Good fighting stance for palm strikes.

Ram

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I decided about a month and a half ago that I was going to try to develop my palm strikes into a personal technique to use while fighting. I have had good success so far in learning Iron Palm. I am currently hitting a bag of brown sugar wrapped in duct tape every day. The good part is that the more I hit it the more compact and hard the sugar becomes. I have been working with my Sifu on making my palms have more impact on the heavy bag also. There is a lot more I could mention but you get the idea.
Well I use to do Shaolin Kempo Karate. I then went to Muay Thai/Jujitsu(the Jujitsu class was right after the Muay Thai so I stayed for both). I also wrestled Greco-roman. Currently I go to a Tai Chi/Choy Lee Fut dojo that also dose MMA.
The problem I am currently having is that my default stance that I am most comfortable with while fighting in is a Muay Thai stance. Now I have found palms,knees,elbows, and grappling to be my best attacks.The problem with the Muay Thai stance is that I have trouble working my palms from it but have not found a stance that I feel comfortable throwing plams,knees,and elbows from.I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on stance variations that might be worth a try?

Shinzu

White Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
why not try a relaxed fighting stance. i feel that this works best for different techniques that are needed quickly.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
why not try a relaxed fighting stance. i feel that this works best for different techniques that are needed quickly.

Beat me to it...

Since most real confrontations occur when you are NOT "ready" in a sparring or fighting stance, training to throw one of the best techniques from a natural or unrehearsed position makes the most sense.

However; that being said, boxing stances work fine and you can replace most of your boxing punches with palm-heels - but your footwork must be very good because you lose some extension. Ned Beaumont discusses and recommends this in his "Championship Streetfighting" book on boxing for self-defence.

BTW, Welcome to Martial Talk.

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Kenpo's Neutral Bow is far and away my favorite of all the stances I've learned from my (chronologically ordered) Japanese, Korean, and Chinese martial arts.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beat me to it...

Since most real confrontations occur when you are NOT "ready" in a sparring or fighting stance, training to throw one of the best techniques from a natural or unrehearsed position makes the most sense.

However; that being said, boxing stances work fine and you can replace most of your boxing punches with palm-heels - but your footwork must be very good because you lose some extension. Ned Beaumont discusses and recommends this in his "Championship Streetfighting" book on boxing for self-defence.

BTW, Welcome to Martial Talk.

You and Shinzu both beat me to it!! LOL! I agree with the boxing stance as well. Sometimes when I'm working on the focus mitts, I'll substitute a hook with a palm strike.

I also agree with the neutral stance or a stance that is slightly bladed, with your hands up in a non-threatening manner.

Mike

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You and Shinzu both beat me to it!! LOL! I agree with the boxing stance as well. Sometimes when I'm working on the focus mitts, I'll substitute a hook with a palm strike.

I also agree with the neutral stance or a stance that is slightly bladed, with your hands up in a non-threatening manner.

Mike
I love that "hands up in a non-threatening manner"! So much to do from there.

And I agree, a nice relaxed stance or boxing stance is great for palm heels.

Jeff

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Watch some Pancrase fights, closed fist strikes are illegal to the head, so fighters made very good use of open hand strikes.

OP
Ram

Ram

Orange Belt
Reaction score
It seems to me that open palm strikes work best as Strikes/push or as a hard grab. Also when hitting a hard object without gloves or when your fist has sustained injury.

OP
Ram

Ram

Orange Belt
Reaction score
While I am not sure if this is a palm or a knife hand it is a heck of a open hand strike.:eek:verkill:

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Ram

Ram

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I love that "hands up in a non-threatening manner"! So much to do from there.

Looks good in court too.:hammer:

Shinzu

White Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
the "hands up" look also distracts your opponent for a second. his focus will be changed giving you the advantage. i like the idea!