good for load bearing. It's bad body mechanics.

Yeah I'm seeing it now. I just pictured the stance wrong in my head.

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Our dojo and other along its lineage really leans on crab style or philly shell type defense and stance.

Rather partial to the stances of shrimp fist.
(Thundering Mantis movie reference)
6jhpp2.png

To qoute Atlee Chittim:

While serving as regional director, Mr. Chittim was remember for the following quotation found in the constitution of the United States Karate Association. "Let me stress to the membership that they keep an open mind and choose from the various styles of karate the things that work for them. Fight rough and tough so as to show the matchless American fighting ability.

Martial_Kumite

Green Belt
Reaction score
If it is a rank test, it might not be the right time or place to go off the books. But during a sparring match, why not. There is no real "right" way to stand, there is only ways that work for the person doing them. I am personally fond of a mix between a Gu Jul stance and a horse stance when sparring. But during basics or forms, I mostly just stay by the book to build a foundation.

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Any stance should follow stability, mobility and protection. Protection against ________ changes how you want to stand. Ex. A pointfighting side stance will get you killed in a muay Thai match because the back of your knee is exposed, and a traditional muay Thai stance will get you killed in a wrestling match because you're standing too upright etc.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A fighting stance should be fluid and based on the situation and distance. The further you are, the lower my hands, so I can see a bit better (never lower than my chest tho). As we close the distance, my hands come up a bit higher. Regardless of what style of kung fu I'm using or was taught, I always fight out of a Sanda stance. I don't usually use the traditional wing chun stance unless I'm activly trying to use my Wing Chun only, and I need a bit of a reminder not to do a spinning hook kick or something.
this really, you shouldn't be stood in a stance, you should transition through a stance in to action, either forward to attack or away out of range. If they are close enough to hit or closing rapidly, don't just stand there, move

Last edited:

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any stance should follow stability, mobility and protection. Protection against ________ changes how you want to stand. Ex. A pointfighting side stance will get you killed in a muay Thai match because the back of your knee is exposed, and a traditional muay Thai stance will get you killed in a wrestling match because you're standing too upright etc.
Question: Muay Thai vs. wrestler... Who wins?

Sorry, it was right there... had to do it.

I don't want anyone to think we should go off on a rabbit trail of, "Well, if the Thai boxer catches the wrestler in mid-shoot with a rising knee, man that's too bad but if the wrestler gets the leg then..." Ah, well.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure I am quite getting it. Is it a stance you saw somewhere else? or came up with on your own.

I'd have to wager, that if it is effective, it is probably in an MA somewhere.

With what I am picturing, if you are in a kenpo neutral bow stance. Some lineages will rotate the rear foot/heel to throw a punch in the front stance without also rotating the front foot (keeping it at the 45 degree angle).

I cannot picture the front foot pointing towards 3 o'clock though, what is the width/length of the stance?