Outstanding seminar with Gm. Pelligrini

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I got back earlier this evening from a superb seminar in Independence, Ohio, conducted by Gm. John Pelligrini and a fine group of Combat Hapkido instructors from the area, organized by our own Drac and Master Steven Fine. It was an all-around outstanding experience for me, not least because I had the pleasure of actually meeting Drac for the first time there. The venue was excellent, the organization went like clockwork, and everyone seemed to me to be extremely happy with the event by the end.

The big reason for that was pretty obvious: Gm. Pelligrini is a terrific teacher. Anyone who carries no more than 160lbs on a very slender frame, but can drop lean, muscular 200lb Marines (a contingent of whom were participants) to the floor with the most minimal movements—and they weren't compliant when they went down; my partner was one of them and when he applied them to me, there was no question that I was heading south!—has enormous credibility from the get-go. So there was the sense that we were in the presence of a combat master, someone with superlative technical savvy. But equally important was Gm. Pelligrini's presentation of the material: it took the form of a coherent, systematic set of increasingly complex drills and defensive methods, starting from a simple deflection/counterattack in response to a typical punching attack, focusing on the pros and cons of going inside vs. outside in response; adding on traps and locks, then armbars, to the earlier techs; single- and double-hand defensive movements to grabs and punches that could be ramped up into controlling moves, and finally some fairly advanced deflection/counterstrike/trap/throw combinations. We went from 10 a.m. to just about 5, with an hour off for lunch and a couple of 15 minute breaks along the way; but mostly it was nonstop CH, and my only regret is that my poor brain couldn't possibly retain more than a small fraction of what we covered.

I was very struck by the degree to which Gm. Pellegrini's system resembles in many respects the kinds of bunkai that people like Iain Abernethy, Bill Burgar and Rick Clark have provided for karate kata on the basis of painstaking research and `field-testing' under realistic conditions in simulated assault situations. It leads me to think that there really is a common core of defensive technique which underlies all martial arts—a point that Gm. Pellegrini spoke to very informatively in discussing the origins of the various Asian fighting systems and the thorough cross-pollination among these that have lead to their modern forms. He made some other crucial points as well—particularly, the need to practice self-defense moves repeatedly until, as he insightfully observed, fine motor skills and pattern become in effect gross motor skills. And his humor and good nature, evident throughout the seminar, made his serious message about the fundamental principles of self-defense strategy that much more effective.

All in all, totalling up the cost of the seminar, travel and lodging, I feel I got an incredible bargain. And kudos to Drac and the CH gang in the Cleveland area for putting on such a great show!

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm glad you had a good time, exile. It sounds like it was a good time. I'm wondering if you met Master Don Moore or Master Donnie Lewis (a Combat Hapkido 1st Dan, but a TKD 4th Dan).

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey that is great Exile!
icon14.gif
I knew this would be a good seminar and
I wish I could have made it.

Good job to Drac for organizing a great seminar as well!
icon14.gif

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
It sounds like you had a great time at the seminar! Kudo's to Drac for organizing it.

OP
exile

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm glad you had a good time, exile. It sounds like it was a good time. I'm wondering if you met Master Don Moore or Master Donnie Lewis (a Combat Hapkido 1st Dan, but a TKD 4th Dan).

Hi Iceman, no, unfortunately, I don't think they were there—Drac was introducing me to various people but they weren't among them, I don't believe.

Glad you had a great time, thank for sharring any pics?

You know, Terry, I kick myself for not having taken any photos. There was a great group photo at the end, and people running the show were taking pics—maybe Drac will be able to get some and post them—I think his wife snapped a few... Drac, any chance of getting a little gallery of shot up on MT?

Hey that is great Exile!
icon14.gif
I knew this would be a good seminar and
I wish I could have made it.

Good job to Drac for organizing a great seminar as well!
icon14.gif

You were defnitely missed, Brian—I was sorry not to have gotten to meet you too, and people were saying what a good time you'd have had if you'd been able to make it. But the next one, eh? :)

It sounds like you had a great time at the seminar! Kudo's to Drac for organizing it.

Absolutely, Kerri—it was so well done that it seemed to run itself; and you know whenever that happens that the thing has been planned meticulously.

Anyone who gets a chance to do one of these with Gm. Pelligrini—it's not even a question: just do it—you'll get so much out of it!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Great review!! Sounds like a fantastic time!!:ultracool

Mike

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks to exile for making the drive up and for the kind words..It was a GREAT first seminar for Father Greek and myself...Exile forgot to mention that we had a surprize visit from Bill "SuperFoot" Wallace who was giving a seminar and tournment at the same hotel that GM Pellegrini was staying at..If any pictures we taken I will post them...The next one should be better....

OP
exile

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks to exile for making the drive up and for the kind words..It was a GREAT first seminar for Father Greek and myself...Exile forgot to mention that we had a surprize visit from Bill "SuperFoot" Wallace who was giving a seminar and tournment at the same hotel that GM Pellegrini was staying at..If any pictures we taken I will post them...The next one should be better....

Drac, that's right about Bill Wallace... I think it was such an unexpected thing that I basically `jumped over' over it in my mind, but yes, he was there, and very cheerful and mellow he was, too!

On the other hand, it may have been just that after being driven to the floor for the fifth or sixth time by the cheerful young Marine who was my training partner, I kind of lost track of what had just happened. Gm. Pelligrini's techs were... well, kind of an offer you couldn't refuse. And those guys practice hard!. So after renewing my acquaintance with the floor shortly after the break where Bill Wallace was introduced, my short term memory may not have been too good...

Anyway, I am looking forward impatiently to the next event Drac and the chaps up in the Cleveland area set up...

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Father Greek and I need to catch up on ALL the sleep we lost preparing for this seminar before we plan the next one...

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

They were not there Iceman..

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I got back earlier this evening from a superb seminar in Independence, Ohio, conducted by Gm. John Pelligrini and a fine group of Combat Hapkido instructors from the area, organized by our own Drac and Master Steven Fine. It was an all-around outstanding experience for me, not least because I had the pleasure of actually meeting Drac for the first time there. The venue was excellent, the organization went like clockwork, and everyone seemed to me to be extremely happy with the event by the end.

The big reason for that was pretty obvious: Gm. Pelligrini is a terrific teacher. Anyone who carries no more than 160lbs on a very slender frame, but can drop lean, muscular 200lb Marines (a contingent of whom were participants) to the floor with the most minimal movements—and they weren't compliant when they went down; my partner was one of them and when he applied them to me, there was no question that I was heading south!—has enormous credibility from the get-go. So there was the sense that we were in the presence of a combat master, someone with superlative technical savvy. But equally important was Gm. Pelligrini's presentation of the material: it took the form of a coherent, systematic set of increasingly complex drills and defensive methods, starting from a simple deflection/counterattack in response to a typical punching attack, focusing on the pros and cons of going inside vs. outside in response; adding on traps and locks, then armbars, to the earlier techs; single- and double-hand defensive movements to grabs and punches that could be ramped up into controlling moves, and finally some fairly advanced deflection/counterstrike/trap/throw combinations. We went from 10 a.m. to just about 5, with an hour off for lunch and a couple of 15 minute breaks along the way; but mostly it was nonstop CH, and my only regret is that my poor brain couldn't possibly retain more than a small fraction of what we covered.

I was very struck by the degree to which Gm. Pellegrini's system resembles in many respects the kinds of bunkai that people like Iain Abernethy, Bill Burgar and Rick Clark have provided for karate kata on the basis of painstaking research and `field-testing' under realistic conditions in simulated assault situations. It leads me to think that there really is a common core of defensive technique which underlies all martial arts—a point that Gm. Pellegrini spoke to very informatively in discussing the origins of the various Asian fighting systems and the thorough cross-pollination among these that have lead to their modern forms. He made some other crucial points as well—particularly, the need to practice self-defense moves repeatedly until, as he insightfully observed, fine motor skills and pattern become in effect gross motor skills. And his humor and good nature, evident throughout the seminar, made his serious message about the fundamental principles of self-defense strategy that much more effective.

All in all, totalling up the cost of the seminar, travel and lodging, I feel I got an incredible bargain. And kudos to Drac and the CH gang in the Cleveland area for putting on such a great show!

Lucky bum. :)

TaiChiTJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the review. I would like to attend one of his seminars someday. Whatever people think about Combat Hapkido, they always say he is highly knowledgeable and a great teacher.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for the review. I would like to attend one of his seminars someday. Whatever people think about Combat Hapkido, they always say he is highly knowledgeable and a great teacher.

Check out the ICHF website for his upcoming seminars..Well worth the price of admission..

Latest Discussions