Attention All Kenpo Black Belts

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sounds OK to me. This system is offering to cross rank kenpo blackbelts and is providing the opportunity to achieve higher ranks by purchasing manuals, lessons and training from that point on. A system that advertizes cross ranking is unusual, but really no different from anyother school that allows cross ranking. Its just a piece of paper saying you told them you were a blackbelt.
Sean
PS I'll bet KajuKenbo people could strike up some sort of deal.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmmm, "all the requirements from 1st kyu to 10th Degree Black Belt" it says on the website...do beginners start at 1st kyu, not 10th kyu as usual?

When they capitalize Black Belt, I start worrying. If this isn't a diploma mill, I'm the Duchess of Cornwall (excuse me, I mean the Hanshi of Cornwall).

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
When they capitalize Black Belt, I start worrying. If this isn't a diploma mill, I'm the Duchess of Cornwall (excuse me, I mean the Hanshi of Cornwall).

Thank you arinisador, my sinuses are now clear as I just shot hot tea out of my nose after that remark.

In all seriousness, how can anyone accept rank in a system they have not trained in? If you want rank in a system then train in it, if you do not want to put the effort out to earn the rank then you flat out do not deserve it.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The jr. black belts are called sensei? Look at the stances, the hands...it's Sign Language for "Help me, I don't know what I'm doing." It's not the kids' fault, but it sure doesn't send a good message. I know jr. black belts are common and I won't bother to object, but granting the unmodified title sensei is too much for me.

I must grant that Touch'O'Death is right that many schools will cross-rank but don't advertise it...yet, one hopes that at the least that's on a one-on-one, evaluated in person basis.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Browsing through the website, it looks like to me this place is a collection of different martial stylists under one organizational roof. Now, if their instructors teach their specific styles under the same organization banner, then I do not see much of a problem here--just as long as they are upfront with what their specialities are.

The question I have is the use of the word: "cross rank". To merely give a black belt in a style to one who holds a black belt in a different style is deceptive. An honorary black belt does not mean expertise for the style it is meant to represent. If you actually mean to "cross train" by having the black belts train in their new style and then conferring a second black belt, then that would make sense. I can understand also the allowance for the student to perhaps wear their original black belt while studying for the second one, with the understanding that the first black belt does not in any way represent their expertise with the second style.

Hanshi McPeek,

Would you please elaborate further what you actually mean when you say "cross rank" and how do you ensure that the black belts who teach under you maintain the level of quality needed with whatever style they are to represent? Thank you.

- Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Browsing through the website, it looks like to me this place is a collection of different martial stylists under one organizational roof. Now, if their instructors teach their specific styles under the same organization banner, then I do not see much of a problem here--just as long as they are upfront with what their specialities are.

The question I have is the use of the word: "cross rank". To merely give a black belt in a style to one who holds a black belt in a different style is deceptive. An honorary black belt does not mean expertise for the style it is meant to represent. If you actually mean to "cross train" by having the black belts train in their new style and then conferring a second black belt, then that would make sense. I can understand also the allowance for the student to perhaps wear their original black belt while studying for the second one, with the understanding that the first black belt does not in any way represent their expertise with the second style.

Hanshi McPeek,

Would you please elaborate further what you actually mean when you say "cross rank" and how do you ensure that the black belts who teach under you maintain the level of quality needed with whatever style they are to represent? Thank you.

- Ceicei

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Guys, this is not jujitsu ranking, this is "kempo jujitsu" ranking...

Take it for what it is worth

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Guys, this is not jujitsu ranking, this is "kempo jujitsu" ranking...

Take it for what it is worth
I doubt it's even kempo jujutsu ranking. You gotta learn a machine before you can test for placement in the machine. The guys just trying to buff up his resume on the backs of other peoples hard work.

Regards,

Dave

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka said:
I doubt it's even kempo jujutsu ranking. You gotta learn a machine before you can test for placement in the machine. The guys just trying to buff up his resume on the backs of other peoples hard work.

Regards,

Dave
Yup, the more people under you in a organization the more "legit" you are.

dsp921

Green Belt
Reaction score
The website says: "If you are a legitimate Kenpo/Kempo Black Belt you are qualified to be issued immediate rank in Ju Jitsu."
That sounds like "cross ranking" to me. I guess is doesn't matter what words are used, it's still a Black Belt rank in an art you haven't trained in, and I have issues with that. It's not even saying that your current rank will simply be acknowedged by the school/association, they are issuing rank in their system.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The same original post was made on martialartsplanet and they just locked the thread immediately.

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I can make myself a certificate in Microsoft Word saying that I am a Black Belt in anything I want. I can even sign it after I print it out.

That doesn't make it true.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I was going to mention that this looks suspiciously like advertising to me. Against MT policy ... or at least in the wrong Forum for "services".

Is it on KenpoNet, KenpoTalk, or any of the Tracy Forums yet?
-MB

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, it is soooo hard to tell who's certificate is legit and who's is fake. But, you can tell when they start training where they are at.

OP
L

lonekimono10

Michael Billings said:
Oh yeah, I was going to mention that this looks suspiciously like advertising to me. Against MT policy ... or at least in the wrong Forum for "services".

Is it on KenpoNet, KenpoTalk, or any of the Tracy Forums yet?
-MB
Go get him Mike, i know what a hand sword feels like

Latest Discussions