Back from the 2007 Meet & Greet...

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
... and it was over too soon!

I'm posting this first to thank the instructors who came to the 2007 MartialTalk Meet & Greet in Buffalo this year and shared their broad and deep knowledge with us, along with Bob and the others who helped organize it, and my fellow MTers who showed up, provided such great comraderie and trained with such terrific intensity; and second in the hope of persuading as many members as possible to consider attending next year's M&G.

On the training side, we were given basic introductions to a very wide variety of MAs: Combat Hapkido, Aiki-jutsu, various FMAs including stick and knife applications, Wing Chun, Kenpo, and more (details are available at http://martialtalk.com/camp/buffalo2007/). Each session ran around half an hour, and the instructors packed a remarkable amount into each session. It wasn't just a matter of jamming in as much detail as possible; rather, I had the distinct sense that the instructors had very carefully thought out the basic principle, the `axioms' of their system, and presented these in basic, digestible form to us along with a number of well-chosen implementations—theory and practice, giving us as much of a chance as possible to see the core ideas both in their abstract form and at (hard) work on the mat. One of my cherished memories from this weekend will always be ending one of the sessions with this sense that this was an incredibly good training day, and bumping (probably literally; I was fairly disoriented at the end of some of these sessions... all those circular arts...) into Andy Moynihan, who greeted me by saying `I'm so glad I came to this, this is incredibly good training!', or something very close, echoing my own thoughts exactly... and I'm pretty sure we were all feeling exactly that.

One of the things that emerged, early on, for me anyway, was the remarkable convergence we were seeing amongst the various arts. Everyone is using both linear and circular moves, though the emphasis may differ; everyone is using interpolated strikes to set up diversions and (very painful!) distrctions as preparation for major disruptive techniques; everyone is targeting weak points on the head, neck/throat and a couple of other `high value' target regions; everyone is training very close quarters techs, because in the situations we really worry about—the unsought street attack—that's where the action is; everyone is looking to minimize input (use the lowest-energy-cost moves that can achieve the highest relative impact and forced compliance on the assailant). What I found particularly impressive was that everyone who was teaching had clearly defined the relevant problem as that of self-defense, rather than intra- or inter-art dueling. An extended training day or two such as the one we had on Saturday would, I'm pretty sure, shut down any inclination on anyone's part to speculate along is-art-A-more-street-effective-than-art-B? lines.

Apart from issues of content, I was also struck by the uniformly substance-based approach the instructors took. None of this `I'm a seventh-dan in such and such therefore you must do it this way solely on the basis of my word' sort of hierarchical style. All the presentations were evidence-based: 'if you do this, then this will happen; try it out with your partners and see for yourself', and of course, when you do it, `this' is exactly what happens—whether or not your partner wants it to. It was a great source of empathy, I think, that your instructor for one of the styles was going to be a fellow learner when the next style was presented; the lack of hierarchical posturing in the presentations on Saturday was probably inevitable, given that all the teachers were also learners. Thanks and kudos to all of our M&G instructors! (You'll get to see them at their dignified best when Bob posts the pictures from the weekend... :D)

As I say, my one regret was that it ended too soon. I wasn't quite ready to say goodbye to so many lovely people—everyone was even more excellent, when I finally got to meet them, than I had been anticipating—so soon. All good things must come to an end, but please not quite as quickly as all that... still, what we did get was great, and I hope that there will be even more (both in the way of people and of MAs represented in the training) next year. Thanks again to all who made it possible!
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree wholeheartedly. The way the M & G was structured, and the open mindedness of all the participants made for a great day of training.

It was particularly gratifying to see everyone take what was being taught, recognize the commonalitites, and experiment with how it could be adapted and incorporated in their own training. I think we all came away with something to play with in our own dojo's.

I'd like to thank all of the people that I worked with and those who volunteered to be uke for my segment :asian:, you all made for a great experience.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I'm not home yet stopped in Nashville for the night and enjoyed the pool and spa.

I would like to thank everyone as well, we had some great people there and not one time was rank ever mention which made this a very special weekend for me and my family.

I would also like to thank everybody for showing my sons a wonderful time and not making a big deal with them learning and training with us, that meant alot to me and my wife BORICUATKD better known here.

In closing I would like to say exile has so much info. and talent and morph was great being a yuki for me, carol and TKDgirl along with HKF and rich was fantastic.

Drac and Father Greet was impressive and please do not believe this crap that drac is a meer white belt he has talent. To the rest of everybody like Rich and Larry and Mbuzzy thank you all.

I was very glad we made the trip and I'm all ready looking forward to next years.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
please do not believe this crap that drac is a meer white belt he has talent

Don't listen to him folks..One too many hits in the head...LOL..I was IMPRESSED by the variety of talent present...I'm angry that my treasonous body gave out and I was forced to sit out the last hour..

jaybacca72

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Terry sorry i missed your session and didn't get to converse with you as much but definitely next time. it was my pleasure working with your son,he had a good training attitude i would work with him anytime.
later
Jason Arnold
CANADA

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Terry sorry i missed your session and didn't get to converse with you as much but definitely next time. it was my pleasure working with your son,he had a good training attitude i would work with him anytime.
later
Jason Arnold
CANADA

I thank you Jason and so does zachary he enjoyed it.

agemechanic03

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like everyone had a phenominal time!! I wish I could have been there, but Korea has put a hold on it and Germany will definately put a hold on it for the next 3yrs too :( I'm very saddened by this. But Welcome back to MT!!

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don't listen to him folks..One too many hits in the head...LOL..I was IMPRESSED by the variety of talent present...I'm angry that my treasonous body gave out and I was forced to sit out the last hour..

Don't blame your treasonous body Drac, Father Greek could have picked the young guys that heal quick to be uke's, but noooooooooo, he had to pick on us old guys, it's all his fault;)

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
... Apart from issues of content, I was also struck by the uniformly substance-based approach the instructors took. None of this `I'm a seventh-dan in such and such therefore you must do it this way solely on the basis of my word' sort of hierarchical style
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

Yes, that was a real important factor that was overlooked..There were some VERY TALENTED Instructors present and NO ONE lorded over the others with this "I'm a Xth Dan ranked instructor"..Everyone was approachable...I have attended seminars outside my discipline and seen the reverse side as I'm sure many of you have...

OP
exile

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
...There were some VERY TALENTED Instructors present and NO ONE lorded over the others with this "I'm a Xth Dan ranked instructor"..Everyone was approachable...I have attended seminars outside my discipline and seen the reverse side as I'm sure many of you have...

It was so nice being able to catch one or another of the instructors between breaks and ask them to explain a particular technique or concept again because it went by too fast the first (or even second) time. That approachability that you're talking about, Drac, is one of the keys to teaching: the most important qualities that an instructor in just about anything can possess are receptiveness and patence. That's one of the reason why a high degree of technical skill doesn't automatically translate into teaching effectiveness.

I think it's worth stressing this point because people who might want to go to this annual event but aren't very experienced in the MAs may need to be reassured: there wasn't anything in least intimidating or forbidding about the instructors or their teaching styles there (as vs. some of the techniques they were teaching... whoa, seriously scary!) There was just as much there for a beginner as for an experienced MAist—and achieving that is quite a trick!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was avoiding this thread as I'm still sulking about not being able to go!! I so wanted to meet up with people and train some traditional again. it sounds as if it was great and it's definite I'm coming next time! I'm glad thise that went had a great time though :)

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am glad those who have posted here, did enjoy the event. :D

Thank you for the kind words and for everyone being open to learning for me that is what I enjoyed. I did not hit the floor every time, as I was either workign some business or getting food into another instructor, (* We both needed it *). It was very good event.

I would like to say thanks to Tim and Janice for Hosting as well. :D They were in the middle of Move within the same complex. (* Landlords and timing and other business and all. :( *)

While the insructions was good and open, I wanted to say thanks to those that showed up to train. No event happens without the students. ;) :) :D

Thank you
:asian:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank you everyone again for making this our biggest event yet.

I'd like to ask something though. If there were anything that didn't work, any problems you encountered, please let me know. I want each year to be better than the last, and I need to know the good, and the bad. So, please shoot me pms with any concerns or complaints regarding this years event.

Thank you all again. :)

Father Greek

Green Belt
Reaction score
Don't blame your treasonous body Drac, Father Greek could have picked the young guys that heal quick to be uke's, but noooooooooo, he had to pick on us old guys, it's all his fault;)

Old guys are much more fun to have as uke's. They go bump much harder!:lol::lol: Thanks to you Tom for the chance to work with you and chat with you . I was able to walk away with more tools in my toolbox.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Old guys are much more fun to have as uke's. They go bump much harder!:lol::lol: Thanks to you Tom for the chance to work with you and chat with you . I was able to walk away with more tools in my toolbox.

We bump harder because of the extra weight :lol2:. It was a genuine pleasure meeting you and being uke :asian:.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am soooooo jealous. Post pics!!!!! NOW!!! lol

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
pics coming, late tonight or tomorrow. Theres a few in the other thread now.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
All I can say to those that couldn't make it, should try really hard next year, and also to say this: :p ! It was great training with all the varieties of people there, it was very relaxed, not one time was rank mentioned. The instructors were absolutely great! I know I came back with a lot of information to use!

Latest Discussions