Travelling to Okinawa

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey all. Thought I would give this a whirl and see what becomes of it. We have a group going to Okinawa at the end of the month. This will be my second trip and I was wondering for site seeing purpose if anyone had any information on the following tombs/ monuments.

1. Miyagi Sensei
2. Kyan Sensei
3. Chibana Sensei
4. Motobu Sensei
5. Chinto Cave

And any other sites of interest. This may be a long shot but I figured i would give it a whirl!

Thanks

Rob

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey all. Thought I would give this a whirl and see what becomes of it. We have a group going to Okinawa at the end of the month. This will be my second trip and I was wondering for site seeing purpose if anyone had any information on the following tombs/ monuments.

1. Miyagi Sensei
2. Kyan Sensei
3. Chibana Sensei
4. Motobu Sensei
5. Chinto Cave

And any other sites of interest. This may be a long shot but I figured i would give it a whirl!

Thanks

Rob

Didn't you spend time with Eizo Shimabukuro? His brother, Tatsuo, trained directly with Kyan. You should ask Eizo about Kyan. Also, you could ask Zenpo Shimabukuro. His father, Zenryo, trained directly with Kyan.

Zenpo's dojo is in Chatan-cho, just across the street from Camp Foster or Lester (I get the two Camps mixed up now). It's the Camp with Gate that exits straight towards the American Village.

I lived in Kin-cho for 3.5 weeks last November. I walked a few times to Ginoza, but never visited Eizo. I met him in Okinawa City one time. I did visit the Kin-cho Budokan about 4 times to watch judo and Goju-Ryu classes and visit with the instructors.

Kannon-ji Temple is an interesting place in Kin-cho. Also, Hiji Falls, just North of Nago is worth the travel.

R. McLain

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Can't help you with the shrines, but here are some other sight-seeing opportunities:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e7101.html

The ruins of the castles are something to see. Peace Memorial Park and Navy Underground Headquarters are worthwhile, the latter being a pretty intense experience. Also check out the habu park - those things are mean little bastards.

Oh, and the little restaurant outside MCAS Futenma has really good food!
icon14.gif

OP
chinto01

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Didn't you spend time with Eizo Shimabukuro? His brother, Tatsuo, trained directly with Kyan. You should ask Eizo about Kyan. Also, you could ask Zenpo Shimabukuro. His father, Zenryo, trained directly with Kyan.

Zenpo's dojo is in Chatan-cho, just across the street from Camp Foster or Lester (I get the two Camps mixed up now). It's the Camp with Gate that exits straight towards the American Village.

I lived in Kin-cho for 3.5 weeks last November. I walked a few times to Ginoza, but never visited Eizo. I met him in Okinawa City one time. I did visit the Kin-cho Budokan about 4 times to watch judo and Goju-Ryu classes and visit with the instructors.

Kannon-ji Temple is an interesting place in Kin-cho. Also, Hiji Falls, just North of Nago is worth the travel.

R. McLain

Thanks for your reply and yes I have spent time with Shimabukuro Sensei. That was my first trip over however and parts of it were a blur. In talking with my friend who is going with us next month he knows where Kyan Sensei's monument is and the hija bridge. Rumor is that people do not visit his tomb because it is not maintained the way it should be and it is embarrasing to people. Will put the Hiji Falls on the list of things to do.

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

Latest Discussions