Best fighting stance

Ei.p

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone
I have tried many different martial arts
I am a karate black belt,a boxer competed in 3 national events , a jiu jitsu purple belt and i have trained greco-roman wrestling.
Every martial art has it's own fighting stance and i am wondering what stance is better for fighting
Thank you all

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk, Ei.

To your question, fighting in what?

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone
I have tried many different martial arts
I am a karate black belt,a boxer competed in 3 national events , a jiu jitsu purple belt and i have trained greco-roman wrestling.
Every martial art has it's own fighting stance and i am wondering what stance is better for fighting
Thank you all
From everything you just said, it looks like everyone should be asking you.

OP
E

Ei.p

White Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk, Ei.

To your question, fighting in what?
I mean the most completed fighting stance for more effective attack and defence

OP
E

Ei.p

White Belt
Reaction score
From everything you just said, it looks like everyone should be asking you.
I have no idea. It's my first time in last 15 years in martial arts with this wondering haha

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess everyone will have their preference, maybe even depending on situation. I prefer Hu Gul Jaseh.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I will suggest 3-7 stance with 30% weight on front leg and 70% weight on back leg. 4-6 stance is OK too, but it's dangerous from your opponent's single leg attack.

If your stance is too

- wide, you have to watch for your opponent's single leg attack.
- narrow, you have to watch for your opponent's double legs attack.

If you put too

- much weight front, your opponent will sweep you.
- little weight front, your opponent will run you down.

If your stance is too

- high, you have too much area to cover.
- low, your mobility can be slow.

Last edited:

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
This is like asking what the most important position in football is.

Different stances have different purposes. For example, try punching from kokutsu dachi. You're not going to reach. But you'll be like a statue in that same kokutsu dachi when you're blocking.

marvin8

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Your stance/position should be in relation to your opponent's stance/position. Fighting is a dance that you lead.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is like asking what the most important position in football is.

Different stances have different purposes. For example, try punching from kokutsu dachi. You're not going to reach. But you'll be like a statue in that same kokutsu dachi when you're blocking.
I assume OP is asking for "ready" fighting stance. May be 2 feet away from your kicking range before your opponent starts to attack you?

Last edited:

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I assume OP is asking for "ready" fighting stance.
Any stance can be an effective "ready" stance as long as you retain mobility in any direction (there are exceptions as stated below) including just standing in a natural stance.
Your stance/position should be in relation to your opponent's stance/position
The opposite is also true. Your stance is much like a guard in that it conveys information to your opponent as to vulnerabilities to attack and limitations on your immediate movement capabilities. The opponent will make his plans based partly on your stance. Changing stances will force him to change his plans. And like a guard, stance can be used to bait the opponent into an attack or position of your choosing as in the quote below:

a dance that you lead.

IMO, a stance is a tactical position that is fluid depending on the situation at a particular time. Asking, "What is the best fighting stance" is sort of like asking, "What's the best strike or kick." Another variable is what's comfortable for the particular fighter as well as which will enable him to facilitate his best attacks and strategy. There is no single answer.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Your stance is much like a guard in that it conveys information to your opponent as to vulnerabilities to attack and limitations on your immediate movement capabilities.
Agree with you 100% there. For example, you can always stay in bow-arrow stance to bait your opponent's foot sweep. When your opponent sweeps you, you turn your shin bone into his sweep, catch his sweeping leg, and take him down.

marvin8

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Any stance can be an effective "ready" stance as long as you retain mobility in any direction (there are exceptions as stated below) including just standing in a natural stance.
The preferred ready stance is outside of the attacking range. So, the opponent has to step to reach me.

The opposite is also true.
Not opposite. You are describing a similar concept.

Your stance is much like a guard in that it conveys information to your opponent as to vulnerabilities to attack and limitations on your immediate movement capabilities. The opponent will make his plans based partly on your stance. Changing stances will force him to change his plans. And like a guard, stance can be used to bait the opponent into an attack or position of your choosing as in the quote below:
One example of the concept is the Pull Counter: I move into a front stance to bait you to punch my face. As you change to strike my face, I change my stance by transferring my weight to the back foot while landing my hook on your face (simultaneous defense/offense).

IMO, a stance is a tactical position that is fluid depending on the situation at a particular time.
Like a dance, the stance is fluid with the opponent.

Asking, "What is the best fighting stance" is sort of like asking, "What's the best strike or kick."
The optimal stance depends on your purpose and the stance/position of the opponent. Lure your opponent into position. Then, change (e.g., attack) when they are double weighted (can't change).

Another variable is what's comfortable for the particular fighter as well as which will enable him to facilitate his best attacks and strategy. There is no single answer.
There is bad and good timing.

Bad timing: Rountree's "timing is off." He lifts his leg to kick (changes) when opponent is in a neutral fighting stance (not double weighted). The opponent sees that, pushes off the front foot (changes) and evades his kick.

Good timing: Rountree baits opponent to change (attack). As the opponent “loads up weight onto his [front] leg [double weighted],” Rountree kicks (changes) tearing his opponent's knee ligaments.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These are the very best fighting stances and double-up as great dance floor moves. La conversacion se termine 😑
C4061872-5E45-4363-A762-92DC6E8D0B22.jpeg

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Stance depends on the theater.
Are you doing MMA, boxing, wrestling? Or do you mean actual combat? Military type, professional Violence engagement or perhaps you are referring to self defense...ok, is it bar room hierarchical dominance monkey dance or actual home invasion type criminal Violence?
I'll will answer the last two from that list. Most encounters don't have time to worry about stance. It's over to quick and most times they didn't see it coming.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree with what Hoshin said. If you are talking about combat sports, it is going to depend on your ruleset. If you are talking about applying it to self-defense you are going to adapt a "stance" that doesn't look like a stance that allows you to react when they get to close to either reset your distance or attack.

In general, if you are trying to apply it to an MMA ruleset, your stance is going to be based on your primary attack platform while also being able to respond to punches/kicks/shoots.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Puff out your chest, and throw your hands back starting from your shoulders, in a sudden jerky move. Do this as you close in on your opponent, while sticking your head out in front of you. There's a small risk of exposing everything to be hit, but it shows dominance and that's what's important.
Outside of that, really depends on your situation. Not going through the list as Hoshin did already. I'm a fan of the "fence" for self-defense, as a general base. If you haven't heard of it before, look up "the fence self defense" on google or youtube, and I'm sure a ton of videos showing it will come up.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A fight is fluid, thus no one stance is always correct. In the striking phase feet closer together is favored for mobility, in the grappling phase feet further apart is favored for stability in any stance. Thus balance, speed, and power require you to continuously change your footwork.

Fungus

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I agree that the optimal stance would depend on many things. I find myself adapting my stance depending on my opponent as well (if they back or push, or prefer kicking or punching range).

Here is a nice comparasion between three stances...
I am told alot by my trainers that I tend to have a bias too muach towards the TKD stance in my kyokushin stance(beeing vulnerable to leg sweep and ushiro mawashi geri in some angles), but it's because i feel most comfortable in the mid-range and that I intuitivel feel that my nuts are too exposed in a squared stance + I like reverse turning and spinning kicks, as they are better for my back issues. I also find it easier to block both sides with one arm them to coordinate two arms, but I think that is because I have to train more. If I decided for a pushing/striking attach I tend to adapt a more squared stance.

I am so new to this that I am still trying to find out what suites me the best.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions