Belt washing?

Cagekicker

White Belt
Reaction score
Ok, this is totally a new thing to me. I finally got my gi today. I've worn them in the past. Gi is required for this class. This is my first judo style gi. It's really heavy. All the others I've worn where not for grappling. Anyway my instructor told me today that I was not to wash my belt. He said it was tradition. ? What? Um I sweat like a waterfall! I'm sure my belt is going to get funky fast!! Anyway do you wash your belt?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, this is totally a new thing to me. I finally got my gi today. I've worn them in the past. Gi is required for this class. This is my first judo style gi. It's really heavy. All the others I've worn where not for grappling. Anyway my instructor told me today that I was not to wash my belt. He said it was tradition. ? What? Um I sweat like a waterfall! I'm sure my belt is going to get funky fast!! Anyway do you wash your belt?

The belt doesn't generally get nearly as nasty as the gi, because the gi itself soaks up most of the sweat. It's still a good idea to wash it occasionally. I wash my gi after every workout and my belt about once a week or so.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The story goes, I guess, that your first belt is white and over the years as you mature in the arts from rigorous training the white belt slowly turns dark and in time black.

Is it true? I don't know. Is it sanitary? I think not.

Was it ever a tradition? 45 years ago when I was a white belt, Sensei after class would sit everyone down and relate stories of Martial Arts he heard from his Sensei. It was also mentioned that because of all the blood sweat and tears that go into training, the belt never gets washed because it was a bad luck thing.

In those days it was also said that the belt was never to touch the floor and any belt that was found unattended to and laying on the floor, cost the owner of that belt many many push ups.

Now a days some people say that the belt is just there to hold the gi together. Myself, being an old traditionalist, still adhere to some of those old traditions so as to keep the karate I learned over many years alive in my heart.

To each their own....... :)

hussaf

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just as many people say that story is BS as say it's historically accurate, so who knows. I can tell you they pretty much don't wash their dogi in Japan...at least not yonshinai dojo. they leave them there and They are all hanging up.

I would be careful washing belts, especially colored ones. Obviously the colored ones can bleed and some of the nicer Blackbelts I've owned can get weird once you wash them...not sure if material. you really aren't going to need to wash it all that often. when I wash mine I put it in a bin of cold water and use a really mild detergent I bought from a fabric/hobby store my mother in law recommended.

You don't need a double weave uwagi, not really. It may be the preference of some, but a good single weave is less expensive and will serve you well. I actually get away with my karate uwagi in judo class every once in a while, but I wouldn't recommend it for daily use, would at least get the judo style top.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Good luck keeping your judo belt from touching the ground. :D

Wash the belt if it gets stinky (or bloody), I am pretty certain all of your knowledge won't go down the drain with the rest of the bacteria.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Then you have those very old threadbare black belts that a good washing would destroy. But, I guess the old guys wearing those old belts don't work out as much. But I digress....... :)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
To wash or not to wash.....been a discussion for as long as I can remember. I've never washed a Karate belt, probably never will. Washed my jits belt a couple times. But (IMO) grappling belts are a little different. Grappling gis are meant to open, the belt gets rubbed and crushed against your skin.....and HIS skin on a constant basis, as it does against the mat. All damn night long.

Nobody in my group washes their belts, not even my wife, who washes every damn thing. It was one of those things passed on to us by our old instructors. Maybe historical, maybe urban legend, maybe somebody made it up on a whim. (I can see them driving home, chuckling to themselves....that would be awesome! I hope that's what happened) We just took it and ran with it. Probably isn't going to change within our group, but if it does, that's okay, too.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have never washed any of my belts either. Interesting that my white Aikido belt didn't go anywhere near black even though I wore it for 5 years before they introduced coloured belts.
:asian:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Tradition is not to wash it, and not to let it touch the floor (unless you're falling/thrown, doing sit ups, etc.). Our tradition is to treat our uniforms and belts with respect; they're not to be thrown on the floor or left lying about untidily. There's no real mystic idea or "wash your memory/skills away" stuff... just part of having self discipline.

And if it gets bad enough, like training outdoors and it gets muddy... yeah, I'll wash it!

As an aside... I frequently get a laugh at those frayed and falling apart black belts... So often, the most ragged seem to be on the youngest black belts. (Not that I haven't seen a few that are clearly a case of using the same belt for decades of classes. Just plenty that there's no way the guy has put even a decade in...)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't generally wash belts, but if they're dirty, then of course they get washed. Mine is sort of white in some areas, but it's not because I've worn it for so long (the belt in question is a couple years old) but because I sweat. A lot. So there are salts left on the black. No biggy. If it stank, I'd wash it.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The first thing I did when I used to get a new coloured belt was wash it. If I didn't the colour would run into my gi when I was training.

As for not washing it, Kanō Jigorō introduced black belts in 1886, three years after he issued his first Shodan grades, so the story of your white belt turning black over the years is more romantic than factual.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tradition is one reason for not washing, another is that the fabric of some brands of belt seriously weaken when washed to the point I have seen them easily snap apart then pulled hard (in a tug of war).

I hang my belt up to air after every class, that seems enough to keep it sanitary even when getting very sweaty and years of use. If it got filthy I`d clean it carefully.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I can kind of see not washing the belt if you're in a strictly striking art with little or no direct contact. However, in a grappling art like BJJ, I can't imagine not washing my belt. I don't wash it every day, but as Tony said, at least once per week. It's fabric that is exposed to a lot of sweat, rolling on the floor. I spray my belt with odoban after every class, and wash it once every week or two.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure my "English respect" would allow me to wash my belt but I'm such an "unaware" person what would I know?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I keep my gear very clean.

reeskm

Green Belt
Reaction score
This is a fantastic question often fraught with debate but also great new ideas. I'm from one of the very few styles where black is not black but midnight blue in colour - The Korean Karate style of TangSooDo MooDukKwan. For perspective and reference:
  • we never washed our belts. major reason is this is the tradition. the second reason is that if you do, like i have by accident, the colour will start to bleed very badly and wash out. these belts are not meant for washing. Nothing is worse than our midnight blue colour washing out and turning blue-grey
  • my belts don't seem to get funky or go nasty at all. i don't sweat much around the waist, though. The belt I've worn the longest (current one) is now 3 years old.
  • has anybody thought about or tried a gentle steam cleaning or dry cleaning the belt?
There were some comments on etiquette and traditions. Here is my perspective:
  • the korean kwans (schools) were famous for their connection to the military. my personal view on this is that it has greatly influenced korean styles like ours. uniforms, including belts, are to be treated with great respect. military uniforms have clearly influenced korean martial arts uniforms. school patch always is over the heart (left side), for ex. So is your rank, like "sah bom" or "kyo sah" - if you are a certified master or instructor.
  • we too were taught that dropping your belt on the floor while changing, hanging it around our neck, or leaving it on the floor in a messy pile is a sign of great dis-respect to yourself and your art. it is similar in the military - you work hard for your rank and achievements, so always be proud of yourself and your uniform
  • i was taught that the belt has it's own "soul" - your own energy and spirit in training essential is symbolically put into your belt. the idea that your belt goes from white to black due to the amount of training you do is a myth or simplification, but the idea always was that your "knowledge" has colour that gets literally transferred to your belt, making it darker
  • in Moo Duk Kwan Tang Soo Do, the belt colours are representative of the Chinese classical 5 elements and represent the famous 5 animals (Wu Xing) - white, yellow/orange, green, red, dark blue
  • obviously, when practicing throws, takedowns, joint locks, ground work - dropping your belt on the floor dosen't matter anymore - what matters has to do with the idea of purposely putting the belt on the ground when not training. compare this with how the samurai treats his sword when not in combat
  • embroidery showing your personal name and stripes, and dan bon # should always be on the left side
  • while we're at it, i should mention that all patches should be affixed to school regulations and sewn on ASAP after being given them

A question to the Japanese stylists: I know these days a lot of very senior masters and black belts have that fantastic broken in and faded belt look. Is this only achievable by washing the belt? (I know some fading and fraying occurs over many years of wearing the belt without washing, but i'm talking about extreme wear)

Last edited:

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I haven't ever washed a belt and my BB is slowly fraying. Mine is from ordinary wear and tear but I do know of people rubbing their belts to get the frayed look.

Latest Discussions